Hopoate finds softer side as he prepares for Atomic Bull

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopoate finds softer side as he prepares for Atomic Bull

Jamie Pandaram

INCLINATION for the inflammatory is a noted trait of John Hopoate, and he was in full swing fronting a media throng yesterday to promote his fight against former heavyweight world champion Oliver McCall in Las Vegas in two weeks.

Of his comical Dora the Explorer sleeveless hoodie, he said: "It's also another ploy [for] Oliver McCall to look at me and think, 'Who is this poof coming over to fight me?' He will be very surprised."

And then: "I put rugby league on the world stage with my finger antics, the NRL should be paying me for that."

Vintage Hoppa, and head-shaking from all in earshot. It is difficult to comprehend, but there was a time he was afraid to leave his house, and ashamed his children had to endure taunts such as "John Stop-a-farty".

The father of eight regrets his dishonourable discharge from league in 2005, found guilty of deliberately elbowing opposing forward Keith Galloway in the head.

And he will never escape the fallout of his "finger antics", when he poked opposing players in the anus during a 2001 match.

"I wouldn't be who I am if none of those things happened, but in saying that I wish my career didn't end the way it did," he said. "When I got suspended the media were at my house from 6am to 6pm … All I did was sit inside.

"And the stuff the kids copped - it was through my actions. I didn't like that. They were very tough times. One thing I did have in those tough times was my family - and my faith. As the scripture says, everything comes to pass."

Hopoate (11-2, 11KO) said now the darkness had passed, his family had been blessed with this shot at McCall and the vacant IBA Intercontinental heavyweight title, as well as the success of his son William, 17 this week, who last year signed a $300,000 deal with the Sea Eagles.

Hopoate's mother, Melesisi, describes her 34-year-old son as a committed family man who "has the biggest heart in the whole wide world".

She revealed that he bought her a new car with his first pay cheque from Manly in 1995 while on a $50,000 contract.

"To receive bad publicity all his life and still come back, doesn't that mean anything?" Mrs Hopoate said. "It means he comes from a good family. We went through hell. We don't care, we know our son is the best. He is my life, my son."

Now leader of his church youth group, steering youngsters away from his own mistakes, Hopoate said: "People don't want to know about that side of me, they just want to know the bad side. Away from the field or the ring, I am a completely different person.

"Once I get over that sideline or jump in the ring, I am there to win and I do anything in my power to make that happen."

McCall, 44, a father of seven whose 20-year-old son Elijah will fight on the undercard to the coming bout, is best known for his breakdown during a bout against Lennox Lewis in 1997. He refused to engage and began to cry before the referee stopped the contest.

McCall's own transgressions are significantly more serious. He has served jail time for robbery and fought alcohol and drug addiction. Police were forced to use a stun gun to subdue him during an arrest in 2006.

McCall (51-9, 36 KOs) was Mike Tyson's sparring partner and has never been stopped in his lengthy pro career.

Hopoate believes that McCall is too old to deal with his power, adding: "I don't think he will come as the same guy that cried for this fight, he is older now and he wants a payday and they won't pay him if he does that."

Of his critics, he said: "They've kicked me when I was down, but I have always got back up on my feet. I'm always going to get up. This is for my family, and I will never lie down when it comes to my family."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/bea...289167657.html

will this fight be televised anywhere worldwide?

Comment

on secondsout.com.au for $10

Comment

Working...
      X