Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If GGG Was Black American Boxer....... Would He Be More Popular?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
    On NSB, no. In the sport as a whole, yes.

About 25-30% of his NSB fanbase wouldn't exist, the Freedom's, jubei's, bigdramshow, etc. would be gone. Another 30% of his NSB fanbase wouldn't like him primarily because he was an American. Another 10-15% of his NSB base would not like him as he would be put into the Floyd, Broner, Ward, WIider, Haymon etc group where all of them are judged the same despite having nothing in common.

Now there would be a number of posters hat would suddenly like him, I would say hat adds another 5-10% to his NSB fanbase, given there isn't a large volume of fans like this on NSB.

I would estimate he'd be roughly 60-70% less popular on NSB.

As for the sport as a whole-he'd be given more access on TV because he would speak English. Assuming he is the same Olympian he would have that added exposure. He would be a TR or Haymon guy (prob TR given his Olympic success) which would mean more of his fights would've been on HBO earlier in his career so US fan could "grow" with him.

So I'd say yes.
    The best and most accurate response. Its amazing how black people are often the subject on this site lol.

Comment

Originally posted by NaijaD View Post
      Yeah this perfectly sums it up..... he would have had to survive the usual Jeff Lacy comparisons too.
      Yup. But Imagine GGG with Bob and TR behind him from the beginning?

Comment

if ggg was black and if manny was black they would be praise as the greatest.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
          Yes.

Kigali, The Big Dunn, Isaac Clarke, Larry X, BrometheusBob., Pigeons, PBP, ShoulderRoll, therealpugalist, siablo14, etc would love him and shower him with praise.

Max Kellerwoman would want to fellate him, and Teddy Atlas would have him in his top three P4P.

Tunney with the truth bomb

Comment

Originally posted by Dip_Slide View Post
            Well if he had an interesting personality, story and fought more fights in the US where he didn't come in as a 10 to 1 favorite then yes, if not he'd be another Adonis Stevenson that nobody really cares about. I think GGG has recieved a tremendous amount of support from the media and still he can't sell, they really need better names on that resume and they should stop ating like the A side.
            he cant sell? he's sold out venues all over the united states despite only fighting in this country for about 4 years sold out in the uk and had a successful ppv there.he's headlining his second ppv in the states.

Comment

No
              He would still be a clown

Comment

On NSB, no. In the sport as a whole, yes.

About 25-30% of his NSB fanbase wouldn't exist, the Freedom's, jubei's, bigdramshow, etc. would be gone. Another 30% of his NSB fanbase wouldn't like him primarily because he was an American. Another 10-15% of his NSB base would not like him as he would be put into the Floyd, Broner, Ward, WIider, Haymon etc group where all of them are judged the same despite having nothing in common.

Now there would be a number of posters hat would suddenly like him, I would say hat adds another 5-10% to his NSB fanbase, given there isn't a large volume of fans like this on NSB.

I would estimate he'd be roughly 60-70% less popular on NSB.

As for the sport as a whole-he'd be given more access on TV because he would speak English. Assuming he is the same Olympian he would have that added exposure. He would be a TR or Haymon guy (prob TR given his Olympic success) which would mean more of his fights would've been on HBO earlier in his career so US fan could "grow" with him.

So I'd say yes.
                what makes you think they wouldnt be a fan of ggg if he was black? their not a fan of ggg because of skin color but because of fighting style! name a black fighter like ggg that gets shitted on on here?

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post

Tunney with the truth bomb
                  Come on Mak, you don't believe that. Wilder is undefeated and has a ton of KO's and he doesn't get showered with praise by any of us.

Comment

yes...but he'd be more successful if he was an American, period.

language barrier

Comment

Come on Mak, you don't believe that. Wilder is undefeated and has a ton of KO's and he doesn't get showered with praise by any of us.

you dont think Kigali would be dry-humping his tv everytime a black GGG came out?

i do

Comment

Working...
                      X