FNR4 Review - After a Week

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FNR4 Review - After a Week

Guys,

I decided to wait on a review of the game until I had put some time into it and gotten a bit further ahead in its learning curve.

Graphics - Very nice, a little too shiny sometimes (the fighters look like they were oiled or something.

Fluidity - Most of the time it works great, except I find that sometimes the period of time that is given to throw a counter is too big, especially considering the fact the counter is the #1 punch in the game (more on this later)...

Controls - It takes time, but now I can throw 3-4 punch combos that land consistently. Haymakers are rare and must be timed VERY well.

My serious gripes:

I am currently 16-0 and at Contender level in legacy mode (after starting a new one and realizing some training exercises are best simulated, or my skill level is still to low. I achieved champion level skill in the double bag, open sparring, and staying on your feet)

I managed 11 knockouts in my first 12 fights, but the "difficulty" level is now a bit higher. I cannot understand how I can out land a fighter by 120+ punches, have twice as many power punches and STILL be the only guy dropped in the fight, always around R7-R8. I am then forced to get on my bike a la De la Hoya and jab my way to a decision victory. At the level I'm now (rank 18 and below) though I'm usually beating the snot out of the other fighter and blocking more than him, the fact he gets in more counters leaves me with less health than them at the end...

Why? The AI does not throw enough. I can get counters in and hurt the computer, but their output is so low that I am countered at almost 2x as much (my 20 counters to their 30-35). The difficulty is now that everyone I get in the ring seems to be a JMM, not only that the effect of the counter is seriously exaggerated. I've been stunned by the first punch thrown in the fight, after I've clocked the guy 8-10 times without being scratched...

After the first five rounds, the AI starts "reading your mind". No matter how I combine my punches, they seem to be able to block 80% of the time. Its like they turn into Mayweather all of a sudden. You can throw a double jab, followed by a left hook to the body and a right upper and it will block all but the initial jab WTF.

I'm trying to adjust to this new "difficulty", but after getting dropped by Paulie Malignaggi with a counter.... Still won the fight, but getting dropped by Paulie is BS.

Anyways, it is a great game in its own right, the best boxing game in available and the best in the series.

"after getting dropped by Paulie Malignaggi"

so much for being a realistic game!!!

Comment

Go into the options and put the "AI punch output" up high. It is set right in the middle of the slider. If you put it up to the top, they will throw tons of punches.

Comment

Originally posted by Merseysideblood View Post
        Go into the options and put the "AI punch output" up high. It is set right in the middle of the slider. If you put it up to the top, they will throw tons of punches.
        damn... I didn't explore all that stuff, just went right in to the fighting. Hmmm..

I'll see how that affects the way the fights play out.

Comment

I KOed my friend the other day when I was Malignaggi and he was Ortiz. Doesn't seem as far fetched now, as it did then.

Comment

Originally posted by Hallaqsillaq View Post
            damn... I didn't explore all that stuff, just went right in to the fighting. Hmmm..

I'll see how that affects the way the fights play out.
            I haven't tried it myself, but I'm sure the computer will throw alot more punches.

Comment

Are there any sliders for the countering and blocking he mentioned? I have only played the game a few times but it seems like what the TS said is true. Coutnering is a big part of winning and it seems easy to outpoint the other guy but trying ti knock him out is impossible....Lefty

Comment

Originally posted by LEFTYGUNZZ View Post
                Are there any sliders for the countering and blocking he mentioned? I have only played the game a few times but it seems like what the TS said is true. Coutnering is a big part of winning and it seems easy to outpoint the other guy but trying ti knock him out is impossible....Lefty
                I'm not sure about the counter slider, I haven't took much notice in the sliders yet. I just remember seeing the punch output slider.

I have been able to KO guys without counters, I just wear them down for about 8 rounds and then lay into them. But I agree, countering is the biggest part of the fighting. Without counterpunching, KO's would be very rare.

Comment

I'm not sure about the counter slider, I haven't took much notice in the sliders yet. I just remember seeing the punch output slider.

I have been able to KO guys without counters, I just wear them down for about 8 rounds and then lay into them. But I agree, countering is the biggest part of the fighting. Without counterpunching, KO's would be very rare.
                  Yup. This is what I do as well. I've managed to time a haymaker upper at times and KTFO a fighter near the end of the fight as well.

Also, I've learned to only throw punches when my stamina is at its highest, otherwise punches do NO damage.

Comment

I agree in real life boxing that coutner punching can be much more effective then leading. Most often you get countered and getting hit when you least expect it (when you are throwing a punch or combo) often hurts the most....So in that respect the game is real....Lefty

Comment

Working...
                    X