Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Mike Tyson the greatest P4P and inch for inch heavyweight of all time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I heard Tyson liked to fornicate with many different women so he must've been a solid 10 inches. I think inch for inch that's pretty good.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
        Ali was one of the taller fighters of his era , and Frazier had more reach and a few inches on Tyson ,Frazier vs Buster Mathis grossly overweight will show Tysons superiority bc Tubbs when Tyson fought him was superior to Mathis who at 6'3 and 240 gave Frazier a hard time directly bc of size even with health issues .
        Despite height, Ali was not a big guy. Around 210 to 220 I believe. Around the same as Mike. But, I think Ali was a much better boxer (even though I'm more a fan of Mike).

Anyway, we could debate this stuff forever and not get anywhere. I think a prime Tyson was focused enough to beat just about anyone. My problem is that he wasn't able to sustain that. Lifestyle and mental issues fked him up pretty early on and I have to take that into account.

Comment

Originally posted by LockardTheGOAT View Post
          Someone Tyson's size having his success today would be even more impressive considering how much taller and bigger heavyweights are now.

I mean, you got guys like Klitschko as high as 6'6, and Tyson Fury as tall as 6'9. Imagine how much they would DWARF someone Mike's size lol.
          People are bigger now then in times past but giant heavyweight boxers have always been around including boxers just as tall and heavy as Fury and Wlad. Canera was the world heavyweight champion for a while in the late 1930s and he was 6 ft. 6 inches and a rock hard 260 pounds, Jess Willard was the world heavyweight champ in the late 1910s and he weighed 250 and was 6 ft. 6 inches tall. Giant heavyweights are seldom the best heavyweights. Their huge size often works against them. They are often slower, have worse stamina, and can't take a punch as well as more normal size heavyweights. Bigger doesn't always mean better. In boxing history the very best heavyweights have seldom been giants and that is still true today. A good heavyweight of 210 to 230 lean pounds has an excellent chance to beat even the giants like Fury.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
            Despite height, Ali was not a big guy. Around 210 to 220 I believe. Around the same as Mike. But, I think Ali was a much better boxer (even though I'm more a fan of Mike).

Anyway, we could debate this stuff forever and not get anywhere. I think a prime Tyson was focused enough to beat just about anyone. My problem is that he wasn't able to sustain that. Lifestyle and mental issues fked him up pretty early on and I have to take that into account.
            Ali weighed 206 when he won the title. He was as light as 202 in world title defenses. The heaviest he was before he was forced out of boxing for almost 4 years was 210 pounds. When he returned to boxing he weighed more but he was never as good as the old Ali who refused to join the army and was forced out of boxing. He was still great but not as great as the young Ali.

Comment

Tyson was one of the fastest HWs of all time and doesn't get nearly as much credit for his speed as his power. His speed, head movement and combinations is what brought the KOs. But, once D'Amato was out of the picture he got away from Rooney and his head wasn't in the game. At his best he could hang with all the great HWs. I actually give him the advantage over Ali, Frazier, Norton, Louis, Marciano, and many others. However, I think Liston, Foreman and a prime Holmes beat him.

Comment

So Tyson is measured in in/lbs now?

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                  In my opinion Tyson was not the best heavyweight in history pound for pound. The inch for inch stuff is meaningless since real size is weight, not height. Tyson was actually a big heavyweight and always weighed at least 220 rock hard, lean pounds even as a 21 year old. He weighed more than a prime Liston or Foreman so the idea he was a small heavyweight is false. Dempsey only weighed about 180 pounds when he won the title from 250 pound Willard. They listed his weight as 190 to avoid the fight being declared a miss match and canceled. Marciano only weighed 184 in street clothes and full of food 8 hours before his fights back in the same day weigh in days. Joe Louis weighed 198 pounds when he won the title. These heavyweights and a few other heavyweight champions were much lighter in weight than Tyson and pound for pound they were better than Tyson.
                  That's the steroid age for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post

Yes but the thread is about height an reach. a big guy ali was IN HIS day. Tyson for HIS era was not..come on you know this Redd...lol

Ali was not a better boxer ,he was hit to much and enjoyed reach,Tyson had to reinvent the HW fighter at 5'10 and he had Cus to do that,not so easy at age 15 when he started. Its not about sustaining its about what impact he had on the sport and fighting game.

im not challenging Alis reighn or ATG status,certainly tyson is not included with a short peak.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
                      Yes but the thread is about height an reach. a big guy ali was IN HIS day. Tyson for HIS era was not..come on you know this Redd...lol

Ali was not a better boxer ,he was hit to much and enjoyed reach,Tyson had to reinvent the HW fighter at 5'10 and he had Cus to do that,not so easy at age 15 when he started. Its not about sustaining its about what impact he had on the sport and fighting game.

im not challenging Alis reighn or ATG status,certainly tyson is not included with a short peak.
                      Don't want to belabor this but, just to clarify, because the thread title said "of all time", not "for their era" so that's how I was resounding.

Comment

Working...
                      X