Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OCPancho View Post
    Jose Luis Ramirez over Whitaker
    118-113
    Yep! That was disgusting. Sillyman trying to setup a mexican clash with Chavez meant that Whitaker got shafted real bad.

But 148-147 for Leonard-Duran 1 where Duran was only -2 and Leonard was -3 in a 15 round fight ???? Meaning the judge had TEN ROUNDS EVEN. TOP THAT.
    Not a fan of even rounds either. I think there was an Ali fight where a judge had 14 of 15 rounds even. How is that even possible?

Comment

Err , bad, worse , worst .

No such thing as more worse.
      Adjective- Positive, Comparative and Superlative.. Bad, Worse, Worst
      I was not correcting your grammer I was pointing out how bad judges decsions can be. I was being tongue in cheek to do so. Formal use of language versus creative use of language. "Wursts" are german sausages... so you can have more, or less "wursts." hence the metaphor "more wursts" than a German deli to detail how many bad decisions judges make.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
        Yes!!!!! Agreed. Having to give the round to one guy or the other has destroyed the sport. And when neither guy showed materially that they were effective, able to utilize a strategy, the fight is in fact a draw. There is so much they could do and be true to these concepts: A draw could elicit an overtime, or a rematch. Judging has indeed destroyed the integrity of this sport.
        We are in minority on this one ; everyone likes a conclusion. You know what they say, "a tie is like kissing your sister." (Which I always thought a perverse simile.) Judges who call too many rounds even don't get called back.

Comment

If you think 10 rounds of that fight were even, you probably take an hour to pick food at the buffet .
          See there lies the rub, I'm just like everyone else, I would have had no problem giving Duran rounds, I like Duran's style and didn't care much for Leonard as a person. So it would have been easy for me to find reasons to give Duran all the close rounds.

That's what happened with Canelo, most judges play a bull**** game where they alternate close rounds so they don't look bias; that one judge didn't (118-110) he went with his bias. There is no reason why you couldn't give any one of those rounds to Canelo, so why not all of them? Each round was just a matter of opinion based on style preference.

You would have been happy if he had deceived us and split the close rounds but made sure that Canelo got one extra round and then won a close fight, then you would have said, "well OK it was a close fight."

But because he didn't play the 'even out the close rounds game,' people point to him and call him crooked or stupid, he should have played the game and you all wouldn't have noticed him.

Like with Duran-Leonard, in Canelo-GGG almost all of the rounds looked identical! The other two judges, that called it close were just playing the game, they evened out the close rounds and protected their reputations so they will keep getting work.

Better to call the round even than play the 'even out the close rounds game.'

P.S. At buffets always take a small amount of food back to your table and then make multiple trips to the buffet line. This way you get to eat all of your food hot and you don't look like a gluten with a giant plate of food. I am old, I have an opinion about everything.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
            Is the 118-110 for Leonard against Hagler up there?
            Hagler got his áss fùcking beat. Here is my score from my most recent watch sometime around June of 2018. 118-110 isn't that far off the mark.

Comment

Originally posted by McDonough View Post
              Hagler got his áss fùcking beat. Here is my score from my most recent watch sometime around June of 2018. 118-110 isn't that far off the mark.

Hagler got out boxed, but I thought I was paying for a prize fight not a boxing match. Yea there is no doubt you can count all those Leonard punches and come up with that score, now please point out when Leonard 'beat' the man in front of him?

That was a no decision fight; the matter left unsettled!

I don't particularity like paying $35 (in a late '80s economy) to watch two men spar, and that was as much Hagler's fault as Leonard's; neither man was willing to move the boxing to the next level, fighting.

Comment

When it comes to even rounds, this one is hard to beat:

When Carmelo Bossi defended his super welterweight crown against Jose Hernandez back in 1971, not only did the fight end in a draw… one judge scored ALL 15 rounds even!

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey-Louis View Post
                  Hagler got out boxed, but I thought I was paying for a prize fight not a boxing match. Yea there is no doubt you can count all those Leonard punches and come up with that score, now please point out when Leonard 'beat' the man in front of him?

That was a no decision fight; the matter left unsettled!

I don't particularity like paying $35 (in a late '80s economy) to watch two men spar, and that was as much Hagler's fault as Leonard's; neither man was willing to move the boxing to the next level, fighting.
                  Fùck off. Idiots like you are poison to Boxing. You wanted Hagler to win and he got his shít kicked in. Get over it, it's been a 100 years.

Go watch round 9 again, thats called War. You're being a revisionist that is getting doubts. You know Hagler lost now you're making excuses it wasn't a brawl, pathetic!

You win the fight by winning rounds. Leonard won the rounds and kicked Haglers áss with a bad eye and a THREE YEAR LAYOFF!!! The beating the champ is all mythos created by butthurt cheerleaders.

Hagler was one dimensional, Leonard was multi-dimensional. He knew when to box and when to brawl. Hagler wasn't that good. Beating up on smaller fighters coming up doesn't make you great. Winky is another one and its almost like he never existed.

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey-Louis View Post
                    We are in minority on this one ; everyone likes a conclusion. You know what they say, "a tie is like kissing your sister." (Which I always thought a perverse simile.) Judges who call too many rounds even don't get called back.
                    Indeed. By a unique process of elimination i can tell you with certainty at least one person who did not make that simile up... starts waiving hands around chanting, asking the great karnac for guidance...a few minutes later Yes yes its all coming clear now, that one person is...Raquel Welche's Step brother.

Comment

This issue seems to be upsetting to some. Perhaps people could appreciate Dempsey's point more if they saw the big picture.

Boxing used to be a lot like real combat. There was punching in close, grappling, footwork, angles, etc. Gradually as it became more abstract and focused on the punches, the sport became more about landing punches, whether effective, or not. This understanding of boxing is the Amateur game which should tell one all they need to know about how it has affected the art of boxing.

Comment

Working...
                      X