Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jhonny Gonzalez vs Rafael Marquez: Who wins and who do you rank higher?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jhonny Gonzalez vs Rafael Marquez: Who wins and who do you rank higher?

What are your thoughts on these 2 Mexican warriors?
    Who do you think would have won had they fought? And who was the more proven fighter with better wins on their resume? Are they both Hall of Fame worthy in your opinion?

In a way they were both similar in style in which they fought very conventional with textbook skills (in a way they had a stance similar to Ricardo Lopez), along with dynamic offense and huge punching power. Their fragile chins and defense were their weakness.
    Last edited by Flo_Raiden; 06-17-2014, 02:09 PM.

H2h Marquez was always alittle shaky with big punchers, Marquez is a lot more skilled but he can be rocked, dropped, and even stopped.. I think a fight between Rafael and jhonny would look very similar to the first Vasquez fight..

In terms of rankings, I would probably rate Marquez higher at this point but it's close after the ko win over mares for jhonny.. If jhonny can get some more big wins over the likes of a donaire, Russell, loma, etc then I think he can surpass Rafael, but for right now Marquez is higher..

Comment

Yeah, Marquez has had the better career up to this point. But if Gonzalez keeps winning he might give Rafael a run for his money by the time he is through.

Comment

Marquez is HOF worthy. Not too sure about Gonzalez. Don't really think so. At their best, Marquez wins. They both could be rocked and hurt, but Marquez was better all around, and the more accomplished fighter overall. Had some losses early and then late, but a brilliant run in his prime as a p4p fighter.

Wins over Tim Austin, Mark Johnson x2, Israel Vasquez x 2, mauricio Pastrana x 2, Silence Mabuza x 2, etc.

Gonzalez has some excellent wins too. Quite underated overall in fact. Mares, Hasegawa, montiel, Pacheco, vorapin, old Johnson, etc. he was more inconsistent than Marquez though and has losses scattered throughout his career in some up and down fights. But yes, if he keeps it up he could very well deserve induction. Hell, he may already.

Comment

Working...
        X