Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canelo fans, can you explain why he won't fight Golovkin?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canelo fans, can you explain why he won't fight Golovkin?

And before people jump in here about Ward. Yes, Golovkin walked away from that opportunity. But getting your shot at the lineal at 160 where you've made your bones is probably more important.
    But please, make your case. And for the record, the Khan fight is intriguing to me. A long shot for Khan, but I think Canelo is shooting himself in the foot from a star building standpoint by barely making 155 and choosing a very fast, potentially very very high rate offense, boxing savant with him.

Weak chin. Not talented enough. Not enough money.

Why get KTFO'd by Golovkin at 160 and damage your rep when you can fight Pacquiao/Khan/Brook/Bradley/Garcia at 155 for 2-10x the money and a much higher win guarantee?

People will hate you, but you can keep cashing out for 2-3 years before fighting an older Golovkin(and still probably getting blitzed) or a Golovkin coming off a Ward beat down

Comment

Not a fan... But he's going to fight GGG... And when he does haters will just find another reason to hate...

Comment

Hell fight him this year or next May too...

Comment

Oscar Bernard and Chepo know Gennady woops his ass.

I was born rediiiii doe

It's weird, Canelo fans never used to dislike Golovkin, but as soon as their ginger idol is rumored to fight him they start the hate train.

Comment

Only Pacquiao would get him more money than a GGG fight. I don't think the money excuse is valid. Now, if you're saying the pay relative to the ass whooping he'd take isn't beneficial to him right now, then I'd agree. But using $$$ as an excuse eisnt a valid excuse. People know GGG now, and I'd venture to say, that's a bigger money fight than any other fight besides Pacquaio.

Khand not exactly a needle mover among US fans. The fans that actually have to pay to watch a PPV.

Comment

Originally posted by creekrat77 View Post
              And before people jump in here about Ward. Yes, Golovkin walked away from that opportunity. But getting your shot at the lineal at 160 where you've made your bones is probably more important.
              But please, make your case. And for the record, the Khan fight is intriguing to me. A long shot for Khan, but I think Canelo is shooting himself in the foot from a star building standpoint by barely making 155 and choosing a very fast, potentially very very high rate offense, boxing savant with him.
              Canelo said he wouldn't fight Golovkin?!... News to me.

Comment

Originally posted by No Diggity View Post
                Weak chin. Not talented enough. Not enough money.

Why get KTFO'd by Golovkin at 160 and damage your rep when you can fight Pacquiao/Khan/Brook/Bradley/Garcia at 155 for 2-10x the money and a much higher win guarantee?

People will hate you, but you can keep cashing out for 2-3 years before fighting an older Golovkin(and still probably getting blitzed) or a Golovkin coming off a Ward beat down
                But the main issue is that Canelo is the lineal middleweight champion of the world. It's common knowledge now that GGG was convinced to back off and let Canelo vs. Cotto happen.

The other huge issue is that Canelo seriously seriously struggles to make 154 and rehydrates more than GGG does, coming in at around 175 fight night.

If Canelo can't make 154, and his career perspective is to fight guys coming from 135, 140 and 147 then that is completely ****ed up. When JCC Jr. had the belt at 160, imagine if he was getting the likes of Shane Mosley and Cotto to come up from 154 and fight him at a 161lb catch-weight.

It's very damaging to his integrity and character if this what his career is going to look like. I think he'd be able to keep his respect and growing fanbase even if he were to step up, fight GGG at 160, and get KO'd.
                Then he could return to 154/155 or whatever and have a star studded array of fights lined up for his resume. Say Spence, Porter, Brook, Crawford, and others want to challenge Canelo, the light middleweight kingpin, that'd be appropriate. THEN he could move up again and rematch Golovkin, an older Golovkin, and have a second shot.

Comment

Originally posted by AvoidDisaster View Post
                  Canelo said he wouldn't fight Golovkin?!... News to me.
                  Floyd said he'd fight Pacquaio. Went into negotiations in 2010. Pacquiao agreed to the terms. They beefed up the drug testing stipulation. Pacquiao's team protested and Mayweather walked.
                  I would not be surprised at all to see Oscar and Canelo walk in a cloud of smoke after negotiations falling through. And of course there going to say it's all GGG's teams fault.
                  Then they go back to the original plan. If Canelo has to fight Golovkin, let the fight marinate.

Comment

I'm not a "Canelo Fan" but he's clearly trying to remain a JMW while holding MW belts. The better question for you to ask is why he won't drop the belts or fight MWs. Take the belt equation away and one could argue that ggg needs to compromise on weight if he wants Canelo. However, until that's the case, the only thing you can criticize Canelo on is holding MW belts while demanding weight stipulations (which, don't get me wrong, is a BIG issue).

Comment

Working...
                    X