No announcement yet.

Thompson, Price, Mitchell, Jenkins: Notes from Ringside

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thompson, Price, Mitchell, Jenkins: Notes from Ringside

I was at York Hall last night for the Prizefighter and it is quite easily the best Prize fighter we've had in a long, long time. It was good to see Kev back, very good bloke who hasn't had his best luck inside the ring. So jere are a few of my thoughts from the action last night.

First off, let's get the biggest news story out of the way, Tony Thompson, a 41 year old veteran has pushed himself back into the spotlight. People are already calling him the best active American Heavyweight, that is either wishful thinking or a representation of the sorry state of the division across the pond. I personally believe it's the former, guys like Wilder or Jennings would hurt Thompson and possibly stop him but I think Thompson may be in line to face Vitali and get one last huge payday. I like David, he's a nice guy with real physical advantages over a lot of heavyweights but he doesn't seem to have the conditioning, the mental fortitude or the killer instinct to survive at the highest level. He was built up to a level where he should never have been, I hold my hands up to being a guy who pre-Thompson 1, thought Price was the future of the division. Take nothing away from TT but he beat up on a guy who seems to be done with the sport.

Now we come to the difficult part, David Price, as I've said before, he is a nice guy, anyone who has met him will agree to that and want him to do well. The problem is, he doesn't have it in him to be the best, whether it is physical or psychological may still be up for debate. I think it's both. He fought a string of average domestic fighters and some has beens. Can he go back to the domestic level? Who will he fight? Fury is moving onto bigger things. Chisora may be a worthy opponent but I think he'd lose. The likes of McDermott, Sexton, Rogan are all done. There's Towers but would anyone pay to watch that? It's a difficult situation for Price to retire so young, he own't want to and I doubt he will. If he does, where does he go from now? Leaving the sport he loves a depressed broken man. I sincerely hope things work out for him.

Now on to brighter things, Mitchell and Jenkins were really good last night. Jenkins is a guy I hadn't even heard of before last night but the young man proved himself to be a cut above the usual Prizefighter fare. He has good handspeed, decent power, solid defence and can trade as well as box. The kid has a bright future and the next 12-18 months should be a lot of fun. Mitchell on the other hand got in some good rounds with Benito, showed his skill and class and every now and then proved he still has legit power. How far will he go? I don't think he is world level but he can easily best the likes of a faded Rees or Crolla or Mathews. All good fights, all good money spinners which will probably get him another shot at the world title.

What did you guys think of last night? Who impressed you most? Where do you guys think this lot are headed?
Working...
X