Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you believe in the new rejuvenated Miguel Cotto?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you believe in the new rejuvenated Miguel Cotto?

Or do you think he's the same old Cotto who lost to Trout and Mayweather?

Has he been made to look good with opponent choice, or is he simply a better conditioned, harder hitting, more energetic and attacking fighter now?

Where does boxingscene stand on this? (vote in poll)
    Yes
    45.19%
    No
    50.96%
    He's on PEDs!
    3.85%
    Last edited by Weebler I; 06-12-2015, 10:36 AM.

this is the best he has ever looked. physically he looks stronger and mentally he looks more focused. i think this is the perfect weight for him. + he has improved his boxing iq

Comment

New Cotto in the sense that he has a trainer who makes use of all his strengths. Roach has always been good with offensively strong fighters anyway so him and Cotto are a perfect fit. I was very impressed with his boxing skills, defence and punch selection vs Geale. Roach gets a lot of flack but if you have a solid skill set and good attack, Roach is great trainer. (Pacquiao and Cotto). I honestly think he would be a good fit for Matthysse (or Robert Garcia)

However, Canelo and Golovkin will both beat him as well as Mayweather. Cotto should move down from 160.

Comment

Yes and no.

I think Cotto has done well with Roach in that he's rejuvenated his offensive mindset.

Saying that, he's beat Delvin Rodriguez, a finished one legged Martinez and Geale who is probably the lightest hitting 160 going right now.

I'm not taking credit away from those wins, because Cotto did what an A level fighter would do vs them, but Canelo, Mayweather, and Pac are not anywhere close to the level of those guys.

He may have built confidence, but I don't know if it will be enough to win vs Canelo IMO.

Comment

he looked good against danny geale; better than expected.

still, geale's last big fight ended with him quitting, and he was drained of weight. he's never been a talent. you can't put a ton of stock into that win.

i think cotto's got a shot against canelo. canelo should, and will be favored. still, cotto has a shot. he boxes well, has power, and he's one of hte more experienced fighters in boxing who still ahs something left in the tank.

he will not fight golovkin. i'm confident of this. his team will avoid that fight if at all possible, and force a 155 lb catchweight if they cannot avoid it.

Comment

he appears physically fresher than i thought he was. i guess that perhaps it was a confidence issue before rather than a physical one. i mean trout's a decent fighter but someone of cotto's calibre should be dealing with him. now that he's got his head right i think he has a great shot at beating canelo. canelo may prove too tentative/cavalier and be beaten to the punch

Comment

Originally posted by Salim_Shady View Post
              New Cotto in the sense that he has a trainer who makes use of all his strengths. Roach has always been good with offensively strong fighters anyway so him and Cotto are a perfect fit. I was very impressed with his boxing skills, defence and punch selection vs Geale. Roach gets a lot of flack but if you have a solid skill set and good attack, Roach is great trainer. (Pacquiao and Cotto). I honestly think he would be a good fit for Matthysse (or Robert Garcia)

However, Canelo and Golovkin will both beat him as well as Mayweather. Cotto should move down from 160.
              He would be a great fit for Matthysse. Good call on that. I would love to see that duo get made, but I don't see Lucas changing it up anytime soon.

Comment

He's fighting weight drain opponents wait till he fights a full 160 pound middleweight and no one legged fighters either

Comment

No. Cotto's always been a high level fighter, but his recent opponents and their conditions are making him look great. Clottey and Trout would still give him trouble.

Comment

he does look pretty solid, looked pretty good vs geale, in offense and defense. still, should not fight GGG

Comment

Working...
                    X