Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where Does Hopkins and Mayweather's Right Hands Rank Historically?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where Does Hopkins and Mayweather's Right Hands Rank Historically?

They don't have that one punch KO power, but both throw this shot so naturally and effortlessly

I'd say mayweather he can throw two and three at a time...and very well to the body.

Hopkins is good but it looks like a lead right hand but with Floyd it just looks like a right hand jab.

Also Hopkins is set up most of the time with foot work

While Floyd's can land from pure speed feint or footwork.

Comment

Both throw cute enough right hands with half decent power. But 'historically' they don't come close to being either of the better right hand punchers.

Comment

Mayweather has one of the best lead rights of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
          Both throw cute enough right hands with half decent power. But 'historically' they don't come close to being either of the better right hand punchers.
          well he didnt say anything about them being punchers, in fact he mentioned they dont have a whole lot of power in those right hands.

but there are more important things than power and even though they have far from the most dangerous right hands of all time they are amongst the best. they can land right hands in so many diffrent ways and it is an effective weapon in every fight they have.

opponents cant take the punch away from them and they won plenty od fights and built strong legacies in the sport with their right hands as their premier offensive weapon. they will go down in history as some of the most unstoppabe and un avoidable punches in history, even if they dont carry a whole lot of power.

Comment

Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post
            well he didnt say anything about them being punchers, in fact he mentioned they dont have a whole lot of power in those right hands.

but there are more important things than power and even though they have far from the most dangerous right hands of all time they are amongst the best. they can land right hands in so many diffrent ways and it is an effective weapon in every fight they have.

opponents cant take the punch away from them and they won plenty od fights and built strong legacies in the sport with their right hands as their premier offensive weapon. they will go down in history as some of the most unstoppabe and un avoidable punches in history, even if they dont carry a whole lot of power.

I didn't criticise their punches, 'cute with half-decent power' is a fair assessment. Nothing wrong with them. They're two of the best right hands in the game today. But 'historically', we are talking about literally hundreds of fantastic right hand punchers.

Do you think that if any of the foremost boxing historians were asked to complile lists of the top 20 right hand punchers in history that Mayweather or Hopkins would be close?

You'd find lists littered with names like Louis, Marciano, Wilde, Hearns, Foreman, Shavers, Baer, Robinson, Saddler, McClellan or Jackson.

Ali had a beautiful lead right hand, see the Foreman fight. But sadly the rights which have less than thunderous impact will probably be held in less prestige 'historically' as time goes on.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
              I didn't criticise their punches, 'cute with half-decent power' is a fair assessment. Nothing wrong with them. They're two of the best right hands in the game today. But 'historically', we are talking about literally hundreds of fantastic right hand punchers.

Do you think that if any of the foremost boxing historians were asked to complile lists of the top 20 right hand punchers in history that Mayweather or Hopkins would be close?

You'd find lists littered with names like Louis, Marciano, Wilde, Hearns, Foreman, Shavers, Baer, Robinson, Saddler, McClellan or Jackson.

Ali had a beautiful lead right hand, see the Foreman fight. But sadly the rights which have less than thunderous impact will probably be held in less prestige 'historically' as time goes on.
              well i dont care how other ppl look at it, i have my own opinion and look at it simply as what is the best overall weapon. power is obviously part of the equation but it isnt everything. i would rank mayweathers right thand as one of the 20 best in history, yes. hopkins' is up there too. not one of the 20 hardest right hands but one of the 20 best right hands for sure.

btw cute with half decent power isnt a fair assessment. both hopkins and mayweather have better than average power in their right hands, floyd in particular. when they sit down on their **** they can hurt someone with it for sure, the reason they dont do it more often is bcuz they are so careful and choose not to sit down on their shots unless they know they are gonna land. but when they do sit down on it they are better than average in terms of power. cute isnt fair either, try genius.

Comment

Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post
                well i dont care how other ppl look at it, i have my own opinion and look at it simply as what is the best overall weapon. power is obviously part of the equation but it isnt everything. i would rank mayweathers right thand as one of the 20 best in history, yes. hopkins' is up there too. not one of the 20 hardest right hands but one of the 20 best right hands for sure.

btw cute with half decent power isnt a fair assessment. both hopkins and mayweather have better than average power in their right hands, floyd in particular. when they sit down on their **** they can hurt someone with it for sure, the reason they dont do it more often is bcuz they are so careful and choose not to sit down on their shots unless they know they are gonna land. but when they do sit down on it they are better than average in terms of power. cute isnt fair either, try genius.
                Well, if you think Mayweather's and Hopkins right hands are really that great, good for you.

As I've already said 'they're two of the best right hands in the game today'. If you think they are really much better than that its your call.

After watching just about all the pound for pound greats on film, I just don't think Mayweather or Hopkin's rights are anything startlingly special in the great scheme of things historically.

Comment

Both are conventional stance fighters who have NO power so throwing a "jab" from the back hand side is for setting up other options. To me its not that big of a punch because in pro boxing its about throwing "meaningfull" punches!! If you can't do that then you throw the other stuff.
                  Tese two guys aren't in the conversation when you consider great right hand punchers, this just gets silly at times! No offense to the OP but whats next how nice their color coordinated? Have any of these two thrown a right hand that looks like Marciano's hitting Walcott? Thats a right hand! KO! Not a right hand "jab"! Ray.

Comment

^^^Hopkins had some good power in his prime.

anyways, yeah I'm a hopkins fan but to me, his lead right is one of the sneakiest I've seen in my life. I don't think too many people can argue against that.

It's kind of apples and oranges as far as comparing floyd's right to hopkins. They both use them in totally different ways imho.

Comment

Working...
                    X