No announcement yet.

Why is European food bland?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
    Isn't 'sofrito' Spanish? (nationality not language)
    from Puerto Rico

everyone makes it different doe we just make it better

Comment

Originally posted by -jose- View Post
      from Puerto Rico

everyone makes it different doe we just make it better
      Haha fair. I was looking up some Puerto Rican food to cook, Jose, any suggestions?

I'm doing a bit of a culinary world tour. Made Mole poblano w/ chicken and rice the other day, beef musaman (thai), Vindaloo (Indian/Portuguese), Chicken Tikka Masala (Indian/ British), Paella (Spanish), Lahcmacun (Turkish) and a few others too

I know some mexican amigos in here will appreciate the butt ache that goes into making mole. Delicious though

Comment

Haha fair. I was looking up some Puerto Rican food to cook, Jose, any suggestions?

I'm doing a bit of a culinary world tour. Made Mole poblano w/ chicken and rice the other day, beef musaman (thai), Vindaloo (Indian/Portuguese), Chicken Tikka Masala (Indian/ British), Paella (Spanish), Lahcmacun (Turkish) and a few others too

I know some mexican amigos in here will appreciate the butt ache that goes into making mole. Delicious though
        I'll give you my pad thai recipe if you want, brother

Comment

Originally posted by rorymac View Post
          I'll give you my pad thai recipe if you want, brother
          yeah if you got it. Love Pad Thai. Money's tight atm due to moving house but when I can afford to cook more interesting stuff again I'll give it a go. I would offer you my recipes, but most of them are only a Google search away. Except the Lahcmacun, if you want that it's yours

Comment

yeah if you got it. Love Pad Thai. Money's tight atm due to moving house but when I can afford to cook more interesting stuff again I'll give it a go. I would offer you my recipes, but most of them are only a Google search away. Except the Lahcmacun, if you want that it's yours
            I cook it quite often so I normally have the basic ingredients kicking about... otherwise it does get pretty expensive.

I tend to fry a shallot in a wok with nut oil, a bit of brown sugar and ginger. Throw in strips of chicken and/or prawns, and stain with soy sauce. While you're doing this your rice noodles should be soaking in warm water for about 4 minutes. Add in some fish sauce and tamarind paste. Put the noodles in with some beansprouts (optional) and toss it together with lime, peanuts and coriander. Takes a bit of preparation but cooking is less than 10 minutes.

I wanna hear your lahmacun

Comment

if you could make yourself a good plate of "arroz con pollo" (PR style) then you in business, not even Bobby Flay can't perfect one
              Last edited by -jose-; 12-09-2014, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rorymac View Post
                I cook it quite often so I normally have the basic ingredients kicking about... otherwise it does get pretty expensive.

I tend to fry a shallot in a wok with nut oil, a bit of brown sugar and ginger. Throw in strips of chicken and/or prawns, and stain with soy sauce. While you're doing this your rice noodles should be soaking in warm water for about 4 minutes. Add in some fish sauce and tamarind paste. Put the noodles in with some beansprouts (optional) and toss it together with lime, peanuts and coriander. Takes a bit of preparation but cooking is less than 10 minutes.

I wanna hear your lahmacun
                Man that sounds so good. Definitely attacking that soon.

Lahmacun:

Either make a basic white bread dough or buy pre made pizza bases. If your making it yourself (which is much nicer trust) then when you leave the dough to proof you can get the rest of the ingredients together.

Youll need Lamb mince (lean preferably, not for health reasons but because it gets cooked on top of the base so too much fat will soak into it), tomatoes (chopped or fresh, if you use chopped be careful not to make it too moist, same reason as above), tomatoe puree, paprika, ground cinnamon, onion, sumac, garlic, sesame seeds, either hummus or tahini (i like hummus as tahini is a bit bitter) and dried chili flakes/chilli poweder/chili of your choice.

And heres the easy bit.

Chop/ grate everything up and mix that ish together (reserving some parsley to make it look pretty). i like to do this early on so that the flavours can get a chance to blend properly.

Preheat oven to about 175, lightly flour a baking tray and put in oven to warm up.

Take your dough and divide into however many you are making. roll it out to between half a cm and a cm. Have it thick or thin as to your personal preference, but remember that a thin base could burn while the mince is cooking so if you make it thin i'd use less lamb topping.

Spread a thin layer of Hummus over the base, then spread the lamb mix over the top. sprinkle your sesame seeds over the lahmacun, then place in oven for approx 20 minutes (just until its done)

If you are feeling flash you can use pine nuts instead of sesame seeds but they are expensive and i dont really see that they benefit the meal that much.

Take out, sprinkle some parsley over top and serve with tzatziki (yoghurt, cucumber, garlic and paprika) or a leaf salad.

apologies if its a bit rambling i tried to do it from memory!

An alternative way that my mum used to do it was to use pitta pockets halved down the seam as the base and have it as finger food. She used to cook massive batches of the things and they are delicious cold so we'd eat them for days

Comment

Originally posted by -jose- View Post
                  if you could make yourself a good plate of "arroz con pollo" (PR style) then you in business, not even Bobby Flay can't perfect one
                  Cheers Jose.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/d...lo-recipe.html

Ill give this recipe a go at some point!

Comment

Working...
                  X