Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the best in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by ChristianBale View Post
      I didn't disagree with the shoves. Some were tiny and some were a lot. The tiny ones are equal to holding to me.

However the obvious ones are not that many and not equal to low blows. I have seen some fights where low blows are plentiful and not 2 deductions made.

Anyway read what I said again.

He said khan pushed away to run, not mentioning anything else.

I am saying he is wrong since the 2nd deduction khan pushed and punched Peterson. So how can it just be pushing to run?

Gonna have to read properly bro.
      You said the 2end deduction he pushed off and punched,he did on the break(which is also dirty and illegal)I showed you a vid,it's right in the opening..He shoves Peterson back,the ref stops the action and Khan throws a punch..But that was not his initial intent..Oh and Khan was shoving like that threw out the fight...

Comment

Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
        ******.com: What transpired in Margarito's corner that led to the fight being stopped?

SS: The conversation went as follows. Dr. [Anthony] Currerei had been monitoring Antonio's eye for a good portion of the fight, I would say from about rounds 6 and 7 on there.

I noticed that they were getting quite serious about stopping it because the chief physician, Barry Jordan, then came over to the ring. That was after Round 9 and before the start of Round 10.

******.com: What happened from there?

SS: I want to make clear that some articles had indicated that there was confusion in the corner. But the confusion, I created it. I take full responsibility for that.

For two reasons: In the state of New York, both the doctor and the referee can stop the fight. That's very, very rare. Generally speaking your international bodies and a majority of your states, it's the referee can stop the fight.

But that's on the advice of the physcian. Very rarely will a referee go against the advice of a ringside doctor. But that just gives the referee a little insight in trying to avert the stoppage.

******.com: What was the situation with Cotto-Margarito II?

SS: In this instance, when I gave pre-fight instructions, I went into Miguel's dressing room. Pre-fight there was very light, and he was in a great mood. This was my third title fight with Miguel.

When we spoke this time, he wanted me to totally give him the instruction in English, and I said that I wished that I spoke Spanish as well as he spoke English.

The key element in Antonio Margarito's dressing room was that I told him that from my perspective, he was a compete fighter.

I didn't let the fact that there was pre-fight discussions about the eye influence me in any way shape or form. I indicated that to him both in Spanish and in English that he was a complete fighter.

He had two eyes, two fists, and the rest that goes along with it. I could see a change in his demeanor when I did that. He was releived. There was a sense of relief in his face.

On my way out, his trainer, Robert Garcia, tapped me on the shoulder and said, "Steve, we're very, very happy to have you as a referee," which was very meaningful to me to think that I had put their corner at ease.

They felt like they were on a level playing field in New York.

******.com: Back to the corner?

SS: I was very hesitant to stop the fight. In light of Antonio's pleading, he really, really wanted one more round. And I don't know about you, but I had sensed a little bit of a momentum shift.

I saw him catch Miguel with a couple of shots on the ropes that had me saying, "wow, his persistance is paying off." And I would have loved to see him come out in the 10th. I really would have.

But, doctor Curreri, I was speaking with him, and Antonio and his corner was pleading, "Can we go forward," and so forth. Doctor Jordan then made a sign with his index finger and his thumb, squeezing.

That meant that he was saying that the eye was closed. And then, he told me "Steve," and with no uncertain terms, "Stop the fight."

******.com: You spoke about confusion, what do you mean?

SS: Well, I was hesitating to see if I could enlist one more round between the two doctors. Part of the confusion was that I had doctor Curreri up on the ring apron on one side.

But doctor Jordan had already given his instructions to stop the fight and was already walking down the steps. He was already on floor-level.

I didn't get the "stop the fight" sign until he gave me the sign, "it's over." So that was the situation. The hesitancy was me hoping that we could gain one more round.

******.com: Your thoughts on the ultimate ending of Cotto-Margarito II?

SS: Had it been left up to me, based on the fact that in my view, Antonio Margarito did not take a backward step for nine rounds, and just had such a great desire to go on, I would have allowed him to come out for round 10.

I would have watched him of course, but I didn't think that he took any undo punishment. And I felt that in Round 9 that Antonio was giving as much as he was getting.

So, I'm just telling you that had it been my call, I would have allowed him to come out for the 10th round. But I was totally over-ruled by experts in the field.

I'm not an eye doctor and I'm not an opthalmologist. But they thought that it was in his best interest for future life, that it was better that it be stopped.

Steve Smoger is my favorite ref and I respect his opinion, however when he says that the momentum of the fight shifted a bit in the 9th round, I think the operative phrase is "a little bit"...as in a little bit...not very much.

Imo the doc did Marg a favor.

