No announcement yet.

Ron Lyle vs Joe Frasier

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frazier would have won

I saw a few of Ron Lyle's fights, against Ali, Jimmy Young (2nd fight) and against George Foreman, and I don't think that he had the right style to deal with Frazier's pressure or left hook. Lyle had stamina problems in the fights of his that I saw. He really didn't fight with a lot of intensity. Instead he often had lapses of energy in the middle of a round, would lay on the ropes or just hang around in the middle of the ring without throwing anything. He was a big puncher, but lacked the aggressiveness of some of the other punchers that I saw from that era, such as Foreman, Shavers, Norton or Quarry.

Lyle tried to outbox Ali, and was doing rather well until Ali caught him with a good shot. However, Ali seemed to be clowning around in that fight, experimenting with different styles. Lyle got outworked by Young, laying on the ropes too much. Lyle's stamina problems cost him the fight with Foreman. Even in the 5th round Lyle hurt Foreman several times, but seemed to suddenly tire right near the end of the fight, backing up to the ropes and allowing Foreman to unload a combination which ended the fight.

Anyway, it's doubtful that a prime Frazier would have had much trouble with Lyle. If Jimmy Young could push him back to the ropes, so could Joe Frazier. Frazier worked hard all the time in the ring, and would have outworked Lyle quite easily, perhaps even stopping him if Lyle had 1 of his characteristic lapses of energy.

Comment

I'd favor Frazier over Lyle. Frazier might get knocked down in rounds 1 and/or 2 but I think he would quickly get up and push Lyle to the ropes and start pounding his body. KO'ing Lyle in rounds 7 or 8.

Comment

Frazier would probably win around the 10th or 11th round, but Lyle would definitely have his moments.

Comment

Lyle possibly would floor Frazier a few times, but I think Frazier would rally to TKO him in about round 8.

Comment

If Ron Lyle had the power to drop a prime Foreman 2 times in one round then he had the power to knock out Frazier.Frazier never showed that he could handle anybody who could punch.Bonavena dropped Frazier 2 times and should of won their first fight.
            Lyle showed he could not only knock down Foreman but get up after Foreman knocked him down and knock Foreman back down.Frazier is tough but couldn't do jack **** against Foreman.Lyle was alot tougher.Had a better chin and could punch alot harder.The reason Lyle is not that well known is because he turned pro at 27 so when he started getting good in his early 30's so if Ali was done by 30 then so was Lyle.
            Lyle also had poor stamina.That is why he didnt go all out alot of times.If Lyle would of trained harder and turned pro at around 20 or so more people would talk about him than Frazier.
            Lyle in about 5 rounds.

Comment

If Ron Lyle had the power to drop a prime Foreman 2 times in one round then he had the power to knock out Frazier.Frazier never showed that he could handle anybody who could punch.Bonavena dropped Frazier 2 times and should of won their first fight.
              Lyle showed he could not only knock down Foreman but get up after Foreman knocked him down and knock Foreman back down.Frazier is tough but couldn't do jack **** against Foreman.Lyle was alot tougher.Had a better chin and could punch alot harder.The reason Lyle is not that well known is because he turned pro at 27 so when he started getting good in his early 30's so if Ali was done by 30 then so was Lyle.
              Lyle also had poor stamina.That is why he didnt go all out alot of times.If Lyle would of trained harder and turned pro at around 20 or so more people would talk about him than Frazier.
              Lyle in about 5 rounds.
              First off, dickhead, Frazier was never knocked out in his career, even after he took Foreman's best shots. He bounced right back up off the canvas every time. Perhaps Foreman had the better chin, but Frazier would never have been counted out, and he never was. Bonavena did not deserve to win their first fight. Frazier dominated the fight after the first two knockdowns, I think I had it 7-3 in scoring.

If, if if. If young Foreman had the mentality of old Foreman, he would have been champion for 20 years. If Ali hadn't had his layoff, he would have never lost. If Frazier wasn't blind in one eye, he would have beaten Ali in Manila. If Quarry didn't cut so easily, he would have been champion. If Shavers had a better chin, he would have dominated.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Canada
                It never happened but it would`ve been interesting. Frasier, who I`m a huge fan of, is generally considered to be an elite fighter, and rightfully so I think. Lyle is almost forgotten. I think Lyle would`ve beat him, similar to how Big George did. Another example of how styles make fights.
                Styles do make fights; but I don't think this particular style-match-up would have favored Lyle. I see Joe breakin' him down and stopping him around the 8th or 9th.

Comment

Originally posted by Frazier's 15th round
                  First off, dickhead, Frazier was never knocked out in his career, even after he took Foreman's best shots. He bounced right back up off the canvas every time. Perhaps Foreman had the better chin, but Frazier would never have been counted out, and he never was. Bonavena did not deserve to win their first fight. Frazier dominated the fight after the first two knockdowns, I think I had it 7-3 in scoring.

If, if if. If young Foreman had the mentality of old Foreman, he would have been champion for 20 years. If Ali hadn't had his layoff, he would have never lost. If Frazier wasn't blind in one eye, he would have beaten Ali in Manila. If Quarry didn't cut so easily, he would have been champion. If Shavers had a better chin, he would have dominated.
                  if chris byrd was 4 inches taller he'd be an atg
                  if tommy hearns had a chin
                  if sugar ray leonard fought hagler sooner
                  if duran didnt quit agianst leonard

i agree if is lifes middle name

Comment

Lol Frazier you are a freaking Frazier fan..I could give a damn what you think..You are a simple minded little child..HAHA.Frazier was knocked out.I don't care if he got back up the point is he was stopped.And wow you had Frazier beating Bonavena?As i said you a idiot who is a fan of Frazier of course you are going to think he won..I bet you think Frazier was beating Foreman until Foreman knocked him out.
                    And If Frazier wouldn't of thought he was a bad ass he would of ducked Foreman.If Frazier was a bad ass he would of fought more top level fighters in his career.Most people who know boxing do respect Lyle.And if you are to stupid to grasp that if you turn pro at 18 you have a longer time to prove yourself than if you turn pro at 27 or 28 like Lyle did.And in any case Lyle did alot better against Foreman than Frazier did.He also didn't take the punishment against Ali like Frazier did..
                    Lyle hurt Foreman with his power and what did Frazier do?Get beat down like a child twice and guess what that means?That Lyle has more power than Frazier..Lyle also got up from being knocked down and took the fight to Foreman something Frazier could never do.
                    Frazier a really good fighter moron but the man had tons of flaws.No jab,Easy to hit,He never showed that he could hurt a man with a great chin(And i really mean a great chin..Ali was knocked down and hurt by guys smaller and weaker than Frazier so Frazier knocking him down proved nothing)Frazier could do nothing to Lyle that Shavers or Foreman didn't do already.So as i said Lyle in about 5 maybe if Frazier was lucky he could go the distance but even then he would still lose.

Comment

He never showed that he could hurt a man with a great chin
                      Quarry? Chuvalo?

Comment

Working...
                      X