Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should you hook with vertical or horizontal fists?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should you hook with vertical or horizontal fists?

I googled this question already and on reddit it said vertical fist for inside hook and horizontal fists for long distance hook. Is this correct? Please explain why thanks

Also which on produces the most power if you are doing inside hook

I prefer horizontal with palm down when I’m throwing it from the outside. Inside you should be throwing vertical for more power

Comment

It is not an either/or question. You turn the punch over; in general terms that means the punch starts with the thumb up and ends with the palm down.

If you start the punch by lifting your elbow to get your palm down, you are tipping off the punch. If you fight somebody that knows how to fight, he will make you pay every time you do that.

Comment

I much prefer the "American style" (vertical fist) hook, for a couple of reasons. For one, your knuckles are aligned with your 'flight path'. If you miss, there's less likelihood of just clipping your opponent with one or two knuckles, and potentially breaking one (I've broken my pinky knuckle before)

Secondly, I feel the American hook is more anatomically structurally sound. Turn your hand over like a regular hook and feel the bones in your forearm (radius and ulna). They're twisted. Now, hold your hand like you're holding a mug, and notice how the radius and ulna are aligned straight

Comment

Palm down is kickboxing stuff. I was trained in that and once I got a good boxing coach to show me the correct way to throw a hook thumbs up, my left hook power went through the roof.

Palms down is for when you're arm punching (hence the twist at the end). If you're driving your feet into the floor and getting true power, twisting your forearm robs so much of that energy. Thumbs up is more ergonomic and lets you put your whole body into the punch without losing power through that stupid twist.

Comment

Thumbs up vertical is best in my book. Why add the extra step of twisting your wrist at the end of the punch. I don't know what it would gain

Comment

Palm sideways for me. If you clip the bag/opponent then you still connect with all your knuckles and reduce the chance of injuring individual fingers.

Comment

Take a look at ur gloves. See where the wear is from the impact. U want the style that put it across the knuckles the most consistently. Hard to throw a short hook palms vertical. Also easier to end up slapping that way. I switched back in the day after looking at my glove. Feels so natural now, but wasent before. It’s basically something u need to work out. Watch film and find a lunch u like, try it.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastbound View Post
                  Thumbs up vertical is best in my book. Why add the extra step of twisting your wrist at the end of the punch. I don't know what it would gain
                  Vertical always worked out best for me.

Comment

My trainer taught me horizontal hooks, but I prefer vertical

Comment

Working...
                    X