Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ronda Rousey says a UFC return is ‘as likely’ as going back to the Olympics for judo

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ronda Rousey says a UFC return is ‘as likely’ as going back to the Olympics for judo

Ronda Rousey doesn’t seem poised for a UFC comeback any time in the near future.

The former UFC women’s bantamweight champion said Tuesday on “The Ellen Show” that she would put a return to the Octagon on the same plane currently as a return trip to the Olympics. Rousey won the bronze medal in judo at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.

“I don’t know,” Rousey told Ellen DeGeneres. “I think it’s just as likely as me going back to another Olympics for judo. No one demanded a written resignation from me for judo and I don’t really think the same thing is necessary for fighting. I’m just doing what I enjoy and WWE is what I enjoy right now.”

Rousey made her debut in WWE earlier this year and will have her first match with the pro-wrestling promotion at WrestleMania 34 on April 8 in New Orleans. She’ll team with fellow former Olympian, Kurt Angle, a former wrestling gold medalist, to take on Stephanie McMahon and her husband Triple H. WWE has been building the scripted storyline with the four on-air talents since January.

“It’s like a team,” Rousey said of the choreographed world of WWE. “I’ve never been on a team my whole life. I was a swimmer, that was alone. I did judo, that was alone. I was a fighter, that was alone. With WWE, it’s like a big team. Everybody is working together to try to make it as great as possible.”

Rousey, 31, has not fought since being knocked out in the first round by Amanda Nunes at UFC 207 in December 2016. It was her second straight knockout defeat after a run as the most dominant women’s MMA fighter ever.

UFC president Dana White said last November that he’d prefer not to see Rousey fight again.

“I wouldn’t want it to happen,” White said. “I care about her. She’s got enough money. She’s got enough money and all that stuff. I don’t want to see it happen.”

Rousey, for her part, seems to be very happy in pro wrestling. She’s a longtime fan of the entertainment medium. And “Rowdy” said she’s not nearly as nervous going into WrestleMania 34 as she has been in her previous careers as a combat sports athlete.

“I’m nervous, but it’s not like Olympics nervous,” Rousey said. “The worst thing that’ll happen is I’ll look stupid, which is not the worst thing that could really happen. I can’t think of the last time I was so excited for anything. I’m really looking forward to it, you know what I mean?”

Holm and Nunes broke her fighting spirit.

Comment

She'll be back. I guarantee it. I predicted well over a year ago (even before her loss to Nunes) that she would eventually return and defeat Cyborg, and I still hold firm to that prediction.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
        Holm and Nunes broke her fighting spirit.
        Maybe. Hell probably, but she's got options so got the f#ck out lol.

I wish more boxers/MMA guys had options like Rousey had so they could get out of boxing/MMA. Combat sports is not a sport you wanna compete in when you aren't winning anymore if you got options. Once you are getting your a$$ kicked you need to be planning your exit ASAP. Combat sports are too dangerous & too damaging on the body to compete in if you are getting your sh^t pushed in.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post

I wish more boxers/MMA guys had options like Rousey had so they could get out of boxing/MMA. Combat sports is not a sport you wanna compete in when you aren't winning anymore if you got options. Once you are getting your a$$ kicked you need to be planning your exit ASAP. Combat sports are too dangerous & too damaging on the body to compete in if you are getting your sh^t pushed in.
          I agree with you 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
            Not after Stephanie gives her a DDT and pins her at Wrestlemania.

Comment

say what you want about ronda, but if she change camp and get a new coach, i can see her making another run for the belt!

she ran thru a lot of fighters that was better than her before she got exposed by holm and nunes because of her own stupidity in thinking that she's untouchable.

i think if she would have taken those fights serious and not have a big ego, she could have done well. but she thought she couldnt be touch and when she did got touch, she had no answer for it since she wasnt ready for it.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                Not after Stephanie gives her a DDT and pins her at Wrestlemania.
                Nah, she'll go for a pedigree. And if her friend Shayna Baszler is on the main roster, they'll probably be tag team partners, maybe even start some kind of faction.

Comment

Rhonda should get herself a black boyfriend

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                    Nah, she'll go for a pedigree. And if her friend Shayna Baszler is on the main roster, they'll probably be tag team partners, maybe even start some kind of faction.
                    if they were smart, they would pain their faces and become like demolition.

Comment

Working...
                    X