No announcement yet.

Court Rules That Medical Marijuana Card Holders Can't Buy Firearms

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court Rules That Medical Marijuana Card Holders Can't Buy Firearms

If you have a medical marijuana card, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals says that you can’t buy a gun.

The court ruled 3-0 on Wednesday that a ban preventing medical marijuana card holders from purchasing firearms is not in violation of the Second Amendment, the Associated Press reports. There are nine western states under the appeals court’s jurisdiction, including Nevada, where the case originated.

A lawsuit was filed in 2011 by Nevada resident S. Rowan Wilson after she tried to purchase a gun for self-defense and was denied based on a federal ban on the sale of guns to users of illegal drugs. Though marijuana has been legalized in some places on a state-by-state basis, it remains illegal under federal law. The court maintained that drug use “raises the risk of irrational or unpredictable behavior with which gun use should not be associated.”

Wilson claimed that she doesn’t actually use marijuana, she simply obtained a card to show her support for its legalization. The appeals court agreed with guidelines from the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives that firearms sellers should assume that medical marijuana card holders use the drug.
    http://amp.timeinc.net/fortune/2016/...-marijuana-gun

Weed dont make you kill people smh

Comment

Bad decision, I fully disagree

Comment

lAND OF THE fREE ? kEEP drinking that KOOL AID and worshiping the Flag like a damn idiot

Comment

I know last last year, it was the law. I didn't check to see if it applies to earlier years 'cuz i don't own a gun. But MA is strict on a lot of stuff like this.

Comment

"The court ruled 3-0 on Wednesday that a ban preventing medical marijuana card holders from purchasing firearms is not in violation of the Second Amendment"

How exactly is that not a violation of the 2nd Amendment?
            Rockin' Rockin' likes this.

Comment

A better law would be: if you get a DUI you can't buy a gun. Drunks are 10x more dangerous than stoners.
              Rockin' Rockin' likes this.

Comment

MFers with ghanja cards already got them shotties.

Comment

I went to the gun range high as a kite one day. Despite me thinking I was super focused, I could not hit **** that day.

These medical marijuana cards feel like a giant scam for doctors and dispensaries.

Comment

your gun laws will be like the UK's soon

sad to see

Comment

Working...
                    X