Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shadow Boxing.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You NEVER lock out in the elbow when you shadow or throw for real. If you lock out........................................you missed!!
    What you do in the gym is what you do in the fight!

bodyguy if you read my post correctly I'm stating NOT TO lock out and extend fully!! I've never taught or heard a trainer say to fully extend your arm when shadowing. I've been in boxing and in gyms for 50 years. From Gleasons to Miami to my Ring One and never heard that ever!!! Ray.

Comment

I did not say to lock out your elbows. That would be a way of INCORRECTLY extending your punches. When I say extend your punches it doesn't mean just throw them out as far as they can go. Like I said with proper hip/torso rotation you can maximize your reach without over extending.

Look at this picture of Rigondeaux an excellent technical boxer throwing the left cross.

thesweetscience.com/images/stories/boxing/Rigondeaux_Kennedy_120609_001a.jpg

(can't post links add W W W to see pic. Or google rigondeaux left cross

Arm is 90% extended very slight bend at elbow. His rear shoulder has moved towards his right knee with his head never crossing over his front knee. Hips are folded correctly keeping his weight centered. Chest is up and posture is correct so his shoulder never leaves the socket and his chin remains tucked.

Maybe you misunderstood but I'm saying that you use your body/hips/torso to extend your punches. Not by "locking out your arm"

Comment

As I said you didn't read my post correctly! I'm looking to land with a strong angle remaining in arm and ofcourse looking to follow beyond my target.

I've worked with a few decent punchers in my time from Shavers to Zarate' to Tyson. A few others that hit just as hard but aren't known by the "fans"!
        Lots a hard hitting fellows out there that never get to the ring!!! Ray

nite kids play nice!!! Watch the fight tonite, its rare to see high talent against each other these days!

Comment

For hooks, straight punches or both? Because obviously for a hook/uppercut there will be an angle in the arm. But I don't see why you'd ever throw a straight right and stuff your punch.

Shavers throwing a right hand:

assets.espn.go.com/photo/2007/0927/box_ap_shavers_275.jpg

Extremely similar position to Rigondeaux. Arm extended, posture etc.

Tyson: awesomehq.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/mike-tyson-01.jpg

Same thing.

Comment

Working...
          X