Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pull Counter vs Slip Counter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As an addendum a slip counter is more versatile than a pull counter. You can slip inside, slip outside, slip counter with a jab or to the body. Pull counter is primarily used for a straight.

Comment

Originally posted by SalimShady1212 View Post
      At my gym personally, my coach isn't fond of the pull counter and we get told off for doing it. It takes incredible reflexes and judgement of speed as you potentially leave your chin in the air and are immobile against follow up punches. However, one of my favourite moves is slipping to the left and throwing a straight left (as a southpaw). I think slipping should be sufficient in most scenarios.
      Sounds like that coach DKSAB, frankly.

While he's right about what he's saying in concept, if you're fast enough and have the core strength, as we've seen time and again, the pull counter is the easiest way to quickly stun your opponent and get out of danger.

Slip counter's issue is that if you're not a southpaw, you're easy to time if you're not trained at least at an intermediate level. The best I ever saw do it was a prime Tyson - and he would drop you with one shot if he connected, nearly every time.

Comment

I always taught the slip as a coach. It always a quicker, less telegraphed counter. It also allows for better balance and control.

Comment

Originally posted by BuakawBanchamek View Post
          What's the advantage of the Pull Counter vs the Slip Counter and vice versa.

While Pull Countering you simply pull your body back and then counter, during the Slip Counter you bend your body to a side and then counter.

The base mechanics seem to be close to the same( avoiding the shot while being loaded for a counter), so why would you wanna do the rather risky Pull than the safer Slip?
          Pull counter has a better chance of landing flush

Considering their jab hand is out of position n they are moving forward towards the counter

A slip counter can be counter easier...ala ward/kov....no one noticed he never tried that counter again.

It is a lil more dangerous.

If you miss a pull counter and slip under to the right, or left and to your left, their is a better chance to avoid getting countered

Comment

The slip is better for power cuz your base is strong. Pull is better for accuracy cuz you have a clear line of sight. If I need a ko, slip. If I want to win on points pull.

Comment

Originally posted by revelated View Post
              Sounds like that coach DKSAB, frankly.

While he's right about what he's saying in concept, if you're fast enough and have the core strength, as we've seen time and again, the pull counter is the easiest way to quickly stun your opponent and get out of danger.

Slip counter's issue is that if you're not a southpaw, you're easy to time if you're not trained at least at an intermediate level. The best I ever saw do it was a prime Tyson - and he would drop you with one shot if he connected, nearly every time.
              For most amateurs or people learning to box they don't have the skills (yet) to do the pull counter but they still try it as they have seen their favourite boxers do it and this leads to bad form or them getting smacked in the face. Unless you're experieced I don't see why it would ever be recommended. Most people are likely not the next Mayweather and there's nothing wrong with that. The slip counter Loma does where he slips slightly to the left and recoils a straight left is my favourite move to do personally. (Funnily enough my coach is the bald dude in my avi.)
              Last edited by SalimShady1212; 05-04-2017, 10:24 PM.

Comment

floyd throws the best one imo....you could neutralize it by doubling(or more) the jab or a quick 1-2...trick is you just can't keep throwing the same **** over and over...

funny thing is , pac landed clean on floyd his own version of it..

Comment

Originally posted by SalimShady1212 View Post
                  For most amateurs or people learning to box they don't have the skills (yet) to do the pull counter but they still try it as they have seen their favourite boxers do it and this leads to bad form or them getting smacked in the face. Unless you're experieced I don't see why it would ever be recommended. Most people are likely not the next Mayweather and there's nothing wrong with that. The slip counter Loma does where he slips slightly to the left and recoils a straight left is my favourite move to do personally. (Funnily enough my coach is the bald dude in my avi.)
                  No doubt that a common amateur can't do it fresh out of the gate. But some guys are just "twitchy" that they can get away with it. Their reflexes are razor sharp and their vision is so keen they can time it perfectly at least half the time.

In those cases there's nothing wrong with doing it every blue moon at random points when your opponent doesn't realize it's coming. It's those amateurs who think they can pull it off perfectly every time that get into trouble.

Comment

Working...
                  X