Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Pacquiao-Marquez the greatest boxing rivalry of all time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Certain people in this thread hate Pacquiao/love Mayweather so much that they can't even acknowledge that Pacquiao may have participated in a series of memorable/classic fights.

The worst Pac-Marquez fight was their third fight,and even that was an interesting,tactically engaging fight.A fight in which many had predicted Marquez would be destroyed,and that the move up in weight,his age,and number of tough fights he had been would finally catch up to him.

The fact that they're both genuinely great fighters that will go down in history as such obviously helps,too.

Comment

I'd say it's definitely up there.

Two ATG warriors, 4 fights, 7 knockdowns (5 for one, 2 for the other), 1 brutal KO, blood, sweat, tears, guts, controversy.

Not many cases you can say this about.

Comment

From an aesthetic, action, quality, skill level standpoint, Pac/JMM was far better than Ali/Frazier and way more exciting.

Ali/Frazier was more about politics than actual quality. Ali dominated Frazier rather easily most of the time and he needed to resort to racial cheapshots against his own people just to sell the fight.

Ali was more exciting out of the ring than he was in the ring. Nowhere near the level of Pac and JMM.

Comment

Originally posted by prinzemanspopa View Post
          Certain people in this thread hate Pacquiao/love Mayweather so much that they can't even acknowledge that Pacquiao may have participated in a series of memorable/classic fights.

The worst Pac-Marquez fight was their third fight,and even that was an interesting,tactically engaging fight.A fight in which many had predicted Marquez would be destroyed,and that the move up in weight,his age,and number of tough fights he had been would finally catch up to him.

The fact that they're both genuinely great fighters that will go down in history as such obviously helps,too.
          really dude. so you honestly believe me not calling this a classic rivalry is because i hate manny and like floyd. What does my opinion take away from manny?

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Ruby View Post
            From an aesthetic, action, quality, skill level standpoint, Pac/JMM was far better than Ali/Frazier and way more exciting.

Ali/Frazier was more about politics than actual quality. Ali dominated Frazier rather easily most of the time and he needed to resort to racial cheapshots against his own people just to sell the fight.

Ali was more exciting out of the ring than he was in the ring. Nowhere near the level of Pac and JMM.
            alot of ali fans probably dont know that

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
              really dude. so you honestly believe me not calling this a classic rivalry is because i hate manny and like floyd.

Absolutely.You compared it to Holyfield-Ruiz for f^ck sake.

You referenced Gatti-Ward earlier on in this thread.Gatti-Ward had a single exciting fight and two mediocre,one-sided fights that followed.In what way was that a better rivalry than Marquez and Pacquiao?

Comment

no. ali and frazier had a rivalry before the 3rd fight. were you calling this a rivalry between jmm and manny before fight 3. No. so how does this become a classic rivalry just because jmm got a KO in a fight that the majority of fans didn't want and that one of the competitors only sought because he couldn't arrange his 1st choice?

context out of the ring contributes to making a series of fights between 2 boxers a rivalry. we don't call every series of fights between 2 men a rivalry do we?
                Everyone was calling this a rivalry. Who didn't? Good God. The whole "our generation's fab four" thing has been around years, with their rivalry as part of an even bigger group rivalry.

Dude, you're digging in your heels on a position that makes no sense. It's okay to take a deep breath and...

STEP AWAY FROM THE INTERNET.

Everybody needs to sometimes.

Comment

Fair points but I was not around then and can't possibly know how I would feel about them if I was. I just know that the 2nd fight didn't take place when it should have and

To Konstatntin: the last 2 fights wre supposed to be blowouts by Manny to set up floyd fights. They had 3 close fights but in each fight after the 1st manny was at least a 3-1 favorite in each because he was moving JMM up in weight. These are not 2 evenly matched fighters in the same weight class.

The result of the 4th fight automatically gives the 4th fight legitimacy. And not a rivalry. Every fight but the fourth fight has been basically even. They are as evenly matched as it gets. Your logic is illogical.

Comment

Originally posted by prinzemanspopa View Post
                    Absolutely.You compared it to Holyfield-Ruiz for f^ck sake.

You referenced Gatti-Ward earlier on in this thread.Gatti-Ward had a single exciting fight and two mediocre,one-sided fights that followed.In what way was that a better rivalry than Marquez and Pacquiao?
                    fair question. gatti and ward felt like a rivalry this hasn't. How many of you were calling this a rivalry before this fight? not a whole lot. there was the distance between fights 1 and 2, the fact they weren't in same weight class for fights 3 and 4, the circumstances surrounding fights 3 and 4 happening, everything i posted in the thread.

yes they had 3 exciting fights. but that just doesn't make it a rivalry. Gatto wrad isn't gatti robinson. castillo floyd isnt castillo corrales, bowe holyfield isn't bowe ruiz and mannyjmm isn't manny MAB or manny morales.

Comment

• Originally posted by crold1 View Post
                      Everyone was calling this a rivalry. Who didn't? Good God. The whole "our generation's fab four" thing has been around years, with their rivalry as part of an even bigger group rivalry.

Dude, you're digging in your heels on a position that makes no sense. It's okay to take a deep breath and...

STEP AWAY FROM THE INTERNET.

Everybody needs to sometimes.
                      you may have called it that but I and others, nor the majority have. you really are comparing this to srl, hearns, hagler and duran.

Comment

Working...
                      X