Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brawler - Swarmer: Differences, examples?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brawler - Swarmer: Differences, examples?

I know that both of these are in the calssic, basic styles ofboxing but I never totally understood what are the exact differences between them. It seems like somtimes fighters get these tags random. I know that a swarmer is more likes to fight inside and a brawler more likes better to trade punches in the pocket but it's still not totally clear. Someone can explain it properly, with examples?

And which fighter is considered as a swarmer today? Lamont Peterson? Because he is an inside fighter. But inside fighter is exactly the same as swarmer? Or Shawn Porter maybe?

And what about punchers? They are the brawlers with serious punching power or you think that's a whole different stlye again?

Swarmers throw in greater volume and look the to cut the distance faster. That's how I'd see it at least.

Comment

A brawler is basically somebody who stands in the pocket and just bangs it out. No skill, no brain.

Swarmer = pressure fighter. Swarmers usually have some skill, they can cut off the ring, bob and weave to get on the inside and use the jab.

Examples:

Rios = brawler
      Golovkin = swarmer

Comment

Swarmer= Santa Cruz
        Brawler = Rios

Comment

A brawler at least very strong physically and likely a heavy handed puncher (might not be a one punch knockout puncher but their punches are heavy that add up). Whose defense is mostly based on toughness certainly not afraid to trade 1 to get 1 and might be willing to trade 2 to get 1.

A swarmer throws a ton of punches while in close getting on top of the other guy so they don't have room to breathe. It is using offense as a form of defense because it makes the opponent be less offensive minded and puts them in a place they are not effective. These guys usually pack no power hence why they have to land a lot and make the other guy land less to win they are also on the offensive minded side of things and lack a ton of defensive skills that could make their job easier. Certainly not looking to trade.

Swarmer
          Juan Diaz, Phillip Holiday, Kassim Ouma

Brawler
          Margarito, Maidana, Jake LaMotta
          Last edited by The Gambler1981; 09-15-2014, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Huge difference:

Maidana is a brawler.

Jose Luis Castillo is a swarmer.

Comment

Based on this Porterand Peterson are swarmers while Matthysse, Maidana or Rios are brawlers if I got itright.

Comment

Originally posted by HEND View Post
                Based on this Porterand Peterson are swarmers while Matthysse, Maidana or Rios are brawlers if I got itright.
                Porter and Matthysse are swarmers, Peterson is a boxer with a good inside game, Maidana falls into both categories and Rios is a brawler.

Comment

Working...
                X