No announcement yet.

Wilder-Fury U.S. PPV price set at $75

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
    That's off the point...they need to sell 500k to match his 2 biggest fights.

What do you consider tremendous? I consider £15-20 million pay days every fight pretty tremendous

$37.5 million in gross ppv revenue, well over $10 million in gross gate revenue is not tremendous? You have high expectations...
    When I say revenue, I'm referring to what a fight generates.

One, we don't know what Joshua sells PPV-wise. We can estimate, and some do, but Hearn and Sky would actually have to open their books in order for us to know. It's in their best interest to leak #'s that don't err on the side of accuracy.

If the Wilder-Fury fight does $350K, that's $26m in revenue. Throw in another $10m at the gate and I'd guess altogether it's slightly less or comparable to the average Joshua fight. Not enough for 50-50 (or maybe it will be, who knows?), but completely alters the game as far as negotiation. Which is why Hearn is hellbent on concentrating on the gate and PPV #s, not the gate and PPV revenue.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
      This would be his first PPV, and it’s obvious Fury helps if the sales. Would Wilder/Breazeale sell as much or even be on PPV? At the end of the day the market would dictates what they both deserve.

I just don’t think any fighter should hold each other to ransom over money, if they can’t come to an agreement due to money then that isn’t a “Duck” especially when your side doesn’t bring as much revenue to the table.
      Let's see what the fight does and the outcome, I don't think it has any bearing on a potential Joshua-Fury fight as Fury is a household name in the UK, that will break records.

But there are 3 possibilities for Wilder, fight does poorly and he shoots himself in the foot in terms of a negotiating position with Joshua, the fight does ok and his position is boosted slightly because of the W, the fight does well and with the W, he pushes himself to 50/50 or close to it.

If he loses then it puts a further negative emphasis on each scenario. If he loses and it's scenario A, then this will be one of the dumbest career moves in the history of boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
        When I say revenue, I'm referring to what a fight generates.

One, we don't know what Joshua sells PPV-wise. We can estimate, and some do, but Hearn and Sky would actually have to open their books in order for us to know. It's in their best interest to leak #'s that don't err on the side of accuracy.

If the Wilder-Fury fight does $350K, that's $26m in revenue. Throw in another $10m at the gate and I'd guess altogether it's slightly less or comparable to the average Joshua fight. Not enough for 50-50 (or maybe it will be, who knows?), but completely alters the game as far as negotiation. Which is why Hearn is hellbent on concentrating on the gate and PPV #s, not the gate and PPV revenue.
        I know what you meant ��

Luckily we don't have to guess...

I don't think he avoids the revenue question, he's addressed it in several interviews. My point is that Fury is as high profile of an opponent as you can get outside Joshua, and Joshua himself has done those types of numbers with Parker.

Anyway let's see what it does first.

https://www.***************.net/2018...nthony-joshua/

Here’s the full list of Pay TV figures:

(only including Sky Sports and Primetime (excluding Ali v Henry)

