Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has the better resume Pernell Whitaker or Manny Pacquiao?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by heavyhands702 View Post
    i hate to be a spoiler, but if you have to ask this question then you definitely don't know **** about boxing. sweet pea fought fighters who were in their prime and not at catch weights. paquiao never fought anyone who could actually move around the ring and had the hand speed of a mayweather or whitaker. good counter punchers would destroy pac and this was proven by marquez on numerous occasions.
    On 4th try. Is that why Floyd wants him to sign to his joke promotion as a condition to fighting, even now?

Comment

• Originally posted by Since 1985 View Post
      These are two of the best southpaws of all time!
      Best southpaws of all time? No way. And if I had to pick between resumes, I would go with Sweet Pea, but both have solid HOF resumes, but the two best southpaws? Good one.
      Originally posted by Bombs View Post
      Is this some sort of a sick joke?? Pacquiao has one of the best if not the BEST resume of all time.
      The joke is what you just posted.

Comment

• Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
        Bottom line: Decorations and awards are meaningless. Resume is ALL about who you beat and when you beat them.

Poet
        I agree, especially with the 2nd part of your statement.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue Mercury View Post
          *cough* robbed of 3 wins, ever seen the complete first fight with Pea vs Ramirez ?
          Possibly the worst robbery in the history of the sport, certainly the worst I've ever seen.

Comment

• Originally posted by uncle pauly View Post
            It is very close. The quality of their opponents is equal.

Pacquiao's resume is more incredible d/t the range in the weight classes.

That right there is the big differentiating factor.
            I agree that this is what it comes down to. Resumes are very even. The accomplishments are close, but Pac takes those due to his weight division titles.

Most people don't even know anything about the people on Whitakers resume, let alone remember them and be able to relate them to todays era and Pac's wins. Way too many noobs that have no understanding of just how good the names on his resume are. They hear names like Nelson and it's "Who's that? He's just some dude that lost to Salvador Sanchez!", if they even know that! 90% of this thread is classic NSB stuff, full of idiots, inbreds and imbeciles arguing about stuff they simply don't know about.

The only difference is the weight divisions Pac won titles in, and obviously goes in his favour clearly. You also must look at Whitaker unifying the lightweight division for the first time since Duran.

Still, I just don't think any of these guys that have only just started watching boxing and know Pac and Floyd, all of whom vote for Pac obviously, have any idea, at all, who Whitaker's opponents are.

Whitaker has the best win. You can't argue that one. The only problem is, he was robbed blind. One of the worst robberies in boxing history and somehow people think that shouldn't count then and that he doesn't really have a win over Chavez. With that thinking though, you'd have to take away every win Pac has over Marquez, all of those fights much, much closer.

We have Roger Mayweather,
            Jose Luis Ramirez (classic example of a guy that most of those voting for Pac are going to have no idea about),
            Greg Haugen,
            Freddie Pendleton,
            Azumah Nelson,
            Juan Nazario,
            Jorge Paez,
            Harold Brazier (if anyone adds Diaz and Clottey to Pac's resume, you have to add guys like Brazier for Whitaker...again though, people in NSB simply aren't going to know how good this guy was and how great a champion he'd be today),
            Rafael Pineda
            Buddy McGirt
            Julio Cesar Chavez
            Jake Rodriguez
            Diobelys Hurtado
            Julio Cesar Vasquez

The thing is, when everyone voting today knows of a guy like Clottey, they'll say "He was a top welterweight and one of Pac's best wins at 147! Hugely underrated win and way better most of Whitaker's" while guys exactly like them in another twenty years who don't know anything about this era will look back and say "Man, that Clottey dude lost every big fight he had and could only win a vacant title once against a shot guy before losing it straight away. He was a ****ing bum, nothing more than a basic contender in an era with 5 titles in each division! He didn't do **** and lost all his big fights".

The classic thing of this perspective is that unless you actually know about the era you are not going to understand the slightest thing about most of the wins.

Do people here think Clottey and Margarito were good wins for Pac? Nearly everyone that has voted for Pac would say yes. I guarantee it. Those same people will then go and slag off wins for Whitaker like Harold Brazier and Freddie Pendleton with the ol' "They lost heaps bro! Pac pwns dat ass! Clottey would dominate and knock those guys out easy! He was a beast! Didn't you see him fight Cotto?!". Yeah, I did. I also saw Brazier and Pendleton fight and I can say without the slightest doubt that they'd be top champions today pretty easy.

Comment

• Originally posted by garfios View Post
              And then he quit and got a gift dec against Randall, well he got the gift and then quit, twice...
              Sugar Ray Robinson quit.

Roberto Duran quit.

