Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canelo Alvarez’s deal with HBO ends with Golovkin rematch (RIP HBO)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No wonder is tweeting positive remarks about showtime boxing, it makes sense now.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
      Anyone know how long Jacobs' HBO deal was for? Is this his last fight with them to?
      Hearn said that this is the last fight on the HBO deal.

Comment

So GGG will win this fight for sure, not that he wasn't anyways, but now he won't be robbed.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          Yea you'd assume they'd throw there money at one guy or the other as a bet on the future. Or did they try & Canelo & GGG both declined & decided to play out their contract?

Definitely seems like a sign that something has changed with HBO or the faith promoters have with HBO, but with how HBO lacked interest in Kov's rematch with Alvarez I'd assume this was HBO's decision to not make a bet on one of these guys at a minimum.

Even as a cat who's been saying the writing has been on the wall with HBO ending their boxing it is gonna be a bit surreal if this is in fact their last big fight & they are just coasting to w/e end they have decided upon from here out.

Jacobs vs Derevyanchencko is the only other fight on HBO's schedule next month. Anyone know how long Jacobs' HBO deal was for? Is this his last fight with them to?
          I've heard Jacobs is 3 fights but I've also heard 6. If it's 3 than that's his last too.

Comment

Damn HBO is only good for Game of thrones now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mammoth View Post
              Top Rank or DAZN absorbing K2/360 and Golden Boy would be so awesome.....
              Arum's ego wouldn't allow for it, but most would basically save Eddie Hearn and his escalator deal.

Alvarez, Andrade (assuming he beats Saunders), Golovkin, Anthony Fowler (2016 Team GB), and others would give Hearn/DAZN control of the WBC/WBA/WBO 160lb titles and basically the middleweight division; Alvarez stands as the "star for Matchroom USA" while Joshua carries Matchroom Sport in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by El Gitano View Post
                So GGG will win this fight for sure, not that he wasn't anyways, but now he won't be robbed.
                If there was legit behind the scenes backroom type sh^t going on with the judges in the first fight I wouldn't think HBO would be the one doing it'd be Oscar. HBO isn't in the Canelo game, definitely not these days apparently, like Oscar is in the Canelo game. GBP only made money a couple years back & probably in the last year or two cuz of Canelo. If Canelo takes a hit, GBP takes a massive hit in revenue.
                Last edited by Eff Pandas; 09-12-2018, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                  Alvarez's deal Is coming due, the Tecate-sponsored time-buy deal with ESPN is also ending, and the Facebook thing isn't going to carry anything soon.

Beyond all this talk about Oscar De La Hoya running for President (dressed in drag, the noted substance abuse issues, etc make that barely a PR move worth mentioning), Oscar using Canelo's expiring deal to get a signed package for Alvarez, Diego De La Hoya, Ryan Garcia, JoJo Diaz Jr, and Jason Quigley et al, over 6-8 dates a year (plus Alvarez's 2 PPVs) is seemingly not being figured.
                  I’m sure this is Loeffler’s angle as well. Get GGG resigned along with dates for the rest of the 360 roster. I’d be shocked if either group ended up leaving entirely.

As recently as two weeks ago, Peter Nelson has spoken about HBO Boxing in 2019. It’s not going to be 20+ cards a year, but it’s certainly not going away.

Comment

Originally posted by Queen_Leia View Post
                    Hearn said that this is the last fight on the HBO deal.
                    Sh^t if this is correct HBO might be out this year.

Is there anything HBO is talking about doing besides SuperFly IV?

Hell who's with HBO if Kov, Canelo & GGG are all free agents or w/e now?

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                      Beyond all this talk about Oscar De La Hoya running for President (dressed in drag, the noted substance abuse issues, etc make that barely a PR move worth mentioning)
                      I was listening to the 3 Knockdown Rule podcast with Mario Lopez the other day & Mario said he called Oscar after that news came out & asked him "wtf u doing foo" & Oscar was just like "promotion".

Oscar weird as f#ck for a cat who was promoted as such a mainstream everyman done good. Every non-Hearn promoter don't seem to know wtf they are doing these days. Just shooting shots from half court & hoping it goes in.

Comment

Working...
                      X