No announcement yet.

Why cant Usyk have success at HW?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by earl-hickey View Post
    He will be good enough to handle the guys below elite level but the gulf in class between that and elite is HUGE.

Against the elite he has a few things going against him

1. He's not really elusive. Compare to a David Haye who in his prime was able to avoid getting hit for 12 rounds if he didn't want to. That's not Usyk, he takes shots in every fight, he's not difficult to lay a glove on.

2. He doesn't hit that hard, yes I know he ktfo Bellew, so did Adonis Stevenson, Makabu had Bellew on queer street, so have various 175lb journeymen. Usyk doesn't hit as hard as a prime Haye or Holyfield

3. Unproven chin, now he MAY turn out to have evander holyfield type toughness but i don't know, and I think that's an outside hope.

So you are looking at a guy who the big boys aren't going to fear what's coming back too much, who (in Wilder and Joshuas case) are MURDEROUS punchers who basically knock out or at least seriously hurt anyone they land a clean punch on.

Skill is cool, but Wilder and Joshua have already beaten guys who were more skilled than them AND who were huge punchers.

Personal opinion here, Usyk should forge a dynasty at CW and head north for selected fights, do the roy Jones approach
    How can he be very hittable but have an unproven chin? Hes been in with big punchers

Comment

The only thing counting against Uskyk -

He doesn't have outstanding power at cruiserweight so there's little reason to believe that just because he puts on some more muscle he's suddenly going to become a monster puncher, thus the big hitters at HW will just walk through him, wear him down and stop him.

He may be the same size as the likes of Ortiz and Povetkin but he's got nowhere near the punch as them.

Comment

Originally posted by DramaShow View Post
        How can he be very hittable but have an unproven chin? Hes been in with big punchers
        how do you think he'd hold up against the shots that Joshua knocked Povetkin out with?

Comment

Cunningham out fury down so usyk will do well. Regardless of whether he hits as hard as haye

Comment

i think people also need to remember that a lot of the heavyweights will actually be a pretty good style for Usyk.

someone like AJ that fights in straight lines, upright and fairly basic would be bread and butter for Usyk if they were the same size...but they're not.

Bellew isn't the best boxer in the world, but he can give movement and looks that your average heavyweight wont because he's more mobile and smaller. Plus he went in with a very specific game plan.

You can't use the fight with Bellew to gauge how well Usyk can do at heavyweight because the styles are so different. we're only going to know when it happens.

would i be surprised if Usyk schools them? no not at all. There's no elite boxers at Heavyweight today, some very good ones but he is far more skilled.

would i be surprised if he gets folded like a chair? no, it's very possible too.
            Last edited by TheBigLug; 11-11-2018, 09:27 AM.

Comment

You've o nly really excuse to wonder whether a cruiserweight will do well at heavyweight is If if the cruiserweight division is weak and heavyweight division is strong?
              Cruiserweight can be candidates for being best heavyweights ever like holyitfield was. So shouldn't have doubts about usyk unless you have a specific reason to
              Last edited by hugh grant; 11-11-2018, 09:35 AM.

Comment

People in here say Usyk doesn't have a chance at HW because he has no power.

Then turn around and say a healthy Tyson Fury would own the HW division despite the fact that he has no real power.

So people have to get their stories straight. Boxer or Puncher?

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigLug View Post
                  i think people also need to remember that a lot of the heavyweights will actually be a pretty good style for Usyk.

someone like AJ that fights in straight lines, upright and fairly basic would be bread and butter for Usyk if they were the same size...but they're not.

Bellew isn't the best boxer in the world, but he can give movement and looks that your average heavyweight wont because he's more mobile and smaller. Plus he went in with a very specific game plan.

You can't use the fight with Bellew to gauge how well Usyk can do at heavyweight because the styles are so different. we're only going to know when it happens.

would i be surprised if Usyk schools them? no not at all. There's no elite boxers at Heavyweight today, some very good ones but he is far more skilled.

would i be surprised if he gets folded like a chair? no, it's very possible too.
                  agree with all this.

moving up is a chance he needs to take, there is nothing else at CW for him, if he remains the faster guy there, regardless of the weight he might put, he has a more than decent chance vs the top guys (joshua, wilder)

Comment

Originally posted by Southpawology View Post
                    I agree slowly work his way up the division. He still also has to prove his chin at HW.
                    Exactly..... But am sure he will do well but he is going to loose some speed once he starts adding some weight.

Comment

Originally posted by earl-hickey View Post
                      how do you think he'd hold up against the shots that Joshua knocked Povetkin out with?
                      Povetkin's not very good though.

I know everyone wants to pretend Pov's this great HW because he has a resume but it's a resume of leftovers for a reason.

Not even Povetkin believes Povetkin will be the first man to figure out any decent man.

He took two 0s his entire career and got in the way of no fighter who debuted after him to stop them from getting a world title before him.

So, that said, yeah I think Usyk has already proven a caginess Povetkin didn't even have the confidence to try.

Povetkin a bit of a choke and a whole lot of lack of confidence. All his meaningful fights are rough on him or he loses and every win worth half a damn only came after some other man exposed the plan to Pov.

Usyk has shown enough chin to know it's there and enough confidence, determination, and wherewithal to figure a man out mid fight.

Povetkin has not and did not. The best you can say about Povetkin is he walked through Wach or had a real good fight with Ruslan.....Wach only has a 46% KO ratio.

So yeah...Pov may have never been OK'd but which of the losers with low KO ratios do you reckon should have KO'd him? All you're really bragging about is he survived Wlad....a man who carried Mormeck to mid rounds.

Comment

Working...
                      X