Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many 'awkward and unconventional' fighters became all time greats?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many 'awkward and unconventional' fighters became all time greats?

To me it always seems like codeword for being someone who cant box. Crisp technique at a high level always beats these type of boxers. Can we quit trying to make out wilders sloppiness/wildness is some kind of strength for him. The limitations of these types of fighters always get exposed which is why all the greats of the sport had sound technique
    Last edited by Prince Madison; 11-15-2018, 12:20 PM.

The only counter argument I can give you would be when those attributes you described are married to exceptional athleticism.

Roy Jones jr is an example.

Comment

A bit unfair.

ATG srts the bar incredibly. Like they are greats because they can take any customer.

Good fighters are beneath ATGs which is what many awkward fighters are.

Comment

Only the undefeated ones

Glaukos, Theaganese, Melankomas etc. Marciano for the modern era.

Not exclusively though. Some guys who got beat were very unconventional in their day. Like Daniel The Jew Mendoza. Mendoza is given credit for having brought defensive posture and position to the game, footwork, some changes in guarding, counter punching, and probably some other things I've forgotten to mention. He also brought ticketing to a live sporting event and riling the audience in the press. About 1790, in London, that was some real awkward stuff. Mendoza got the sort of flack you're used to hearing aimed at punchers these days. I mean he got a lot more than that, but, it is funny to think there was a time when boxing fans saw a man box and complained " Hit and don't be hit back, what the hell is this ****? This isn't boxing" today when we say boxing we all mean what Mendoza was doing, but back when fans were called the fancy not many fancied Mendoza until after his retirement and they became retrospective. He was actually cheated out of his title.

I got more stories if you like. People didn't really take to Ali for some time, but I doubt that's new to anyone.

Comment

What about Roy Jones ?

Comment

Originally posted by DramaShow View Post
            To me it always seems like codeword for being someone who cant box. Crisp technique at a high level always beats these type of boxers. Can we quit trying to make out wilders sloppiness/wildness is some kind of strength for him. The limitations of these types of fighters always get exposed which is why all the greats of the sport had sound technique
            Henry Armstrong...

Comment

Working...
            X