No announcement yet.

"Good Eye" Charlie White

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Good Eye" Charlie White

I just tonight ran across a name I hadn't encountered before, "Good Eye" Charlie White, 'referee extraordinaire.'

It seems this guy's reputation was impeccable. His highest praise comes from Jack Johnson.

Days before the Johnson-Jeffries go in Reno there was concern that Johnson wouldn't accept any second referee as back-up to Tex Rickard, but when Johnson was shown a list of six possible alternatives (which included Bat Masterson) Johnson conceded to Charlie White, and only Charlie White.

That is high praise for the man's integrity; we know Jack Johnson was very nervous that he would get 'jobbed' if the chance prevailed.
    Last edited by Dempsey-Louis; 06-09-2018, 02:20 AM.

Originally posted by Dempsey-Louis View Post
    I just tonight ran across a name I hadn't encountered before, "Good Eye" Charlie White, 'referee extraordinaire.'

It seems this guy's reputation was impeccable. His highest praise comes from Jack Johnson.

Days before the Johnson-Jeffries go in Reno there was concern that Johnson wouldn't accept any second referee as back-up to Tex Rickard, but when Johnson was shown a list of six possible alternatives (which included Bat Masterson) Johnson conceded to Charlie White, and only Charlie White.

That is high praise for the man's integrity; we know Jack Johnson was very nervous that he would get 'jobbed' if the chance prevailed.

Good stuff, man! That was a great find. I wonder if he can find some info. on what made this referee get such praise!

Comment

Yes would be interested to know that as well. And if he's considered better than Arthur Mercante, Sr. often called the Class of Boxing.

Good eye is what my little league coaches used to say because I drew a lot of walks. Haven't heard or seen that term since then.

Comment

Any further updates coming on this? Interested.

Comment

Just can't find much on him, that's why I posted, hoping others might.

Here are two news articles where White disqualified 'One Round' Hogan.

Referee Charlie White seems to have walked away from it unscathed.

It is hard to imagine today a ref DQing a fighter in the first round for hitting on the break; no mention of taking points away, probably not an option; someday I would like to read the Frawley law.

Cross and Hogan met again eight months later; Cross by KO in three. Young Corbett was the ref this time. I wonder if that was the boxer, Young Corbett?

Comment

P.S. In 1900 Charlie White refereed Corbett-Jeffries I at Cony Island, and Corbett- McCoy ay MSG.

There is much controversy surrounding the Corbett-McCoy fight I am going to try to find out how White fit into that picture.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey-Louis View Post
                hahaha. Wouldn't get into the ring until he got his dough. I like him already

Comment

This guy's resume is worth the browse; the list of ATG (1895-1916) will make you smile.

He even got to DQ Mysterious Billy Smith once; and ref fights for the original Joe Walcott, plus much more.

http://boxrec.com/en/referee/401639
                  Last edited by Dempsey-Louis; 06-12-2018, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X