Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Tony Bellew - Just a World-Class Fighter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure I’m liking the disrespect Gassiev’s getting. Saying Bellew went out on his sheild unlike Gassiev implies that Gassiev didn’t put the effort in but Bellew went out on some kind of kamikaze mission.

It was Bellew that was in fact playing keep away from the first round & got knocked out when he could no longer handle the pressure and started to gas.

Gassiev kept trying to take the fight to Usyk but was too one dimensional and not really good enough. He kept trying to take the fight to Usyk even when he realised he wasn’t good enough.

Gassiev was badly outclassed but he was still there in the 12th trying to land his big shots. Bellew’s facial expression and body language from the 5th showed a beaten man and only a matter of time before Usyk was going to put him away.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
      Nobody rated Bellew at all until he fought an injured Haye (whom Bellew was losing to before his tendon completely went), then suddenly he's a top fighter.
      it was only a few casuals and the sky crew (who bellew works with tbf) that were giving him a shot.

I think everyone else knew exactly what he is

Of course the narrative now is "all the brits thought bellew was the new SRR"

Comment

Originally posted by Chrismart View Post
        The Blues I know were a bit over the top with Bellew as a fighter. They had gone from not knowing who he was before the Goodison fight, to calling him one of Britain's best ever for beating a ran down Haye. One lad I know even called him a 2 weight world champ, because for some reason he was convinced the Haye fight was for a world title. He was adamant on it.
        Theres now a narrative up and down county road that bellew is my citys best ever fighter.

I think they are forgetting about John conteh and hoko.

Bellew had a fantastic career but without the gifted wbc title, (drozd would have murked him) he should be renembered along with holligan and neary.

Im sure if they would have had such easy routes to titles and promotional backing the way todays fighters have they could have made even bigger impacts.

Comment

Just more fluff nonsense. Bellew "won" rounds where Usyk did nothing. Bellew got destroyed as soon as Usyk opened up.

For those talking about great Bellew's character is, he repeatedly tells us he'd be in prison right now if not for boxing. Does that sound like somebody with great character? lol

Beating one-legged fighters doesn't make your career "fantastic" or any other ridiculous word people want to throw around here. He over-achieved as in casuals gave him credit where credit was not due and he never accomplished anything before or after Haye. Winning a vacant belt vs a bum and defending it vs another bum doesn't count.

As far as the Gassiev comment, I'd say Bellew gave a better effort. Gassiev is either very overrated or he fought to survive.

Comment

Originally posted by mmamachine View Post
            He beat cleverly in a rematch you know at cruiserweight? But you know that right?

Edit > that was for tatabayna
            Cleverly was never a cruiser, he didn't struggle to make light heavy, and promptly moved back down after that fight. He beat him handily at 175.

Comment

Originally posted by Tatabanya View Post
              I do not recognize myself in what you wrote in the first paragraph.

I do agree with you on everything else. The point of my remarks is just to emphasize how aggrandizing the article's headline is. Tony Bellew was definitely as respectable as every serious fighter there is, and he has been willing to mix it up against superior foes.

But a world class fighter he ain't, and has never been. He has FOUGHT against world class fighters, but has not reached that level.

Neither elite, nor world class then. Call him an overachiever, only at times entertaining.
              I concur with this. He failed against world class fighters. He wasn't world class himself. His best wins were Makabu, Flores and shot to pieces Haye - I don't see that as justifying world class categorization. If it is, it is very much the lower end of world class.

Comment

Originally posted by TinAgeOfBoxing View Post
                Best victory for Bellew was Makabu and Makabu had a one year layoff leading into that fight.
                And Makabu had just come off beating a top contender in Mchunu in an absolute war

Nobody rated Bellew at all until he fought an injured Haye (whom Bellew was losing to before his tendon completely went), then suddenly he's a top fighter.
                Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
                This^^^^^^^^
                Completely forgetting the fact Haye himself cherry picked Bellew. Why do boxing fans have amnesia? Haye had all these death threats and how Bellew was going to be an easy fight, he had five rounds to knock out and did Jack ****ing ****. The fact is Haye cherry picked a fat Bellew, it backfired, people don't like the fact that a cherry pick backfired (**** me) and now they want to forget it ever happened

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
                This is what you expect at Bscene now. Unfortunately, most of the people who post here have no knowledge of boxing and no respect for boxers.

Tony Bellew may not have elite level skill or talent, but he has heart, character, and a will of iron. He was outclassed by a great opponent but gave everybody who paid to watch this fight their money's worth and more.

Boxing needs men like Bellew. He will be missed.

Simple as that.
                People judge Bellew with their emotions and not logic or sound reasoning. A lot of them appear upset he turned back Haye after being cherry picked. Yep, people are actually mad that a cherry pick backfired. That's how ****ed up boxing fans are nowadays. They forget Haye disrespecting the sport by training on a yacht, Haye forcing a fat Bellew to move to heavyweight, Haye making death threats and Haye claiming it would be the easiest fight of his career. Boxing fans a ****ing joke, we should be celebrating cherry picks being backfired so fighters can stop doing it. Instead, people are upset because Bellew doe.

Bellew will go down as a very good fighter. That's it, not elite, not pound for pound but very good with a world level heart and desire

Comment

Originally posted by E-Thug View Post
                  And Makabu had just come off beating a top contender in Mchunu in an absolute war

Completely forgetting the fact Haye himself cherry picked Bellew. Why do boxing fans have amnesia? Haye had all these death threats and how Bellew was going to be an easy fight, he had five rounds to knock out and did Jack ****ing ****. The fact is Haye cherry picked a fat Bellew, it backfired, people don't like the fact that a cherry pick backfired (**** me) and now they want to forget it ever happened

People judge Bellew with their emotions and not logic or sound reasoning. A lot of them appear upset he turned back Haye after being cherry picked. Yep, people are actually mad that a cherry pick backfired. That's how ****ed up boxing fans are nowadays. They forget Haye disrespecting the sport by training on a yacht, Haye forcing a fat Bellew to move to heavyweight, Haye making death threats and Haye claiming it would be the easiest fight of his career. Boxing fans a ****ing joke, we should be celebrating cherry picks being backfired so fighters can stop doing it. Instead, people are upset because Bellew doe.

Bellew will go down as a very good fighter. That's it, not elite, not pound for pound but very good with a world level heart and desire
                  Who's mad? Only one seems to be you. The point is Bellew got overrated because he beat an injured, old Haye. He should get very little credit for those wins.

Comment

Who's mad? Only one seems to be you. The point is Bellew got overrated because he beat an injured, old Haye. He should get very little credit for those wins.
                    Dude went on on how Haye cherry picked Bellew as if that somehow negates the fact Haye was injured going into the fight. That doesn't make the win better

Comment

Bellew was very cagey , good technically and a very dangerous counter puncher. It was his conditioning let him down imo vs Usyk, he was not very physically strong or fit as he needed to be (prob dropping the weight rather than maintaining good lean CW Mass) but very dangerous guy.
                      Anyone that thinks Bellew was a crude slugger because of the way he looks or talks doesn't know the sport

Comment

Working...
                      X