No announcement yet.

Leonard-Duran I (1980)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by butterfly1964 View Post
    You've been exposed as a liar! I've never said Ali beat Frazier in the first fight.
    I dont wanna be the devils advocate here, but Ali vs Frazier 1 is actually a draw. It doesnt look like it at first glance, but Ali rolls the majority of Fraziers punches until het got tired later and Frazier put a delay on his hook, Ali rolled to soon and caught the hook at the end, sending him down. If you look at their faces Frazier was eating punches all night - its just Ali's style didnt make him look good vs Frazier.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
      I dont wanna be the devils advocate here, but Ali vs Frazier 1 is actually a draw. It doesnt look like it at first glance, but Ali rolls the majority of Fraziers punches until het got tired later and Frazier put a delay on his hook, Ali rolled to soon and caught the hook at the end, sending him down. If you look at their faces Frazier was eating punches all night - its just Ali's style didnt make him look good vs Frazier.
      - -Ali beat up bad out on his feet in sections and visibly flagging from the nonstop pace Frazier set.

Sorta like U never look good talking about boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post

Maybe counting punches, or even trying to evaluate 'effective aggression' ** you can argue a draw . . . but IMO the 11th round assault and the 15th round KD made it Frazier's night; the decision was a fair one.

** never really could wrap my head around that phrase

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post
          Maybe counting punches, or even trying to evaluate 'effective aggression' ** you can argue a draw . . . but IMO the 11th round assault and the 15th round KD made it Frazier's night; the decision was a fair one.

** never really could wrap my head around that phrase
          - -Clean punches used today that would eliminate half is TBE TUE "touch" arsenal from his punch stats.

Comment

It was close, but Duran set the tone early. When he hit Ray with that tremendous shot in the 2nd round, probably won the fight there. That and Ray being scared s***less.

Comment

Duran won the decision in the first fight. He average 60 punches thrown a round 21 of which landed to Leonard's 50 punches a round with 18 landed. The fight was close enough. Last time I watched it I had Duran by 2 points.

Duran took an early lead and Leonard adjusted too late. Leonard wanted to go toe to toe with the best Duran ever, instead of using his footwork and speed.

With Dundee in his corner, I expected more. Dundee did the famous " You're blowing it son" , vs. Hearns until Leonard realized he could not out box Tommy who had an unreal reach at his weight. He had to fight him.

In the rematch Leonard made the adjustments and badly out classed Duran to the point of quitting. IMO, Duran would have been knocked out that night had he not quit. Leonard was coming on, feeling very comfortable, and was showboating to the crowd.

Comment

Great fight. I still had Duran winning by a round or two though.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Z View Post

In the rematch Leonard made the adjustments and badly out classed Duran to the point of quitting. IMO, Duran would have been knocked out that night had he not quit. Leonard was coming on, feeling very comfortable, and was showboating to the crowd.
                  -Ray was minutes away from getting shat on as documented by NJ commish Randy Gordon who was witness to the whole Duran prefight gorging and elimination post fight.

It behooves participants of this forum to stick to the facts lest unmentionables get stuck on you.
                  Last edited by QueensburyRules; 01-21-2021, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                    - -Clean punches used today that would eliminate half is TBE TUE "touch" arsenal from his punch stats.
                    As usual you don't know what you're talking about, Queenfairy.

Floyd was the king of clean punching. Precisely placed potshots that weren't blockable and would visibly rock the heads back of his opponents.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                      As usual you don't know what you're talking about, Queenfairy.

Floyd was the king of clean punching. Precisely placed potshots that weren't blockable and would visibly rock the heads back of his opponents.
                      - -Indeed, artificially enhanced with U abundant ministrations .

Comment

Working...
                      X