Henry armstrong couldn't beat willie pep

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're a Davey Day fan, I take it.

Comment

Here are a few other fans of Davey Day. The great Jimmy McLarnin said it all, "that if Davey Day wasn't in the same camp as Ross, he would have been Champion, as Davey was a great fighter." Benny Leonard said, "Day is a smart boy he doesn't waste energy jumping around like other boys, has a superb defense, a sharp puncher, comes right to you with his chin sunk in his chest and can knock you out with a six inch punch.

Ray Arcel said, "Davey Day was a terrific performer-full of *class* and *ability* it was just a pleasure being with him. I knew Mike Jacobs wanted to buy the contract from Sam and Art-Davey was not for sale, and possibily lucrative offers were not given to Davey.

HOWLIN JOE JACOBS WANTS DAVEY IN NEW YORK

Joe Jacobs (manager of Champion Max Schmeling) in 1934, sent an offer (via telegram) of $7,500 to Pian and Winch to buy Davey's contract, saying "you can't do Davey any good, because you have Ross." Jacobs would have matched Davey with Ross, and for sure with Canzoneri. This was the beginning of Davey's long fight for the Title. Sportswriter John P. Carmichael (The Chicago Daily News) wrote; "Day was too good to be just a policeman for Barney, so he had to take a back seat!!! These facts are mentioned only to give the audience an idea as to the misfortune of Mr. Day."
      Pian and Winch were the masterminds who actually held Davey back because they had Ross.

Arch Ward, sports editor of The Chicago Tribune, said, "The only two fighters who can knock you out with a six inch punch was Joe Louis and Davey Day.

I could go on and on, but, I 'll call it a Day with my last tidbit. Day walked into the Italian Boxing Hall of Fame Convention banquet in (1976) Chiicago.Jake Lamotta,
      Joey Giardello, Carmen Basilio and Willie Pep, were playing cards, and the very instant when Pep spotted Davey, he jumped up and exalted "DAVEY DAY" one of the Great fighters from the Golden age of Boxing." I guess like Davey will always be remembered.

Whenever, you find a picture of Baby Arizmendi, who Day fought in 1935 and cut the Babe into ribbons, cutting open a deep gash across the bridge of his nose, that you can't miss seeing, compliments of Mr. Day.
      They gave the controversial SD. to Arizmendi, who got beat up bad and became the winner. Note, Day finished the fight unscathed, not a mark. By the way, just have to mention one more thing. Day had over 250 fights amateur and pro, and never suffered a cut. That is his legacy!

Comment

Good stuff. Not entirely sure what it has to do with this thread, but I enjoyed the read.

Comment

I am glad you enjoyed it. I've known (met) a lot of great fighters, that young kids today, never heard of. They never heard of Joe Louis, Henry Armstrong, Ezzard Charles,
          Willie Pep, Tony Zale, Archie Moore, Davey Moore Featherweight champion, Marcel Cerdan, etc. etc.

Why should they know! Nobody cares.

Take care and thank you.

Comment

Armstrong was a great fighter and very dangerous. Problem with Pep is that we don't see much film at all from the first 4-5 years he fought, when he was invincible. So it is hard to make a determination.

I have Pep winning 2 out of 3 very close fights.

Comment

I guess I'm in the minority. Nobody cares that prime Pep was unable to handle the larger Sammy Angott? That fight (to say nothing of the Saddler fights) would seem to suggest that he had his share of troubles with elite level pressure/rough housing stylists. Particularly larger ones.

I feel like Armstrong was poison for any pure boxer. Too much motor to steer clear of for 15 rounds. Look what he did to Ross, who was every bit as great as Pep and quite a bit larger.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Lora View Post
                I guess I'm in the minority. Nobody cares that prime Pep was unable to handle the larger Sammy Angott? That fight (to say nothing of the Saddler fights) would seem to suggest that he had his share of troubles with elite level pressure/rough housing stylists. Particularly larger ones.

I feel like Armstrong was poison for any pure boxer. Too much motor to steer clear of for 15 rounds. Look what he did to Ross, who was every bit as great as Pep and quite a bit larger.
                - -That U can't see Pep as a unique stylist of one apart from all others speaks to U limitations, not Pep.

Rated far over Ross in the top 10-20 best.

Just da facts, ma'am!

Comment

Hi Happy Lora, I see that you're familiar with fighters of the past, mentioning Angott and Ross. If you want a good read (unless you already have) go to Google and search, check these out:
                  Davey Day vs. Henry Armstrong

Davey Day nailing Lou Ambers

You'll find all (verified) narratives on "The Golden Age of Boxing." Look it over it's free detailed History of fighters in the descriptions of 2 lots.

Davey and manager arriving in NY to fight Pedro Montanez.

Sammy Angott won the Title from Day.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                    - -That U can't see Pep as a unique stylist of one apart from all others speaks to U limitations, not Pep.

Rated far over Ross in the top 10-20 best.

Just da facts, ma'am!
                    I'd rank he and Ross pretty much side by side in an all time ranking sense. There's no question Ross beat the greater quality of opposition, although you could argue Pep looks better on film.

You didn't address any of the points I made in my first paragraph, either. Why could he not handle a bigger, stronger ruffian like Angott? People will excuse the Saddler losses due to being "past prime", but he fought Angott at his very best. Two fighters with rough, unorthodox styles (although Angott was more versatile) that Pep couldn't hack it against. Neither were as good as Armstrong in that regard.

I feel like you're dismissing the fact that Armstrong was just as unique as Pep in a different way.
                    Last edited by Happy Lora; 07-03-2020, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ron davis View Post
                      Hi Happy Lora, I see that you're familiar with fighters of the past, mentioning Angott and Ross. If you want a good read (unless you already have) go to Google and search, check these out:
                      Davey Day vs. Henry Armstrong

Davey Day nailing Lou Ambers

You'll find all (verified) narratives on "The Golden Age of Boxing." Look it over it's free detailed History of fighters in the descriptions of 2 lots.

Davey and manager arriving in NY to fight Pedro Montanez.

Sammy Angott won the Title from Day.
                      Will do. I'm familiar with all kinds of fighters from pretty much every era. I was familiar with Day, just not in much depth. Haven't seen any footage of him, either. I've been reading more about him based on your recommendation. I'll keep digging.

Comment

Working...
                      X