Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what was it that made Canelo Alvarez so popular?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what was it that made Canelo Alvarez so popular?

During his rise to popularity there were other Mexican stars such as Abner Mares, Leo Santa Cruz, JCC Jr. etc but what was it that made him stand out above the rest? He didnt have an amateur career, his first televised fight in the U.S. wasnt very impressive (Jose Cotto), he didnt come from a boxing "name" like Chavez, and he's not the most charismatic boxer to ever grace the cover of Ring magazine...

This isnt a diss thread so PLEASE dont treat it as one, Im just trying to understand what makes him Mexicos prize fighter above all.

The girls liked him, and his style is entertaining. In short, looks and fighting style.

Comment

He has the look that appeal the masses and can fight. He is getting promoted like a rock star. The good old ODLH recipe that has worked out for some fighters with a good promotion company backing them

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
        During his rise to popularity there were other Mexican stars such as Abner Mares, Leo Santa Cruz, JCC Jr. etc but what was it that made him stand out above the rest? He didnt have an amateur career, his first televised fight in the U.S. wasnt very impressive (Jose Cotto), he didnt come from a boxing "name" like Chavez, and he's not the most charismatic boxer to ever grace the cover of Ring magazine...

This isnt a diss thread so PLEASE dont treat it as one, Im just trying to understand what makes him Mexicos prize fighter above all.
        I think it was a number of things, many of which might have nothing to do with boxing. Not being prejudice or anything... but a ginger Mexican is going to grab some attention. I recall when he was just grabbing the spotlight hearing people commenting on the "Gingercan," and things like that. Plus, he is a good looking dude, which always works well for marketing with a likeable personality, in addition to the fact that I think his power and boxing skill were somewhat overrated.

In this game, I think promoters and commentators try very hard to latch onto, hype/build the "next one," and with the aging Mexican stars, boxing needed (or needs perhaps) another legend to rise up.

Just my two cents

Comment

Ok I can understand "the look" concept but honestly only on NSB do I ever hear how "good looking" he is and its only from men. Ive asked a couple different women what they thought of him and they said hes not ugly but far from fine.

I really think its the "unique" red hair that helped him out a lot even though Ive known 2 Mexican families in my life with red hair, one coincidentally had the last name Alvarez. But to each their own, Im just trying to see if some one could broaden my views.

Comment

Chavez had quite the reputation as a money maker and was very popular before all his promoter disputes sidelined him.

If they stay active and keep winning it will boil down to orange hair vs dad's name.

LSC has no fans.

Comment

Televisa hype machine, now lets see what tv azteca do with Alvarez

Comment

Blame it on Oscar De La Hoya, he created this hype so he could have a new golden boy. He's alright, but not great. Mexican fight fans will back any fighter who is a game warrior (Alfredo Angulo is popular).

Comment

Originally posted by ironmike2012 View Post
                  Blame it on Oscar De La Hoya, he created this hype so he could have a new golden boy. He's alright, but not great. Mexican fight fans will back any fighter who is a game warrior (Alfredo Angulo is popular).
                  ^^^^^This....

Comment

Skin color, being Mexican, and ginger.

Comment

Working...
                    X