Comment

Originally posted by lefthook2daliva View Post
          Steve Smoger is my favorite ref and I respect his opinion, however when he says that the momentum of the fight shifted a bit in the 9th round, I think the operative phrase is "a little bit"...as in a little bit...not very much.

Imo the doc did Marg a favor.
          I think he just meant that Marg landed a couple more punches than he was previously.

A result of Cotto getting tired.

Comment

Originally posted by ChristianBale View Post
            Did I say you can?

If it is the case then a lot of fitters should be penalised.

Hopkins holds almost after every combo vs a good fighter.
            Bradley has 3 head butts a fight at least.
            Mayweather uses his elbows a lot.
            Maidana rabbit punches.
            Haye rabbit punches a lot.

Those fouls are clear as well, since you mentioned Mayweather is not obvious.

Not all of Khans pushes were obvious either.
            Yes they were,which is why points have never been deducted from any of those fighters named for their fouls..The difference is Khan's was blatant..I see your gonna keep playing the victim role for Khan,so I will agree to disagree..But extended arms like I was seeing in that fight,I think the point deductions were a good call,I just don't agree that there was not a hard warning before he took the points...
            Last edited by Rome-By-Ko; 12-14-2011, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rome-By-Ko View Post
              You said the 2end deduction he pushed off and punched,he did on the break(which is also dirty and illegal)I showed you a vid,it's right in the opening..He shoves Peterson back,the ref stops the action and Khan throws a punch..But that was not his initial intent..Oh and Khan was shoving like that threw out the fight...
              What the fun are you on about? I am replying to Dempsey where he said Khan shoved to run away. My point is Khan shoved to fight also, and used that 2nd deduction as an example that Khan was not just pushing to run.

He also pushed to find space and fight.

I am not saying pushing is legal. Read FFs.

Comment

Originally posted by Rome-By-Ko View Post
                Yes they were,which is why points have never been deducted from any of those fighters named for their fouls..The difference is Khan's was blatant..I see your gonna keep playing the victim role for Khan,so I will agree to disagree..But extended arms like I was seeing in that fight,I think the point deductions were a good call,I just not agree that there was not a hard warning before he took the points...
                That video you posted clearly shows khan being pissed of at lamount pushing his head into khans face, hence he pushed lamount then told the ref "his head". It was just too one way, ref warned peterson about his head as well but didn't take a point....

Comment

double post
                  Last edited by lefthook2daliva; 12-15-2011, 02:11 AM. Reason: double post

Comment

Originally posted by Owlzfan84 View Post
                    And thats why he's the best. I enjoy reading his interviews.
                    Well I'm going to go against the popular perception that Smoger is the best. What I got from this interview was that he wouldn't criticize Joe Cooper who was a friend of his, and then calmly proceeded to criticize him at length. I also learned (as if I care) that Smoger speaks Spanish as well as he speaks English. (I care equally about that).

I have always thought that Smoger was far too lenient with obvious fouls, and has showed himself most times to be a ref who will allow fighters to carry on when they are obviously
                    already suffering derious damage. I don't think anyone has been killed during or after one of his fights, but am not sure. I DO know, that in their future, there may be many fighters who will have early Parkinson's Syndrome from taking too much punishment in the ring. Just think, 2 good guys, Floyd Patterson and Ingemar Johansen, both died from brain damage inflicted in the ring, at comparatively very early ages.

You guys who love to see blood flow, faces swell, and fighters' guts spilled all over the canvas, should have been born in Ancient Rome, where you could have seen as much blood as you craved.

It aseems to me that only Dracula craved more, and I woudn't be certain I'm correct on that.

Comment

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
                      Well I'm going to go against the popular perception that Smoger is the best. What I got from this interview was that he wouldn't criticize Joe Cooper who was a friend of his, and then calmly proceeded to criticize him at length. I also learned (as if I care) that Smoger speaks Spanish as well as he speaks English. (I care equally about that).

I have always thought that Smoger was far too lenient with obvious fouls, and has showed himself most times to be a ref who will allow fighters to carry on when they are obviously
                      already suffering derious damage. I don't think anyone has been killed during or after one of his fights, but am not sure. I DO know, that in their future, there may be many fighters who will have early Parkinson's Syndrome from taking too much punishment in the ring. Just think, 2 good guys, Floyd Patterson and Ingemar Johansen, both died from brain damage inflicted in the ring, at comparatively very early ages.

You guys who love to see blood flow, faces swell, and fighters' guts spilled all over the canvas, should have been born in Ancient Rome, where you could have seen as much blood as you craved.

It aseems to me that only Dracula craved more, and I woudn't be certain I'm correct on that.
                      Well, the ref is only one factor when it comes to blood and such. Doctors are there, and also the fighters own trainers. He can not be blamed alone.

There are a lot of refs who stop fights too early.

Comment

Working...
                      X