No announcement yet.

Jorge Arce's Greatness?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jorge Arce's Greatness?

How do you rate him on a ATG scale? Is he a top 100?

He's held world title in 4 weight division's(Although he only held the WBC INTERIM title at Flyweight)

He made 7 defence's of his WBC Light Flyweight Title.
    1 defence of his WBO Light Flyweight Title.
    4 defences of his WBC interim Flyweight Title.
    1 defence of the WBA interim Super Flyweight Title.
    And he's also won the WBO title at Super Flyweight & Super Bantamweight

He holds wins over Yo-Sam Choi, Melchor Cob Castro, Rosendo Alvarez, Martin Castillo, & Wilfredo Vazquez Jr.

I find his record very impressive. He has great longativity, and he's really went through the weights and fought the best of the best.

ATG? yeah OK. Top 100? naw, I could easily think of 100 fighters better

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Bob View Post
      ATG? yeah OK. Top 100? naw, I could easily think of 100 fighters better

Easily? Do tell!

Comment

arce is a great action fighter... he is one of my all time favorites... but i honestly think he still dwells in a level below gonzalez and carbajal...

him avenging his loss to darchinyan and/or mijares or beating sum1 like donaire might make me change my mind though...

Comment

Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post
          arce is a great action fighter... he is one of my all time favorites... but i honestly think he still dwells in a level below gonzalez and carbajal...

him avenging his loss to darchinyan and/or mijares or beating sum1 like donaire might make me change my mind though..
          Don't count on it. He doesn't have much power at jr. feather, he's just active and throws with intent. Against an average fighter like WV2, that's enough. Darchinyan and Donaire both destroy him and I don't know enough about Mijares to make a judgement. But Arce is a great great fighter. Top 100? Maybe, but I don't think so just based on gut feeling. Top 150? Certainly.

Comment

is undeniable

Comment

He's ok. Lots of fun but about as much an ATG as Leo Gamez. He lost, most of the time badly, to the best of his opponents outside of Choi or caught guys who were shot (like Alvarez and Castillo). Arce's 'four' titles show off how easy it can be to cherry pick with not only four belts per class but also interim crap if one is above average and granted enough opportunities. His belt at 115 was, literally, almost a thanks for trying award after losing in every attempt to win a belt there. he was basically given a belt for beating a no hoper. The belt last weekend came against someone who was realistically a mid-level to marginal top ten 122 guy in a down period for the division.

Love to watch Arce, but a 'great' he ain't.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
                He's ok. Lots of fun but about as much an ATG as Leo Gamez. He lost, most of the time badly, to the best of his opponents outside of Choi or caught guys who were shot (like Alvarez and Castillo). Arce's 'four' titles show off how easy it can be to cherry pick with not only four belts per class but also interim crap if one is above average and granted enough opportunities. His belt at 115 was, literally, almost a thanks for trying award after losing in every attempt to win a belt there. he was basically given a belt for beating a no hoper. The belt last weekend came against someone who was realistically a mid-level to marginal top ten 122 guy in a down period for the division.

Love to watch Arce, but a 'great' he ain't.
                I am in absolute agreement with this statment.

Comment

HOF material by far. ATG maybe but that is pushing it. Top 100 hell no

A badass? For sure

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                    I am in absolute agreement with this statment.

i tend to be a bit more liberal with my standard of great-making qualities in fighters than some of the others on the board

pardon me for boiling it down, but at some level you know a great fighter when you see one

i saw one on saturday night beating the stuffing out of an unbelievably talented, younger, stronger, and faster man

yeah, vasquez junior has only been boxing for a handful of years and if i remember correctly had zero experience in the amateurs,
                    but you couldn't tell that from looking at the kid.

plenty of folk in the boxing community have been asserting that arce likely punched his ticket into canasta w/ his fight with vasquez
                    i don't think he's going to get in five years to the day after he retires
                    it could be quite some time
                    and he's certainly one of the least crafty men to be in the hall of fame

but i cant think of many contemporary men (especially of similar size) that deserve to get the nod that are going to keep arce out year after year after year

another big win or two isn't going to hurt his chances either
                    and he does appear to have at least a bit left in the tank
                    Last edited by New England; 05-11-2011, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X