Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much sit ups & push ups should a featherweight do?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much sit ups & push ups should a featherweight do?

How much sit ups & push ups should a featherweight do? Cause featherweight punches weaker, I am not really worried about muscle training, but I just wanted to check.

Right now, I do 50 push ups, 50 sit ups, 50 back raise (or however you call that), 50 squats, 50 neck ups, and I do 3 sets (by the third set, I can't do 50 at once but take breaks in between). Up to the 2nd set, I can do 50 at once. The next day, I do jump rope for 30 minutes straight. The next day, I take a break. Then I repeat this 3 day pattern. When my body gets more used to the exercises (my calves get tensed up for 3 days at the moment after jump ropes), I am thinking of removing the resting day so that I make this into a 2 day pattern (1 day for muscles, 1 day for cardio).

As for my diet, I drink juices & shakes (meal replacement, protein). No solid food. I have been dropping weight (still need to lose a couple kilograms to get into featherweight).

I noticed that lighter weight divisions mostly focus on light endurance exercises rather than muscle exercises. I just wanted to check if my cardio & muscle program suffices for featherweight in pro boxing. I don't do roadwork. I get bored easily & replaced roadwork with 30 minute jump rope which is similar in intensity (unless you sprint in roadwork) but can watch cable TV.

I am 5'7'' or 172cm. Right now, I am 62.1kg. I am dropping to 55kg. When I eat solid food, that should be around 57kg (featherweight).
    Last edited by wilberbear; 09-06-2015, 07:35 PM. Reason: forgot to include my personal physical stats

Are you not doing any boxing specific exercise? And why no solid foods?

Comment

No. I will be joining back a boxing gym this November unless things go well (I really don't want to have to do pro-boxing; boxing is just a hobby for me while I am entitled to how things should go). As for now, I am only making the body. Fluid diet seems to work for me. I tried a couple different weight loss programs, but this seems to work the best for me. Also, fluid diet is easy to keep a track of how my weight fluctuates with my eating as the water weight leaks out almost immediately. In like 1 hour, my weight is back to the weight before I had a shake. When you eat solid food, your weight doesn't go back down until you get up in the morning (& likely not until you have a morning poop); it is hard to tell whether your excess weight at the moment would lead to weight increment or loss in the morning for solid food. Not to mention how much you should eat.

I am replying to the dips & pull ups suggestion below right here because I am getting this error: Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

No idea what that error message means.

Dips to failure? For lighter weight divisions like my featherweight? I don't have dip bars nor pull up bars anyway. Other lighter weight boxers like Gennady Golovkin seem to be doing light endurance muscle works instead of power works like that. Besides, doing push ups anyway. 50 is pretty close to failure (I can't do the 3rd 50 at once). How about sit ups? I gotta be able to take a punch, but it is a lighter weight division. 3 sets of 50 enough for featherweight (not heavyweight)?
      Last edited by wilberbear; 09-07-2015, 09:05 AM. Reason: typo + bonus explanation

Comment

Add pull ups and dips to your routine. Do 3-5 sets of pull ups to failure on each set and 2 sets of dips to failure on both sets.

Comment

Dips to failure? For lighter weight divisions like my featherweight? I don't have dip bars nor pull up bars anyway. Other lighter weight boxers like Gennady Golovkin seem to be doing light endurance muscle works instead of power works like that. Besides, doing push ups anyway. 50 is pretty close to failure (I can't do the 3rd 50 at once). How about sit ups? I gotta be able to take a punch, but it is a lighter weight division. 3 sets of 50 enough for featherweight (not heavyweight)?

Thanks for the tip. I am not looking for an "excellent shape" though. I am looking for a common regular physique, something that I can get away with, like the minimum effort. For sit ups (taking hits) & upper body works for featherweight (they are all skinny). I am not trying to be the best featherweight boxer ever nor a world champion. That's not "my (my entitled rights being taken away is 1 thing, whose interest is it is another)" interest. I am just curious "how much should I do & can get away with" for exercises as a featherweight boxer if I were to go pro boxing.
          Last edited by wilberbear; 09-07-2015, 10:02 AM.

Comment

If you're not doing any sports-specific exercises you're not really boxing. You're just getting into shape. You don't get a boxers body if you don't box.

To answer the original question there is no set number you should be doing. Just do the amount you're capable of.

However some degree of effort is a must. Push yourself a bit. You're not going to do well at anything if you're only willing to put in "minimum effort" and you don't want to be in "excellent shape".

Add in some running, dips and pull ups and keep doing your circuit. You can also include more stretching and ab work. That's completely sufficient to get in good shape.

Comment

I was just curious what the borderline exercise amount to the sufficiency was for featherweight pro boxing. Yes, I am talking about getting in shape. I don't care if you consider it boxing related or not. So then, without considering me boxing, what is the average sit up & push up for an average featherweight pro boxer?

Comment

I didn't say it wasn't boxing related, just that you can't say you're boxing when you're not actually boxing.

There is no "average" that I'm aware of. I don't think any studies have been done on this.

If you can do 50, like you've said, then shoot for 75. Once you can do 75 aim for 100 etc. If you want to test your fitness you could try a military style pft.

Comment

Ah. It is just that I don't want to be keep pushing myself. Once I reach a certain physique, I just want to maintain that instead of pushing further. That's why I wanted to know these. Thanks anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by wilberbear View Post
                    It is just that I don't want to be keep pushing myself.
                    I don't think I need to say anything else.

Comment

Working...
                    X