No announcement yet.

POLL: Predict the weights for Brook / Golovkin

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post
    Golovkin's been coming in at 170lbs on the HBO scales. I think we'll see Brook weigh-in just under 160, then rehydrate about 165 before the fight. The last thing Brook wants to do is come in heavy (water logged). It'll only slow him down and leave him with less energy. I'd rather see Brook come in light for this fight.
    I think this is what majority of the posters expect, but if I was Brook, I'd do the complete opposite. There's a film study of Golovkin vs. Monroe that I found very interesting. Here it is:

What he is saying is that Golovkin is too good at hunting and cutting off the ring, that trying to beat him by staying on the outside and boxing is not going to work. He thinks in order to beat him, you either need to take the fight inside or to force him back with aggression.

This can be the right approach for Brook. Everyone already expects this to be a mismatch and that Golovkin will get an early KO. Coming in light and planning to fight 12 rounds is probably not gonna happen, one way or another.

Comment

Originally posted by j0zef View Post
      I think this is what majority of the posters expect, but if I was Brook, I'd do the complete opposite. There's a film study of Golovkin vs. Monroe that I found very interesting. Here it is:

What he is saying is that Golovkin is too good at hunting and cutting off the ring, that trying to beat him by staying on the outside and boxing is not going to work. He thinks in order to beat him, you either need to take the fight inside or to force him back with aggression.

This can be the right approach for Brook. Everyone already expects this to be a mismatch and that Golovkin will get an early KO. Coming in light and planning to fight 12 rounds is probably not gonna happen, one way or another.
      I've just never bought into the 'Golovkin can't fight on the inside' theory. Yeah Monroe & Ouma had more offensive success on the inside, but as they opened up more, they were chewed up. GGG doesn't stop punching you when you sit on his chest like someone such as Kessler. He'll hit you on your hips, arms, top of your head, ect.

Golovkin is also very good at avoiding clinches by keeping his hands close to his body and stepping aside when his opponent's move in for a tie up, and if they do tie him up, he has various techniques to break the clench. He's long trained in wrestling, we just rarely get to see it. Adama tried clinching and Golovkin snapped Adama's chin on top of his head.

Brook's natural strengths are as a counter puncher with fast hands and excellent leverage on short shots and most importantly - fast feet. Brook's only hope is that he has enough power to get Golovkin's respect, dodge the jab, then he can lead with a power shot and get the hell out of there. That's the only way Brook wins the fight and he'll need stamina to do it.

Comment

Working...
      X