21 May 1966: Muhammad Ali vs. Henry Cooper II – 40,000
        16 March 1996: Frank Bruno vs. Mike Tyson II – 600,000
        8 February 1997: Naseem Hamed vs. Tom Johnson – 650,000
        28 June 1997: Evander Holyfield vs. Mike Tyson II – 550,000
        13 March 1999: Evander Holyfield vs. Lennox Lewis – 400,000
        29 January 2000: Mike Tyson vs. Julius Francis – 500,000
        8 June 2002: Lennox Lewis vs. Mike Tyson – 750,000
        8 December 2007: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ricky Hatton – 1,150,000
        18 July 2009: Amir Khan vs. Andreas Kotelnik – 100,000
        7 November 2009: Nikolai Valuev vs. David Haye – 469,000
        3 April 2010: David Haye vs. John Ruiz – 177,000
        24 April 2010: Carl Froch vs. Mikkel Kessler – 50,000
        18 September 2010: Kell Brook vs. Michael Jennings – 15,000
        13 November 2010: David Haye vs. Audley Harrison – 223,000
        11 December 2010: Amir Khan vs. Marcos Maidana – 164,000
        16 April 2011: Amir Khan vs. Paul McCloskey – 200,000
        21 May 2011: George Groves vs. James DeGale – 43,000
        2 July 2011: Wladimir Klitschko vs. David Haye – 1,143,000
        25 May 2013: Carl Froch vs. Mikkel Kessler II – 32,000
        23 November 2013: Carl Froch vs. George Groves – 47,000
        31 May 2014: Carl Froch vs. George Groves II – 355,000
        30 May 2015: Kell Brook vs. Frankie Gavin – 139,000
        2 May 2015: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Manny Pacquiao – 876,000
        28 November 2015: Wladimir Klitschko vs. Tyson Fury – 545,000
        12 December 2015: Anthony Joshua vs. Dillian Whyte – 420,000
        27 February 2016: Carl Frampton vs. Scott Quigg – 304,000
        9 April 2016: Anthony Joshua vs. Charles Martin – 500,000
        25 June 2016: Anthony Joshua vs. Dominic Breazeale – 512,000
        10 September 2016: Gennady Golovkin vs. Kell Brook – 500,000
        10 December 2016: Anthony Joshua vs. Éric Molina – 450,000
        4 March 2017: David Haye vs. Tony Bellew – 890,000
        29 April 2017: Anthony Joshua vs. Wladimir Klitschko – 1,532,000
        27 May 2017: Kell Brook vs. Errol Spence Jr. – 275,000
        26 August 2017: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Conor McGregor – 874,000
        28 October 2017 – Anthony Joshua vs. Carlos Takam – 887,000
        31 March 2018: Anthony Joshua vs. Joseph Parker – 1,457,000
        5 May 2018: David Haye vs. Tony Bellew II – 775,000
        28 July 2018: Dillian Whyte vs. Joseph Parker – 474,000

Comment

I know what you meant 😁

Luckily we don't have to guess...

I don't think he avoids the revenue question, he's addressed it in several interviews. My point is that Fury is as high profile of an opponent as you can get outside Joshua, and Joshua himself has done those types of numbers with Parker.

Anyway let's see what it does first.

https://www.***************.net/2018...nthony-joshua/
          Fury isn’t really a big name here.

Anyway, the revenue numbers aren’t far off. We’ll see.

Comment

Fury isn’t really a big name here.

Anyway, the revenue numbers aren’t far off. We’ll see.
            Well then they should have done the fight in the UK, because as I said he's as big a name as they are going to get, so if they can't sell at least reasonable with Fury they won't be able to sell anything

Comment

Well then they should have done the fight in the UK, because as I said he's as big a name as they are going to get, so if they can't sell at least reasonable with Fury they won't be able to sell anything
              Why? It’s about revenue, not the # of cheap seats that sell.

Comment

Why? It’s about revenue, not the # of cheap seats that sell.
                They're selling tickets at $75 in LA....

Comment

Originally posted by rolshans View Post
                  They're selling tickets at $75 in LA....
                  65,000 of them?

Comment

Let's see what the fight does and the outcome, I don't think it has any bearing on a potential Joshua-Fury fight as Fury is a household name in the UK, that will break records.

But there are 3 possibilities for Wilder, fight does poorly and he shoots himself in the foot in terms of a negotiating position with Joshua, the fight does ok and his position is boosted slightly because of the W, the fight does well and with the W, he pushes himself to 50/50 or close to it.

If he loses then it puts a further negative emphasis on each scenario. If he loses and it's scenario A, then this will be one of the dumbest career moves in the history of boxing.
                    Am hoping for this highlighted bit, Hearn has already being quoted in that regards, so am hoping this fight does well. But would Team Wilder open the books when it comes to negotiating?

I mean they can pul the same stuff like they did with the 50m offer but no meeting, they can come out and said the fight sold 2m PPV buys. And then refuse to open the actual book.

If the fight sells poorly then we would never see Joshua/Wilder, why? because Wilder is sooo deluded he would still think he deserves on par with whatever the number 1 guy is making, he is sooooo deluded now that he thinks beating Fury makes him the man at HW.

Comment

This was a real opportunity to make wilder a huge star in the USA. To let the casual fans see his devastating knockout power.

And they've gone and ruined it. Must be donkeys working at Showtime.

UK price will be 24.99

Comment

Working...
                      X