Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Many Spots Up The ATG Would Wins over Cotto and Tony Have Moved Floyd?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
    It's been impressive. He's improved technically and physically, it seems. Mayweather, on the other hand, looked like he was fading against Cotto. I think he has a lot of trouble with Guerrero's style and Canelo's size.
    A little. He's 36. I think the best performance of his career, physically, might have been Corley in 2004 (that's the fight I'd show anyone to be like here's everything Mayweather could do and overcome some adversity against a competent pro). His greatest remains Corrales. He's good enough to have lasted past that with a very gradual decline. I also think rumors of Cotto being shot were as dramatically silly as they've been since the Margarito loss. A possible HOFer with a bucket of experience showed up and gave a lights out HOFer a tough fight.

That's just common.

Comment

• Originally posted by crold1 View Post
      A little. He's 36. I think the best performance of his career, physically, might have been Corley in 2004. He's good enough to have lasted past that with a very gradual decline. I also think rumors of Cotto being shot were as dramatically silly as they've been since the Margarito loss. A possible HOFer with a bucket of experience showed up and gave a lights out HOFer a tough fight.

That's just common.
      I watched Mayweather-Gatti a couple weeks ago and boy, time flies. He's much slower than he was in 2004/2005. He's slower than he was in 2009. And the next time he steps in the ring it'll be three years since he fought Mosley. The end is near my friend. It always looks like they're fading slowly until they lose it all in one night. Right now I believe that night is here. If he escapes 2013 unscathed I'll be shocked.

Comment

• Originally posted by Garcia's Dad View Post
        That "excellent" fighter, who was cherrypicked by Team Margs on the basis of his "excellent" showing against Mayorga?

That same Shane?

Sure was "excellent" that he managed to fight a distracted and unfocused Margarito that night. Then 18 months and two back to back training camps later, looks less than "excellent" against Mayweather.

Hey, we can do this all night.

I've got a better idea. We can throw this out to the BoxingScene public.
        Yet you completely discount the fact that Mayweather only had one fight in what, 2 years as well?

Comment

• 33 posts by a single user in this thread, is that a new record?

Comment

I watched Mayweather-Gatti a couple weeks ago and boy, time flies. He's much slower than he was in 2004/2005. He's slower than he was in 2009. And the next time he steps in the ring it'll be three years since he fought Mosley. The end is near my friend. It always looks like they're fading slowly until they lose it all in one night. Right now I believe that night is here. If he escapes 2013 unscathed I'll be shocked.
            No argument here. More stationary too. Guerrero could depend on the ref in terms of how it plays out, but I like that he's shown he can fight inside and out. He'll pick up some losses over the years as he struggles financially etc. Could have some already in an era where there was more activity, less star power, or better young Welterweights. May start this year.

They all get old, or at least Apollo Creed said so.

Comment

If he'd waited a couple months, it screws up the timeline for an Oscar fight. No one at that point screwed with a chance at Oscar. No way in Dante's seven levels of hell should he have waited for Mosley to go on vacation and get his tooth fixed. Mosley beat Vargas in July and couldn't have taken a fight in November? Really?

He offered Mosley first up. Mosley said wait. So he fought the lineal Welterweight champion. And that's a problem because...
              That was only 3.5 months after his previous fight with Vargas and they still needed to negotiate a deal. So delaying a bit did make sense! If you thought that was OK then it would have been OK to do it a bit later and still had time for the Oscar fight.

They could have negotiated a date that was more suitable for both. perhaps December or January. That would have left plenty of time for the Oscar fight but you bring up the point which makes me feel 100% confident that Floyd never wanted to fight Mosley before Oscar. Mosley could have ruined everything for Floyd.

Let's face it, Larry Merchant, who interviewed Mosley, wanted to see that fight more than Floyd. Mosley was OK with a fight but preferred a few months later ....

Comment

• Originally posted by ADP02 View Post
                That was only 3.5 months after his previous fight with Vargas and they still needed to negotiate a deal. So delaying a bit did make sense! If you thought that was OK then it would have been OK to do it a bit later and still had time for the Oscar fight.

They could have negotiated a date that was more suitable for both. perhaps December or January. That would have left plenty of time for the Oscar fight but you bring up the point which makes me feel 100% confident that Floyd never wanted to fight Mosley before Oscar. Mosley could have ruined everything for Floyd.

Let's face it, Larry Merchant, who interviewed Mosley, wanted to see that fight more than Floyd. Mosley was OK with a fight but preferred a few months later ....
                Why do you assume it was Floyd? Mosley was a PARTNER at Golden Boy. Could he have talked up a vacation because the company had already gone in a firm direction? Mosley made a ton of iffy career choices over the years too in general. If he wanted Floyd, all signs were it could have happened. Hell, it took a whopping no time at all to make the fight when Mosley-Berto fell through.

Not every fight that didn't happen is Floyd's fault. 3.5 months is plenty of time.

Comment

No argument here. More stationary too. Guerrero could depend on the ref in terms of how it plays out, but I like that he's shown he can fight inside and out. He'll pick up some losses over the years as he struggles financially etc. Could have some already in an era where there was more activity, less star power, or better young Welterweights. May start this year.

They all get old, or at least Apollo Creed said so.
                  Agreed. There's a new era upon us and guys like Mayweather and Pacquiao are at the end of their respective roads. It'll be fun to see who jockeys for their position as the sport's biggest star--I think the race starts now. Good chat, man.

Comment

Agreed. There's a new era upon us and guys like Mayweather and Pacquiao are at the end of their respective roads. It'll be fun to see who jockeys for their position as the sport's biggest star--I think the race starts now. Good chat, man.
                    I wouldn't be surprised to see Floyd do a Hopkins and score some big upsets versus some humdrum nights over the years, though its tougher given the speed needs at lower weights. I think Pac might have a big win or two left against some ugly losses before becoming a late life, needs money attraction like Duran and Chavez did.

But, yeah, it always turns over.

Comment

• Originally posted by Garcia's Dad View Post
                      That "excellent" fighter, who was cherrypicked by Team Margs on the basis of his "excellent" showing against Mayorga?

That same Shane?

Sure was "excellent" that he managed to fight a distracted and unfocused Margarito that night. Then 18 months and two back to back training camps later, looks less than "excellent" against Mayweather.

Hey, we can do this all night.

I've got a better idea. We can throw this out to the BoxingScene public.
                      I really don't understand why people keep mentioning that Margo was distracted going into the Shane Mosley fight. I mean- The Guy Was Caught Cheating!! In no way should Margo get a pass for being "distracted" when he cheated the sport and couldve injured Shane. The same Margo keeps getting a pass against Cotto, when its widely speculated that he cheated in tht fight too. We all know Cotto had pics of his handwraps after the fight with all of that breakage. It amazes me that people act like Margo couldnt have possibly been loading his gloves for several fights, and Naasim Richardson caught him. Anyone would be foolish to believe that the Mosley fight was the only fight Margo was loading up. I refuse to give this guy credit as being "ducked" when he blantantly cheated the sport- just so happen it was during the time when the division was HOT

Comment

Working...
                      X