What did Chavez do in the 14 years, 10 of those as champion, before he first quit at age 32 after nearly 100 fights, with only two losses?

For a guy that had his prime in the 80's and early 90's, to have beaten 15 champions, in an era when only the WBC and WBA were still recognised as the only legit titles, he nearly equals Pacquiao who has only defeated about 16 champions in an era of 5 titles per division. Take away any champions considered paper titlists for Pac and how many wins over champions he's still got.

Chavez holds records for most successful consecutive defenses of world titles (27), most title fights (37), most title-fight victories (31) and he is after Joe Louis with (23) for most title defenses won by knockout (21). Chávez also has the longest undefeated streak in boxing history, 13 years, until Whitaker. His record was 89-0-1 going into his first loss to Frankie Randall and had an 87 fight win streak until his "draw" with Whitaker.
              Last edited by BennyST; 07-27-2013, 11:29 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
                Best southpaws of all time? No way. And if I had to pick between resumes, I would go with Sweet Pea, but both have solid HOF resumes, but the two best southpaws? Good one.

The joke is what you just posted.
                Let's see your list of the better southpaws since you think that's so funny.

Comment

• Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
                  So, tell us who is better? The only other who are up there with them are Hagler and Saldivar.

Best southpaws of all time list might include guys like:

Marvin Hagler
                  Pernell Whitaker
                  Vincente Saldivar
                  Manny Pacquiao
                  Horacio Acavallo
                  Tiger Flowers
                  Pongsaklek Wonjongkam
                  Winky Wright
                  Khaosai Galaxy
                  Flash Elorde
                  Macho Camacho
                  Young Corbett III
                  Marc Johnson
                  Jose Luis Ramirez
                  Daniel Zaragoza
                  Joe Calzaghe

I can't think of any more.... I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of any more great ones after that.

Lew Tendler is another.

Comment

• Originally posted by BennyST View Post
                    Sugar Ray Robinson quit.

Roberto Duran quit.

What did Chavez do in the 14 years, 10 of those as champion, before he first quit at age 32 after nearly 100 fights, with only two losses?

For a guy that had his prime in the 80's and early 90's, to have beaten 15 champions, in an era when only the WBC and WBA were still recognised as the only legit titles, he nearly equals Pacquiao who has only defeated about 16 champions in an era of 5 titles per division. Take away any champions considered paper titlists for Pac and how many wins over champions he's still got.

Chavez holds records for most successful consecutive defenses of world titles (27), most title fights (37), most title-fight victories (31) and he is after Joe Louis with (23) for most title defenses won by knockout (21). Chávez also has the longest undefeated streak in boxing history, 13 years, until Whitaker. His record was 89-0-1 going into his first loss to Frankie Randall and had an 87 fight win streak until his "draw" with Whitaker.
                    Just to add to the fun facts about Chavez, he also holds the (joint) record of most past, present and future world Champions beaten with I think (top of my head) 19 along with Mayweather.

Comment

• as far as resume whitaker for sure in a fight come on sweet pea by dominating UD

don't forget Whitaker as an amateur beat angel Herrera 4 out of five times lost the first then learned Whitaker also won gold at the pan-am games and the Olympics won more than 200 times before he turned pro then Unified the lightweight title does anyone do that anymore not only unified it but won three different fights against three different fighters to do so when he beat Haugen for the IBF belt he was so dominate winning all 12 rounds on 2 of the judges cards like I was saying he was so good JCC had the other two belts instead of fighting whitaker to unify he went to 140lbs and vacated his belts and was one fight from unifying not only did JCC ditch the division because there was no future there as long as sweet pea was there Rossario Mayweather Haugen Camacho all made the jump as well hmmm that says something when 4 HOF fighters all make the jump Vs dela hoya when he was well past his prime and his body looked soft he outpunched outlanded and landed at a higher % had the only knock down of the fight and still lost his belt BS BOGUS DECISION 1st ramerez fight won the first five rounds Broke his left hand and still dominated the fight BS BOGUS DECISION chavez I mean come on we all saw "The Fight" right well the judges did not BS BOGUS DECISION in his prime there was nobody better at as Howard Cosell said diagnosing and disecting his opponent He would figure out a way to frustrate Pacman and beat him by many many rounds there are people out there with hands as fast as Pernell but they all **** and fire for power Pernell did not worry about power and just punched thus his punches always got there first peppering his opponents face with blinding speed and blinding jabs and pummeling the body for 12 rounds he shortened his opponents arms with the body punching and took the conviction out of their big bombs with counter punching he was the best body puncher of all time and one of the best counter punchers of all time oh did I say he could stand infront of you and you could not spit on him if you tried let alone land a solid punch

Comment

Working...
                      X