Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adalaide Byrd, Judging at it's finest.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread was made a few weeks back I posted saying "She sounds like an idiot. She has been judging fights for a while and she can't give us one solid fact on how to judge a fight, instead opting for phrases such as "in my experience". It's as if there is no set standard on how to judge a fight and it just depends what one particular judge feels like. She proves this by saying "I never score 10 - 10"... notice the "I".... what the hell do you mean "I"... surely there should be one rule on how to score and judge fights that all officials abide to.... what a mickey mouse operation, it turns out judges make up their own rules of scoring dependent on their mood."

Comment

Originally posted by El Angel View Post
      In certain cases of course, it could be seen as lazy judging. Or it could also draw you to make distinctions between the fighters that just aren't there. They should be not commonplace or anything, but they're 10-10 rounds and should be judged as so. Just like judges should give out 10-8 rounds for more than just KD's, but also for dominant rounds when a fighter hurts his opponent, but doesn't put him down, or doesn't get a ruled KD, i.e. Bradley-Provodnikov.
      I did not feel a 10-8 rd was warranted at any point in the Bradley Prov fight..While Prov did hurt Bradley(more then once)Bradley always fought back,not to mention was always winning the rd before being hurt..10-8 rd should come,only if the fighter who was hurt was fighting on even terms or winning,or of course was KD..Nothing in that fight said 10-8 rd for either fighter at any point imo..

Comment

I agree with some of the things she said,and some things not so much..But one thing is certain..She is one of the best judges in the game..IMHO..

Comment

I hate 10-10 rounds, and only give them if neither guy throws or lands anything.

If guys are throwing punches, then someone landed better. I don't care if it's one punch, someone did better.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
            I hate 10-10 rounds, and only give them if neither guy throws or lands anything.

If guys are throwing punches, then someone landed better. I don't care if it's one punch, someone did better.
            I can give you a rd,watch the Khan Peterson fight..Rd 9..I scored that rd even,I felt both guys were hurt in the rd..Both guy's fought on pretty even terms imo..You have to make exceptions at times,as a judge you must judge the right times to make these exceptions..Which is not always popular,but sometimes are fair..

Comment

I don't like 10-10 rounds either

Me personally, when I encounter a situation where damn...nobody made a statement in this round, I almost always give the round to whoever is the champion. Call it lazy, but I suppose I'm just at the mindset that its the challenger's job to take that title, and if its a 10-10 affair, then in my mind, the challenger didn't do his job, therefore the round goes to the champion.

I think a majority of officiating issues could be resolved if judges are at a different vantage point. Their point of view is extremely limited and they're not seeing a fight from the angle as say fans watching. They have both the best and worst seats in the house to do their job.

Comment

Originally posted by JmH Reborn View Post
                I don't like 10-10 rounds either

Me personally, when I encounter a situation where damn...nobody made a statement in this round, I almost always give the round to whoever is the champion. Call it lazy, but I suppose I'm just at the mindset that its the challenger's job to take that title, and if its a 10-10 affair, then in my mind, the challenger didn't do his job, therefore the round goes to the champion.

I think a majority of officiating issues could be resolved if judges are at a different vantage point. Their point of view is extremely limited and they're not seeing a fight from the angle as say fans watching. They have both the best and worst seats in the house to do their job.
                What if neither are Champions?

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                  She's an absolute disgrace. Get educated and look at her history of odious calls. Even a broken clock is right twice...

What bad calls? I can not recall a single bad call she has ever made and after looking I can not see a single one.

Perhaps you could point out the bad calls she has given..

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?hum...judge&pageID=1

Comment

Originally posted by craigus1990 View Post
                    What if neither are Champions?
                    Sheesh...I am still recovering from my drink-a-thon

Naw though, if they're both non-champs, or even both of them are division titlists; then right or wrong, give the edge to whoever is favored to win. This may be a complete cop-out and even wrong, but the same principle in my mind holds true about a champ vs challenger.

If you have Gary Russell vs TBA in their 6th fight; Gary is the more popular fighter over TBA. I'm of the opinion that its TBA's job to press the action just a little bit more and definitively get that W. So if we're in a situation where 10-10 happens, I'll probably lean towards Russell because TBA didn't do enough.

But...and here's the caveat, I wouldn't hold it against someone if they gave it 10-9 to TBA, because TBA probably and most likely has a larger uphill battle to climb to score even with Russell, so that could be considered a win for TBA, and I totally respect that.

Tonight I think is going to be a real test in scoring. You have two beltholders, one a star, the other in my opinion a better fighter. Tonight is going to be in my opinion lots of swing rounds, lots of 10-10 opportunities. I don't know how its going to turn out. I'm going to have to drink a **** load of cranberry vodka to prepare for tonight. Although Trout has the better resume and has shown to be a better fighter, unless he totally makes Canelo look clueless in there, pot-shotting isn't going to win him the fight and he has the feel as being the challenger; so he's going to need to step on the gas. 10-10 rounds just may go in favor of the hometown guy.

I guess in the end, this little monologue proves that boxing is just too damn subjective.

Comment

Originally posted by JmH Reborn View Post
                      Sheesh...I am still recovering from my drink-a-thon

Naw though, if they're both non-champs, or even both of them are division titlists; then right or wrong, give the edge to whoever is favored to win. This may be a complete cop-out and even wrong, but the same principle in my mind holds true about a champ vs challenger.

If you have Gary Russell vs TBA in their 6th fight; Gary is the more popular fighter over TBA. I'm of the opinion that its TBA's job to press the action just a little bit more and definitively get that W. So if we're in a situation where 10-10 happens, I'll probably lean towards Russell because TBA didn't do enough.

But...and here's the caveat, I wouldn't hold it against someone if they gave it 10-9 to TBA, because TBA probably and most likely has a larger uphill battle to climb to score even with Russell, so that could be considered a win for TBA, and I totally respect that.

Tonight I think is going to be a real test in scoring. You have two beltholders, one a star, the other in my opinion a better fighter. Tonight is going to be in my opinion lots of swing rounds, lots of 10-10 opportunities. I don't know how its going to turn out. I'm going to have to drink a **** load of cranberry vodka to prepare for tonight. Although Trout has the better resume and has shown to be a better fighter, unless he totally makes Canelo look clueless in there, pot-shotting isn't going to win him the fight and he has the feel as being the challenger; so he's going to need to step on the gas. 10-10 rounds just may go in favor of the hometown guy.

I guess in the end, this little monologue proves that boxing is just too damn subjective.
                      Thanks for the lengthy answer. I personally don't mind a 10-10 round and don't buy into the "whoevers champ and/or favored" stuff. The job of a judge is to be impartial. The popularity/previous achievements of a boxer should play no part in saying who won or lost a round and should only be judged as the rules state. But you are totally right, see my original post, judging should have better guidelines as to what to look for in a fight, at least that way boxers know what they have to do to win! Far too subjective. I got Trout tonight by TKO or UD, I think he will outclass Canelo but nobody knows, thats what makes it a great match up!

Comment

Working...
                      X