No announcement yet.

Joe Louis: A Retrospective

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StarshipTrooper View Post
    Has anyone not heard of the great Joe Louis? For years he loomed over boxing, and more, he trancended boxing and became a unifying symbol for Americans black and white. A title reign of twelve years, twenty-five title defenses: Records unlikely to be broken. He was called the "perfect fighting machine". His punches were straight and deadly accurate. His punching power was frightening. He was the first true intimidator and he did it all with a blank look on his face. Nobody was a better finisher: When his opponent was hurt the fight was as good as over. Nothing ever fazed him in the ring and he was the all-time king of rematches.

More than any other fighter I've known of, Louis exuded class out of every pore. He put himself in permanent debt to the IRS: By donating purses to the Navy relief fund. His grave is appropriately in Arlington National Cemetary. Enshrined for what he truly was: An American Hero.

Poet
    Green K, but couldn't we just do another Tyson Thread

Seriously... Incredible fighter. I could swear I found some early footage of Louis and remembered thinking "man he even as fast feet,despite rumors to the contrary. Just could not find the footage again.

Liston IMO was the only better finisher, and Louis did it with chess, not checkers.

Technically a punching machine, with a big heart, but the ability to ice cold your a s s in the ring. Still the model for God's vision for a heavyweight: Enough mass to make it trivial to add more for punching power, fast, explosively so, always always watching for a lapse from the opponent, ready to close the show, great variety of punches, with no wasted efforts.

Comment

Starship Trooper is Captain Obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Z View Post
        Lots of lineal champions, in their prime beat 99% of histories heavyweights.

Louis for his time was the best. However footwork, defense, and fight time adjustments were not his thing. Had balance issues. Chin was not the best.

He fought in a time with no skilled big guys ( super heavies ) who could both box and hit and lost or came close to losing to men his size, and smaller with speed and skills, but generally not power. Louis has 25-26 viewable films which I have seen and that is the story.
        - -Hmmm, Ali never fought a Lewis, the Ks, Fury, or even a Tony Tucker.

Susceptible to a left hooks by tiny fellas and let himself get mauled needlessly by so-so fighters, and what champion in the Pantheon loses to Neon Leon, bless him who is still hanging with us in spite of abject health woes?

Thanks for the refresher.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
          God's vision for a heavyweight
          If God likes boxing (I'm a little hesitant about that, though), I can imagine His vision was broadening when He witnessed the Ali of 64-67 in action.

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
          - -Hmmm, Ali never fought a Lewis, the Ks, Fury, or even a Tony Tucker.
          Nice finding Tucker among those names. Skilled fighter he was, his name shouldn't fall into oblivion.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post
            If God likes boxing (I'm a little hesitant about that, though), I can imagine His vision was broadening when He witnessed the Ali of 64-67 in action.

Nice finding Tucker among those names. Skilled fighter he was, his name shouldn't fall into oblivion.
            I was being tongue in cheek, but the point wasn't to highlight the distinct talents of a fighter like Ali, who was one of a kind. It was to consider a fighting machine, made with just enough size, the right temperment, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
              I was being tongue in cheek
              Yes, I know.

Today I read the latest The Ring mag, which featured a story about Jimmy Young’s career.
              The guy who had no punch, but knew every trick in the book and was able to compete with the best.

About his biggest win, against Foreman, The Ring quoted Young from an old interview.
              Young, being hit hard in the 7th stanza: “At the time, I thought it was all over. I can remember telling myself, ‘Well, it’s all over.’ But then I regained my composure and said, ‘No, it’s not all over; this big lug can’t finish me off.´Instead of running, I decided to go after him.”

Round 7 - 21:55

In the dressing room after the fight, Foreman had his spiritual awakening. I often wondered, why just then, was it because of overwhelming fatigue and dehydration?

The article also focus on the punch stats of Young v. Ali (the punch disparity highlighted the booing at the judges decisions – boxrec), and that Larry Holmes (has never been bashful when it comes to expressing his greatness – The Ring) says that if he had fought Young, it would had ended in a draw.

Comment

Yes, I know.

Today I read the latest The Ring mag, which featured a story about Jimmy Young’s career.
                The guy who had no punch, but knew every trick in the book and was able to compete with the best.

About his biggest win, against Foreman, The Ring quoted Young from an old interview.
                Young, being hit hard in the 7th stanza: “At the time, I thought it was all over. I can remember telling myself, ‘Well, it’s all over.’ But then I regained my composure and said, ‘No, it’s not all over; this big lug can’t finish me off.´Instead of running, I decided to go after him.”

In the dressing room after the fight, Foreman had his spiritual awakening. I often wondered, why just then, was it because of overwhelming fatigue and dehydration?

The article also focus on the punch stats of Young v. Ali (the punch disparity highlighted the booing at the judges decisions – boxrec), and that Larry Holmes (has never been bashful when it comes to expressing his greatness – The Ring) says that if he had fought Young, it would had ended in a draw.
                Young was a real character. If he had gotten a proper hand raising we might be discussing him in a different light. Excellent fighter defensively.

Comment

- -Don't regard turning a fight into a track meet good defense.

Comment

Yes, I know.

Young had a very good round nine vs. Ali. I fact I think he beat Ali. Below is a good article on their fight.

https://www.******.com/598621-book-e...gift-decision/

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Z View Post
                      Lots of lineal champions, in their prime beat 99% of histories heavyweights.

Louis for his time was the best. However footwork, defense, and fight time adjustments were not his thing. Had balance issues. Chin was not the best.

He fought in a time with no skilled big guys ( super heavies ) who could both box and hit and lost or came close to losing to men his size, and smaller with speed and skills, but generally not power. Louis has 25-26 viewable films which I have seen and that is the story.
                      Theres never been a time with big skilled big guys. who?

Foreman and ali were 6 ft 3 - 6 ft 4 at best.

Wlad, Fury, Joshua and Wilder are not big skilled big guys. They arent very good and all have glass chins.

Lennox lewis is the best "big" guy in terms of height, but he struggled and even lost to guys who were 6 ft 1.

So i don't know how you came up with this idea that Louis wouldn't slaughter them all. Buddy Baer at least was tough, I couldnt see Joshua taking anything from Louis. And buddy Baer was even bigger than Joshua.

You are mistaking HD footage with old film reels, Louis is technically superior than all of these "big guys".

Comment

Working...
                      X