"It's ok to eat fish because they don't have any feelings"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UglyPug View Post
    I've had a lot of exotic meats.

Ones I have the most experience with, and actually cooking myself (although not considered exotic in a lot of places): Deer, and squirrel.

I can make a MEAN deer burger, and a deer teriyaki jerky. The jerky is my favorite snack food all time. The gamey taste of the deer, contrasted with the sweet, and tanginess of the teriyaki is just heavenly. . . Don't want to overdo it with the teriyaki, though - you want to be able to enjoy that gamey taste the deer provides.

A plain ole deer patty is really not that far off from a hamburger as far as the texture of the meat; the taste is more unique, though. Deer is a very lean meat, so you'll want to make sure to marinade it in a little olive oil if you're grilling it, or I prefer to pan fry it, so I just use butter, or oil (a luxury is if you have TRUFFLE OIL - that makes it very nice), and a touch of sea salt, and pepper. I like to taste the deer as much as possible. Just a very gamey taste - like a gamey roast beef almost. It's really quite nice. Nothing you need an acquired taste for or anything like that.

Squirrel is best prepared in a stew, IMO. Just like you would a regular ole beef stew (same ingredients), except I was taught to roll the squirrel in some batter first (seasoned/spiced flour), and then pan-fry it in a little with some oil, and butter. Squirrel is a dark meat, and the texture is somewhat similar to chicken, but the taste is not similar at all. It has a texture comparable to chicken, but a little but "chewier." It has a wild gamey flavor to it as well - very nice, and very "natural" (no feed hormones, etc.). It's important the person knows what they are doing, if you overcook it, it will be too dry.

I hate people who talk **** about hunting like it's cruel. It's much more humane than how the animals died that provide the meat for what you buy in the grocery store. Animals who lived their lives on "factory farms" in cramped stalls, and likely were treated with cruelty.
    wow that sounds delicious.

Comment

Working...
    X