Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do guys with chicken legs generate more power?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short answer: no.

There is no right type of body for fighting. Boxing theory covers more than what we see on television today. Those are just good facts to know.

Deontay Wilder weighs 220ishlbs. A 9mm at point-blank range hits at 383 foot-pounds.

Ok, let's start with the guy who actually has the highest measured punch in boxing history, Rocky Marciano. The way Rock achieved his massive ft-lbs of force was by positioning for leverage, lowering his upper body, loading his punches from behind his ass, and throwing on a trajectory that favored the powerline over accuracy. Goldman's thinking was it'd be easier for Marciano to break elbows and shoulders than to actually slip past a guard. Marciano hits for 925 ft-lbs in 12oz gloves. For a reference point a .44 Magnum hits for an even 1000 at the muzzle and mid 700s at 30ft. Rock, if you've never seen him, had tree trunk legs.

Wilder doesn't use the same technique as Marciano for generating power or getting his man in position. He uses Foreman's presence, positioning, and power mix. They are more than one way to fight big. Tyson Fury and Wladimir are both far more concerned with defense and being hit so they use their size to keep distance. Wilder doesn't George didn't. The only thing they use to keep distance is offense. What they're doing to controlling when the fighting happens. It's not so important if you win the punch count in exchanges so much as force the other guy to have the exchanges and let them get a taste of your power. From there take up threatening real estate with your footwork. Strong stances that let the opponent know you're not looking to move, you're looking to kill. Once you're in position it's time for the bait, posture in a manner that's so offensively orientated you're opponent knows more or less what punch you're going to throw. Give them something they can be confident in, and when they move in give them exactly what they expected. If they're not garbage you're going to miss, but you're also going to draw them in. Now you've got them coming to you to fight on your terms while boosting their confidence. Once their confidence is up they'll start making mistakes and more or less hand you the KO because they don't think you can throw a punch they didn't expect and connects clean. There's a lot more deception and thought behind Foreman and Wilder's formula. You want your opponent to believe you're a big dummy who can't do anything but throw an obvious heavy punch.

As far as the actual punch technique, huge guys have the worst punches. I mean their powerline tends to be utter **** and they don't seem to care about 90 degree elbows at all. There is no continuous unbroken line for the kinect force to travel through their body directly into their outer three knuckles. Speaking of those knuckles they aim like they're unaware the pinky actually carries the most force in a proper punch. None of that **** matters because they're huge. Marciano hit harder than a .41 using every bit of his body weight and making sure the force he generated transferred to his opponent's bodies with as much efficiency as possible, but he only weighed 180. A guy weighing 240lbs only has to have a fraction of those elements near correct to get similar effects. If someone showed Foreman how to punch like Marciano there's no doubt he'd measure well into the thousands, but he doesn't know how. So his ****ty ill formed gorilla arm swings he calls punches merely hit for around Marciano's 900s. Wilder's no different. People call him windmiller for a reason, it doesn't change people going to sleep when he hits them for a reason. A big guy has the luxury of throwing a **** punch and making up the lack of structure by having generated so much force to begin with the purity doesn't matter. Think of the difference like this. You can bomb a target and destroy it with a bomb just large enough to destroy the target if everything goes perfectly, but if you have a bomb that is so large it destroys everything in a mile you don't need everything to go perfectly to destroy your target.

The only commonality between big man game bombing and small package bombing in baiting an inability to capitalize on fundamental mistakes.

Y'all should read books by guys who hit hard. Start with Dempsey's.

Comment

Originally posted by GMAN SUPREME View Post
      lol ok einstein so explain why a muscular boxer like tim bradley can't punch to save his life.
      Because it's technique AND muscle development.

Have you ever boxed in your life or are you just some couch potato who likes watching boxing and made an account on a boxing forum?

I think it's the latter, which is nothing wrong with that, until you start talking about stuff you have no hands on experience with. When I started sparring at 12 I didn't know how to punch hard, I had to actually learn how to, which required me to get better in technique and strength. A couch trainer won't have a clue about any of this.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
        Because it's technique AND muscle development.

Have you ever boxed in your life or are you just some couch potato who likes watching boxing and made an account on a boxing forum?

I think it's the latter, which is nothing wrong with that, until you start talking about stuff you have no hands on experience with. When I started sparring at 12 I didn't know how to punch hard, I had to actually learn how to, which required me to get better in technique and strength. A couch trainer won't have a clue about any of this.
        improving your technique and strength helps but it won't turn you into a knock out artist if you aren't naturally a puncher, but tell me more "Einstein".

Comment

Originally posted by GMAN SUPREME View Post
          improving your technique and strength helps but it won't turn you into a knock out artist if you aren't naturally a puncher, but tell me more "Einstein".
          "naturally" a puncher. Okay dude, you are clueless, there's no such thing as a natural puncher. You become one, but there's a window of opportunity that if you miss it you will be stuck with bad technique and bad habits that lead to poor punch execution and poor use of strength when it comes to punching mechanics. "You can't teach an old dog new tricks" is the same for punching power.

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
            I don't think the chicken legs have anything to do with it tbh as some have pointed out.

Wtf is this sorcery?
            Leverage in balancing weight. The big box has little leverage between the distance that's why his mass isn't as effective. The smaller box has lesser mass but has more leverage therefore it counteracts the balance despite The massive difference in mass between the boxes.

Comment

Puncher's are born not made. It doesn't matter if you have chicken legs, monster legs, skinny, fat muscular, short, tall great tecnique, horrible technique..etc. If you can punch you can punch.

Comment

Originally posted by CinderelliMan View Post
                Wilder has good technique? I have never seen it.

Lol! .

Comment

Rotation generates power regardless of size.

Look at any racket sport, tennis, golf etc... They all teach you not to smash the shot but to rotate fully. The ball always goes further.

Same applies with punching... If you've been taught even the basics by a decent coach they'll tell you to twist the ball of your foot on you back leg when throwing a cross/straight.

Same if you're throwing a lead hook... You twist the ball of your lead foot, through your leg, hip shoulder and ultimately your arm.

Comment

i wouldnt read too much into this, their are different types of punches

Those fast sharp ones you dont see that whip in and hurt you (generally from leaner guys with long limbs) then those smashing heavy ones from a stocky guy

its universally agreed that rotation is key but you swing to your strengths i suppose

Comment

Working...
                    X