No announcement yet.

Riddick Bowe vs Lennox Lewis - How would history have changed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riddick Bowe vs Lennox Lewis - How would history have changed

What would have happened had Bowe not thrown the belt in the bin, and he went on to face Lewis as he should of. Who would have won. If Lewis had won would it have been him that had the fighs against Holyfield, and would he have gone on to face Tyson a lot earlier. I think he would have had too much for Bowe and stopped him between 6 and 8 rounds. Lewis could have then gone onto defend against Holyfield which would have been better than their 2 fights they did have. Lewis wasn't as cautious before he had them 2 defeats and this could have been as excellent fight, I could have seen this going either way Holyfield was smaller and so was Lewis and Lewis was as not as good technically as he became under Steward. I think maybe it might have been a Lewis - Holyfield trilogy instead of Bowe and Holyfield one. I also think that had Lewis been champion when Tyson made his comeback he would have wanted to face him and they too would have met earlier, what would the outcome of this fight be? In a way by Bowe throwing the belt into the bin, he could have denied us the fights that did happen but should have happened alot earlier than they did.

Hurricane72,
    Nice post and good questions you raise.
    Personally, I always thought that Bowe had a good chance against Lewis. If the Bowe who beat Holyfield showed up, he would be the favorite. I always thought that Bowe looked his best against Jorge Luis Gonzalez. If that Bowe fought Lewis, I would have bet on Bowe. Lewis had more natural talents, but I think Bowe's heart was bigger. They are very evenly matched, however.

I used to be one of the ones who thought that an "in his prime" Tyson would have cleaned up on anyone this side of Larry Holmes, but I've re-evaluated my thinking after Lewis's career and now think that in their respective primes, Lewis would still have beaten Tyson. The oldest adage in boxing "styles make fights" is the key here for me.

It's fun to look back and have these imaginary match ups. I enjoys hearing all of you guys opinions as well. It seems like we can learn a lot from other people's insights.

Comment

Thanks, it was a real shame they never got to fight, especially back in 1992. I think Bowe never wanted a part of Lewis, because of what happened in the Olympic final. Bowe was a very good fighter though, and one of the best infighters I have ever seen, especially for a big man. I still think Lewis was too good for him though, and I don't agree that Bowe had more heart. Lewis had plenty and proved it in many fights such as Mercer and Briggs. I agree with you on the Tyson fight, I think that Lewis could have beat any Tyson, but that isn't to say that Tyson couldn't of beat him. But to do so it would have have to had been in the first 6 rounds if it went longer than Lewis is the more likely winner.

Comment

Bowe would belong to the Greats had he beaten Lewis in 93', and I still believe Holyfield can beat both at that time, If Holyfield got a win over Bowe in the rematch, its possible the real deal will have a "W" over Lewis too. history will not be kind to George Foreman who wouldnt attempt to comeback at age 45 if either Bowe or Lewis are holding belts.

Comment

Originally posted by Emon723 View Post
          Bowe would belong to the Greats had he beaten Lewis in 93', and I still believe Holyfield can beat both at that time, If Holyfield got a win over Bowe in the rematch, its possible the real deal will have a "W" over Lewis too. history will not be kind to George Foreman who wouldnt attempt to comeback at age 45 if either Bowe or Lewis are holding belts.
          Foreman would never have beaten Lewis after he made his comeback, in his prime Yeah he stood a great chance, but not later in his career. Bowe would have needed more than a win against Lewis to have been considered great.

Comment

Originally posted by hurricane72 View Post
            What would have happened had Bowe not thrown the belt in the bin, and he went on to face Lewis as he should of. Who would have won. If Lewis had won would it have been him that had the fighs against Holyfield, and would he have gone on to face Tyson a lot earlier. I think he would have had too much for Bowe and stopped him between 6 and 8 rounds. Lewis could have then gone onto defend against Holyfield which would have been better than their 2 fights they did have. Lewis wasn't as cautious before he had them 2 defeats and this could have been as excellent fight, I could have seen this going either way Holyfield was smaller and so was Lewis and Lewis was as not as good technically as he became under Steward. I think maybe it might have been a Lewis - Holyfield trilogy instead of Bowe and Holyfield one. I also think that had Lewis been champion when Tyson made his comeback he would have wanted to face him and they too would have met earlier, what would the outcome of this fight be? In a way by Bowe throwing the belt into the bin, he could have denied us the fights that did happen but should have happened alot earlier than they did.
            As for Lewis and Tyson, post prison Tyson may not have had what it took to beat Lewis, so I would pick Lewis to win.

Comment

It wouldve been a good fight but i think Lewis mayve been to much for Bowe!!! Im not sure how lewis wouldve done against Tyson!!! I still think Tyson wouldve made him **** in his pants like bruno did!!!

Comment

Lewis always looked his best against smaller guys he would of beat prime versions of those 3 fighters

Comment

Bowe was the better pro prior to 1996. I am confident that an over-weight Bowe would kayo an under-weight Lewis. Their primes really occurred at different times, but, if you were to go between 1992-1996, I'd take Bowe everytime. I might be wrong, but I kinda' doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by -CANE- View Post
                    - -Hurricane and I crossed quite a few swords back in the day, but we always had an abiding respect for each other.

I said it then and now, it was Big Dummy minder Rock Newman who didn't want him fighting Lewis. He had secured or was working on a $100 mil deal with HBO, so no way Jose he risks a Lewie fight.

Bowe of course shamed hisself for most of his career much like the IBHOF who elected Big Dummy to their farce.

Comment

Working...
                    X