Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

breaking down this heavyweight era and others: Why today stinks!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
    Nice research.

With this era its been bad but have you noticed its actually got even worse? Much worse!
    Somehow we went from Ibragimov, Chagaev, Haye, Chambers maybe even throw in a Dimitrienko and the likes.

Now we are left with Alex Leapai (Wlads mandatory *sigh*) Pulev, Arreola and then just an absolute load of useless rubbish.

Ibragimov, Chagaev, Haye, Chambers, Thompson, Peter I believe back-to-back and fans complained since we have had Pianeta, Mormeck, Wach, Thompson 2 & that sadly unforgettable stinker with Povetkin

I've always liked Wlad but the division is a joke.
    I agree its getting worse. When Wlad is gone it will have hit rock bottom between the erosion of skills and guys unwilling to fight each other.

Comment

Its so bad that we are settling for anything. We had Price making noise, Boystov, it was plain to see that both was absolutely rubbish. The same with Wilder, hes 'the next big thing' to get bowled over when he marginally steps up.

When you've got fighters receiving credit and being perceived as threats with wins over 40 odd yr old Audrey Harrisons it speaks volumes for just how little depth there is in the division.

Tyson Fury had no talent, he took it more seriously & put some graft in and he went from a big joke to a good fighter by this eras standards at least. It just shows me that anybody with some size and the work ethic can do alright in the division.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

I really don't care where a fighter is from as long as they're fun to watch. I'm just making a point. A point you obviously cannot refute.Today's era is WEAK!!
        Can you explain simply what you did in the OP, you took ring ranked opponents and averaged them, is that correct?

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
          I agree its getting worse. When Wlad is gone it will have hit rock bottom between the erosion of skills and guys unwilling to fight each other.

Its definitely getting worse as opposed to better.

I think once that happens we might have a guy like Pulev in the same position Wladimir is in only with even worse competition.

I can see it now; 2020 the highly anticipated rematch between undisputed world HW champion Kubrat Pulev & a 50yr old Tony Thompson.

Comment

Originally posted by Weltschmerz View Post
            The idea that today's heavyweight era is 'weak' is bollocks. Champions don't become champions out of nothing, the title is not handed to them for free. Today's HW division is strong.
            Based on what?

I know OP is not comfortable with the fact that the two headed dragon that is the HW champion is from an Eastern European country most Americans couldn't locate on the world map. It buggers him.
            I'm as European as you are, I dislike them to. What's your point?

Many people also said the HW era was 'weak' when Larry Holmes, Joe Louis, Tyson, or even when Lewis dominated. Louis had his 'bum of the month club', remember? Lennox only became truly acknowledged as an ATG after he knocked out a much faded Tyson.
            They did fight in weaker eras - not as weak as this one though. Yet, they still managed to put up exciting displays and has given us plenty of rewatchable fights. Louis vs Conn, Schmeling, Baer, Braddock etc. Holmes vs Cooney, Shavers, Norton etc. Pretty much all of Tyson's fights.

Wlad vs....... ? Thompson? Vitali vs........? Lewis? A loss? Hide maybe?

Lewis was recognized as a great and the undisputed champion after his win over Holyfield, not Tyson. That was just a cherry on the cake.

Point being, every champ Down history fought their share of 'bums'. The Klitschko's being no different. Doesn't mean this era is particularly weak compared to other eras.
            Well, if you have 60+ fights and only 10 or so of those are top 10 material - then you are obviously not just fighting your "share of bums" - then the vast majority of your opponents are bums. And the guys in the top 10 aren't fighting each other. They are more concerned about keeping a fake '0' on their record by avoiding the other contenders hoping they can land a shot at a Klitschko - and when they do, they show up looking like this:

The Klitschko's are dominating in their own fashion, just as past greats like Ali, Holmes, Louis, Jack Johnson, Tyson, etc. dominated in their own fashion. Each champion has his own way of dominating his era.

Boxing is never in a weak era. The best are always the best.
            That didn't even make sense. Is Vitali "dominating" this era by avoiding the best fighters in his division? When is the last time he fought anyone of note? Arreola maybe, then who? Lightheavyweight Adamek? Did he outweigh him by 7" and 50 pounds?

Comment

Flawed post. Add up the Klitschkos "top 10" faced opponents and you'll get 16. So if it were just one person with 16 "top 10" wins that means the division is good? No, it's still bad. More bad defenses doesn't make it any better.

Comment

Lennox Lewis

Ruddock 7
                Tucker 5
                McCall 6 loss
                Butler 10
                Mercer 6
                Briggs 7
                Holyfield 2
                Holyfield 2
                Grant 8
                Tua 5
                Rahman 4
                Rahman champion
                Tyson 9
                V. Klit 1

14 top 10 fighters fought, average rank 5.2

Comment

Originally posted by Foreign Soil View Post
                  Flawed post. Add up the Klitschkos "top 10" faced opponents and you'll get 16. So if it were just one person with 16 "top 10" wins that means the division is good? No, it's still bad. More bad defenses doesn't make it any better.
                  Only problem is the Klits are two separate fighters.

Comment

Obviously.. but they're one entity since they can't fight each other. It diminishes what one would do if the other weren't around, and either of them would have more "top 10" wins. It wouldn't make the division any better.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
                      Its definitely getting worse as opposed to better.

I think once that happens we might have a guy like Pulev in the same position Wladimir is in only with even worse competition.

I can see it now; 2020 the highly anticipated rematch between undisputed world HW champion Kubrat Pulev & a 50yr old Tony Thompson.
                      Lol!!

I had hope it was going to come together with some of the younger guns who were ranked striving to step out front, but guys like Fury, Wilder, Helenius, Solis etc have really done **** all. Chisora and Pulev seems to be the only guy willing to fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X