No announcement yet.

Leonard Ellerbe: Floyd Mayweather fight announcement expected within days

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NearHypnos View Post
    With Pac losing I feel Floyd will be forced to consider Martinez much more now. If he fights (and beats) Canelo...what then? If he cares about his "legacy" (lmao) and tries to at least shut some fans up, I can see him fighting Martinez in a big fight come September at 154...with the winner probably retiring..unless it's Martinez. Rematch city.

But I don't know why..Floyd has been unusually quiet (unless I just am not looking hard enough) and I can't be the only one who just has that gut feeling he might get KOd his next fight...like this layoff will be the one to bite him in the ass. I'm just getting that feeling that he wont even make it to a Martinez fight in September. :|
    Floyd is always quiet in between fights.

1) He doesn't fill the role of the media's b1tch, so he's not obligated to talk 24 7. Some other fighter does

2) He understands taht his presence is diminished if we hear too much about him. He's been fighting what once a year for the last 4 years yet all the talk revolves around him

Comment

With Pac losing I feel Floyd will be forced to consider Martinez much more now. If he fights (and beats) Canelo...what then? If he cares about his "legacy" (lmao) and tries to at least shut some fans up, I can see him fighting Martinez in a big fight come September at 154...with the winner probably retiring..unless it's Martinez. Rematch city.

But I don't know why..Floyd has been unusually quiet (unless I just am not looking hard enough) and I can't be the only one who just has that gut feeling he might get KOd his next fight...like this layoff will be the one to bite him in the ass. I'm just getting that feeling that he wont even make it to a Martinez fight in September. :|
      He'll be the same old Floyd. Whatever happens happens.

The only thing I'm concerned with is biting off more than he can chew by signing up with middleweights. Canelo's a big kid - I say get him out of the way as early as possible rather than let him get better before getting in with him. No question Floyd's "better", but there are weight classes for a reason and Canelo hits pretty hard.

Martinez already is too big and too complete a fighter at his weight. Even coming down to 154, Floyd's just way too small. Cotto was different, he's a small MW. The only chance for Floyd in that fight is that Martinez is drained trying to make weight or something.

Comment

Originally posted by streetwaves View Post
        He'll be the same old Floyd. Whatever happens happens.

The only thing I'm concerned with is biting off more than he can chew by signing up with middleweights. Canelo's a big kid - I say get him out of the way as early as possible rather than let him get better before getting in with him. No question Floyd's "better", but there are weight classes for a reason and Canelo hits pretty hard.

Martinez already is too big and too complete a fighter at his weight. Even coming down to 154, Floyd's just way too small. Cotto was different, he's a small MW. The only chance for Floyd in that fight is that Martinez is drained trying to make weight or something.
        I dont disagree with the both of you completely...but I do disagree Martinez is too big for Floyd. Look at Ortiz... Look at Chavez jr vs Martinez. We can't just say Floyd is too small when you have others fighting bigger men. It's not surprising most of the top 5 p4p people have fought bigger men (Manny has, JMM has..with Floyd to be exact..Ward fought someone perceived as the bigger man as well...Martinez fought huge guys in Pavlik and Chavez Jr, and everyone has basically been bigger than him for years etc). The only one missing is floyd, really. Everyone else is stepping up. Martinez would be the bigger man on fight night, but it would be by average standards imo. Similar to a small welter fighting a big one. And that's what I Mean about Floyd biting off more than he can chew. I just don't know how sharp his edge is anymore. Don't know if it's sharp enough to survive a gauntlet at 154... I hope he's as good as ever because as much as I dislike the guy outside of the ring, he's a special dude inside.

Comment

If Floyd fights Canelo id be surprised if he then fights Martinez i would be flabbergasted if he then fights Pacquiao before retiring in a hail of Glory regardless of the outcomes i might cry of happiness and renew my faith in boxing. But oh wait back to earth, probably non of that will happen more likely is Maywather vs >insert no chance fighter here< and we will move on.

Comment

I dont disagree with the both of you completely...but I do disagree Martinez is too big for Floyd. Look at Ortiz... Look at Chavez jr vs Martinez. We can't just say Floyd is too small when you have others fighting bigger men. It's not surprising most of the top 5 p4p people have fought bigger men (Manny has, JMM has..with Floyd to be exact..Ward fought someone perceived as the bigger man as well...Martinez fought huge guys in Pavlik and Chavez Jr, and everyone has basically been bigger than him for years etc). The only one missing is floyd, really. Everyone else is stepping up. Martinez would be the bigger man on fight night, but it would be by average standards imo. Similar to a small welter fighting a big one. And that's what I Mean about Floyd biting off more than he can chew. I just don't know how sharp his edge is anymore. Don't know if it's sharp enough to survive a gauntlet at 154... I hope he's as good as ever because as much as I dislike the guy outside of the ring, he's a special dude inside.

You are spot on mate!

Comment

Yeah, but we're talking about a guy who's not in his prime anymore, fighting Martinez who is a fellow pound-for-pound fighter. I'm not saying necessarily that the fight makes no sense, but I don't think it's a fight he wins. I think Martinez overpowers him. I'm talking strictly from a "wise career choices" point of view. A Martinez fight may bring in some dough, but I don't think he can possibly beat Sergio at this point.

He can't hurt Martinez, and I think Martinez can hurt him. Martinez is also much more mobile at this point, and is a top fighter in his own right. This is the only possible fight on the horizon at this point that I would definitely bet on against Floyd. Obviously I think he schools Guerrero and Canelo still.

There has to be a limit to how much bigger the opponent can be. Everybody knows Manny's way too small to be fighting at middleweight, but I think Floyd is too at least if he's fighting an elite MW like Martinez.
              Last edited by samouraļ; 12-15-2012, 09:20 PM.

Comment

What? Floyd has been the smaller man since he moved up to 147. LMAO what alternate reality are you living in?

Comment

Probably Canelo.

Comment

I just hope it's not Guerrero; I truly thinks its going to be Canelo because he brings the most money.

Comment

"Floyd just wants to fight the biggest fights out there," Ellerbe said, though he declined to identify the targeted opponent or confirm that it would be either Guerrero or Alvarez"

If this is indeed the case and Floyd just wants to fight the BIGGEST fights out there, then this rules out a fight against Guerrero. There is nothing big about a fight between Floyd and Guerrero. Aside from Mexican boxing fans and diehards, nobody even knows who Guerrero is.

Comment

Working...
                      X