No announcement yet.

Paul Williams "I'll Walk Again"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Williams "I'll Walk Again"

Former world champ, Paul Williams, has made his first public statement since suffering a career-ending motorcycle injury Sunday that will likely leave him paralyzed from the waist down.

"[Doctors] told me there's a very slight chance of walking, because the spine was, like, crushed, or whatever," Williams told 11Alive News in Atlanta, Georgia. "I should be able to sit up on my own. But as far as me walking, and all that, it's all on me. I'm going to be walking, I know that. That's how I feel."

The fighter, best known for victories over Antonio Margarito and several other main stage fighters, is reported to be in good spirits despite the devastating injury and, according to his manager, has even talked about one day getting back in the gym.

Williams was scheduled to face Saul Alvarez on September 15th for Alvarez's WBC junior middleweight title.

Those who have followed the career of Williams and have seen him fight know that the lanky southpaw with the gentlemanly demeanor and warrior's heart is not one to be taken lightly. The fighter, once known as "Boxing's Most Feared Fighter," has been up against the odds before and has always battled back with bravery and class.

Of course, this fight is much greater than the one he had with Antonio Margarito or his battle in the first bout with Sergio Martinez.

Williams, though, is classy even after suffering through an accident that many would've used as justification for being bitter and angry.

"If I can't walk, then, oh well. 'Hakuna Matata,' [No Worries]. I'll be on a boat fishing," Williams said.

All in all, Williams leaves the sport with a record of 41-2 with 27 KOs and a reputation as a true "throwback" fighter. He is a two-time former WBO welterweight champion and interim WBO junior middleweight titlist. Over the course of a twelve-year professional career, "The Punisher" earned a reputation as a fighter most top stars opted to avoid. Despite competing in the same weight class as stars such as Manny Pacquiao, Floyd Mayweather, Miguel Cotto, and Shane Mosley, Williams was only able to land bouts with other fighters who were also avoided by the sport's elite.

"The Punisher" Paul Williams is a true champ and whether he regains his ability to walk or not, there's no doubt that he will continue to display the class and courage his fans have come to expect.

you get em champ, we all love and support you!!!

Comment

Even if he walks again, he better not step in a ring. One wrong move or punch and he will be worse off.

Comment

I knew it, Robot legs.

Comment

WILLIAMS!! What a guy I cant believe he's still upbeat after that. The guy is a living legend and I know he will walk again.

Comment

That's the attitude champ!

Comment

Originally posted by chibomber View Post
              Even if he walks again, he better not step in a ring. One wrong move or punch and he will be worse off.
              It would be considered a miracle if he walks again. Miracles happen everyday in medicine but they are still unlikely. If he is able to beat the odds, I'm pretty sure he will have no intention of fighting again.

I love the attitude and even if he were to never walk again, life is not over. You can still use a wheelchair to move around. Yes, life will be harder but you can still do a lot of the things you used to do when your legs worked fine.

Comment

Guerra Williams!

Comment

WHAT?! God damn that ****ing sucks. I didn't even know this happened to him, what a tragic thing.

Comment

Best of luck to him.

Comment

Working...
                    X