Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how has ggg v canelo somehow turned into a 50/50 fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's been amusing to see GoldenBoy pull it off, it's no doubt been their plan all along to make the fight seem 50/50. Whether that's actually a good representation of the odds remains to be seen.

GGG looked good but not his usual dominant self against Jacobs, and Canelo looked terrific against a much larger fighter in Chavez. The doubts were always about what GGG would look like against a top level boxer and how Canelo would handle moving up again. Those two fights were probably chosen for just those reasons, and they are making people more comfortable with the idea of this fight being pretty even... even though neither of the outcomes was particularly surprising (if anything, it was a little surprising that GGG did not win by stoppage which created disproportionate doubt about his ability).

Also, seeing a fighter that is not a MW like Brook have some success cracking GGG's defense understandably opened people to the idea that fighters who are not used to MW sized opponents could still have success on him.

And, though GGG is still a top fighter by any means, he is much older than Canelo.

I think I'm sticking with GGG to win but I can't lie when I say I'm a teeny bit nervous.
    Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 05-16-2017, 02:19 AM.

Comment

Ah shiet I definitely wrote too much but **** it, don't feel like shortening it

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx. View Post
        who the **** has GGG been fighting?? Brook then Jacobs??? he looked like **** in both of those fights and 1 was a damn unproven ww
        Pretty much this. Golovkin did earn some frequent flyer miles in that fight though.

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
          Golovkin's last 2 opponents, Brook and Jacobs at 160 lbs, are more dangerous and testing than anybody Canelo has ever beaten.

Has Canelo ever walked out to a packed arena booing and jeering him like he was a paedophile, to face a hyped up, elite opponent who surprised the heck out everybody by taking his best shots and hitting back hard enough to lift his feet clear off the canvas ... and won?

Has Canelo ever been in with a prime, power punching opponent 10/15lbs heavier than him, who came in with a great game plan that was working, and had to find a plan B, of the hoof, in order to avoid getting a boxing lesson .. and found that plan B .. apparently, without any help from his corner?

No he hasn't, and the way Oscar has kept Canelo wrapped in cotton wool throughout his career is going to be a major handicap for him to overcome next Sept.

Kell Brook would box the pants off Canelo at 160, btw.
          Man he fought ****ing Mayweather and Cotto..there is no bigger stage

Comment

Originally posted by Zaryu View Post
            I always thought it was a close fight, I just gave Canelo **** for a while for delaying the fight. The truth is Canelo is more primed for the fight now and GGG is older and losing some of that invincibility aura.
            Alvarez has always been game, but he gave testimonial to the boxing world that he would go to 160 in 1-2 years in his interview with fight hype in Oct. of 2015. Who were the Champs at 160 at the time? The only reason why Alvarez was left with the burden or expectation for anything Golovkin related was because of the WBC. Alvarez was already established and sparred him before. The irony as many posters said, and as you're acknowledging as "delayed" was from May 2016 to Sept 2017 on Nelo's terms.

Golovkin and his team acknowledged this and ditched the WBO. People need to realize the only reason Golovkin wants this bout is for the money.. same goes for Nelo. Good timing for the 26 year old soon to be 27

Comment

Originally posted by Mirko Troll Cop View Post
              Alvarez has always been game, but he gave testimonial to the boxing world that he would go to 160 in 1-2 years in his interview with fight hype in Oct. of 2015. Who were the Champs at 160 at the time? The only reason why Alvarez was left with the burden or expectation for anything Golovkin related was because of the WBC. Alvarez was already established and sparred him before. The irony as many posters said, and as you're acknowledging as "delayed" was from May 2016 to Sept 2017 on Nelo's terms.

Golovkin and his team acknowledged this and ditched the WBO. People need to realize the only reason Golovkin wants this bout is for the money.. same goes for Nelo. Good timing for the 26 year old soon to be 27
              There's a lot of truth in your post, the problem was Canelo's team also insinuated the fight could happen sooner, even negotiating for a catch weight and Canelo saying he would fight GGG right "then and there" during a post fight interview.

But overall, I'm with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Kigali View Post

If you think Canelito is more skilled than Jacobs you need to soak your head in something besides Vodka.

Put 'em in the ring together and Canelo gets STOMPED.
                Boy I can't believe it but I actually agree with you. Jacobs has the skill and power to beat Canelo.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaryu View Post
                  There's a lot of truth in your post, the problem was Canelo's team also insinuated the fight could happen sooner, even negotiating for a catch weight and Canelo saying he would fight GGG right "then and there" during a post fight interview.

But overall, I'm with you.
                  Those words are all taken out of context bro. Every man is different. Every boxer will have his way to say something, just like Golovkin saying "Ward is too much for me, not right now.." (Geale bout build up).

Let's be honest please. Kellerman has always been trolling Alvarez because it's his HBO duty to do so, but he always brought up GGG in post fight interviews and questioned "you're not afraid of anybody...maybe it's your promoter..." etc..

When a translator is whispering into your ear "fear" or "Golovkin" to thousands of fans that look up to you after winning and cheering, knowing Alvarez's lifestyle riding horses and sht on a cement street in high speed all cowboy, is it really far fetched for Nelo to say such things? How come Heavyweights are notorious for decades to dis and call out opponents (even humbly), but Alvarez can't?

Comment

Originally posted by Mirko Troll Cop View Post
                    Those words are all taken out of context bro. Every man is different. Every boxer will have his way to say something, just like Golovkin saying "Ward is too much for me, not right now.." (Geale bout build up).

Let's be honest please. Kellerman has always been trolling Alvarez because it's his HBO duty to do so, but he always brought up GGG in post fight interviews and questioned "you're not afraid of anybody...maybe it's your promoter..." etc..

When a translator is whispering into your ear "fear" or "Golovkin" to thousands of fans that look up to you after winning and cheering, knowing Alvarez's lifestyle riding horses and sht on a cement street in high speed all cowboy, is it really far fetched for Nelo to say such things? How come Heavyweights are notorious for decades to dis and call out opponents (even humbly), but Alvarez can't?
                    That's a fair point.

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx. View Post
                      Man he fought ****ing Mayweather and Cotto..there is no bigger stage
                      He did the same thing for Mayweather as Chavez just did for him, but he didn't get condemned for it because he was "just a green kid" His fight with Cotto was a good boxing match, but not the kind of tough test I'm talking about.

Comment

Working...
                      X