No announcement yet.

Jab vs Body shot?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jab2Death View Post
    I'm asking if you think Canelo's body shots are more powerful than GGG's jabs? I watched a lot of Wlad opponents lose because of a jab.
    Canelo's body shots made GGG run all night. That should tell you the whole story right there.

Watch the fight again and focus on how GGG reacted every time Canelo landed to the body.

He winced, grimaced, scowled, and moved ten steps back every time. (Ten steps is an exaggeration yes but you get the point).

Comment

It depends on quality and quantity.

A humongous thudding shot to the liver isn't the same as a glancing hook to the side.

There are also dimensions to jabbing, some jabs are taps, some jabs are like slamming your head on a concrete wall.

Quantity can overrule quantity. If you're landing a shot over and over and an opponent has no defense for it, that can score higher than a single power shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
        Canelo landed more hard shots to the head in both fights. Golovkin landed more punches in both fights, Canelo landed more hard punches. This thread is about you trying to make Golovkins jab into being equal to Canelo's power punches and they aren't. Golovkin got battered with the more hard shots than Canelo.
        I don't see how you come to that conclusion. I think every punch that GGG throws is harder than every punch Canelo throws. I mean that in a the way that punch for punch GGG's power punches and jabs are harder punches.

Again, this thread and poll is about posters claiming Canelo won because of body shots and GGG lost because of a lack of body shots and landing too many jabs. I don't understand that argument and nobody has proved how that argument is a successful one to make. People can vote one way or another, but unless you can explain to me how Canelo's body shots were more effective than GGG's jabs it means nothing.

I just like having discussions sometimes and seeing so many posts about the same thing made me want to discuss this. Bottom line is the first fight went down as a draw and the second fight went down as a Canelo victory. I disagree with both and it doesn't matter to me. I know GGG is the better fighter and know he won both fights, as do a majority of people that watched both fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Sledgeweather17 View Post
          Canelo's body shots made GGG run all night. That should tell you the whole story right there.

Watch the fight again and focus on how GGG reacted every time Canelo landed to the body.

He winced, grimaced, scowled, and moved ten steps back every time. (Ten steps is an exaggeration yes but you get the point).
          So, GGG ran this fight? Did Canelo run the first fight?

I saw Canelo land a body shot and get countered with a very powerful jab that would snap his head back.

Do you think Canelo won because of body shots? In your opinion are Canelo's body shots 2.5 times more damaging than GGG's jabs?

Comment

Again, going from how the fight transpired over the last half of the fight, not only did Canelo not knock the "tree" down by hitting it's trunk, he also didn't even prove the punches were effective. GGG only got stronger as the fight progressed. How do you explain that?

And, is the head a part of the trunk in this analogy. If so, GGG hit Canelo's trunk more times and harder than vice versa.
            Of course they were effective, not enough to knock him down, but enough to take away his “knockout power.” We can’t compare a short range jab to a full range weight carrying power punch. A fighter can eat jabs all night, he won’t be able to eat full range power shots all night though.

Comment

GGG's jabs aren't Mayweather jabs. His jabs snap back heads. He's throwing power jabs that cause damage and hurt. I don't see how anyone can think Canelo landed the harder punches last night.
              First of all, I'd like you to watch Mayweather vs Canelo and tell me who landed the most damaging jabs, the 5 division welterweight or the Kazakh with the much overrated power.

Second, GGG's jab is far from a power punch. It's a good, somewhat slow, textbook jab with slightly over average power. If you want to see a power jab, look at Kovalev, Jermall Charlo or Vladimir Klitschko.

And I'm not even going to address that ridiculous last statement. If you want to get taken seriously as a boxing fan, learn how to take off the fanboy glasses and watch a fight objectively.

Comment

I want you to take a good look at a lot of these jabs ggg was missing in round 10. Do you consider these quality jabs? The amount of jabs that he sat on and actually landed were few in between the pitty pat bull**** and the quality counters he was getting hit by. The body shot Canelo landed around 20 secs and 1:49 had ggg reeling back.

Canelo walked through ggg's jabs, ggg could not do the same for Canelo's body punches, BIG difference in the effects of these punches.

Comment

Originally posted by OCPancho View Post
                  Hooks to the body are harder than jabs.
                  No matter how you paint that jab.
                  You ever see someone quit after getting a jab ?

A lot have quit or went out with a body shot.
                  Ahem. That can be debated.

Jab broke ribs...

Jab solid knock down...

Last edited by Vlad_; 09-17-2018, 08:25 AM.

Comment

I always thought head shots were worth more in terms of scoring, just like in the amateurs.

Comment

First time poster, long time lurker. I've read a lot of posts about GGG Canelo 2 and have seen many comments about Canelo's body shots from people who believe Canelo rightfully won. Also, many people using GGG's lack of body shots and his plethora of jabs as two of the main reasons he lost.

I consider myself a big boxing fan, but have not nor ever will consider myself to be a boxing expert. Specifically for this fight I don't believe Canelo's body shots deserve more or even equal scoring to GGG's jabs. GGG's jabs aren't Mayweather jabs. His jabs snap back heads. He's throwing power jabs that cause damage and hurt. I don't see how anyone can think Canelo landed the harder punches last night. I want to know if people that follow this sport really believe Canelo's body shots were better punches than GGG's jabs.
                      Both are effective and were important in the fight but think canelo’s body punches get the nod here. Their damage was apparent and probably what got GGG to tire early in the mid rounds. That’s what made GGG hesitant to throw his right, and to throw some body punches himself.

Floyd’s jab > GGG by a significant margin though. Floyd’s game rely on that jab. He sets his right with it. He disrupts your charge and rhythm with it. He scores with it. That reaching Jab to the body is totally underrated. It just stops you on your tracks, and when you try to counter it he throws the right like a missile.
                      That jab to the body never misses.

No jab of GGG is equal to the add eventhough his is great as well. And more damaging.

Comment

Working...
                      X