Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How come ppl say Marciano isn't the greatest of all time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shoulda, woulda, coulda.

at the end of the day hes the only hw champion to retire undefeated. On paper, hes the best.

Comment

Originally posted by GAR1680-Boxing View Post
      While I definitely think Rocky is pound-for-pound one of the greatest ever based on his accomplishments and having retired undefeated, it’s not possible to refer to him as the greatest. That’s because he had the misfortune of fighting during an era when the quality of heavyweight opponents was at its lowest in boxing’s history.

I think Rocky would have had a very hard time winning had he fought Harry Greb or Gene Tunney during the 20’s, or Joe Louis during his prime in the 30’s and 40’s. And regardless of what Muhammad Ali later said, I think Ali would have beaten Rocky. He simply had a lot more skill.

By the way, doesn't this thread belong in the "History" part of this forum? Oh, well. No harm done. Good question for a nice thread.
      Based on what???show me some of his fight footage

Comment

Originally posted by Burner © View Post
        He's ****in garbage. There I said it.
        If someone said "Muhammed Ali is ****in garbage", how would you feel?

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
          "He fought in a weak era"

People say that when they are trying to discredit a fighter. Marciano is underrated.
          So his era wasnt weak??discuss please...i'd love to hear your take on how great his era was

Comment

Originally posted by MR. LARRYX View Post
            Cause his resume is shallow and he fought in a weak era...he was tough as nails and beat who he had to beat and i wont take anything away from him...but he is not the greatest
            Ali is the greatest heavyweight ever cause he has the greatest heavyweight resume hands down......and lets not act like Marciano beat a prime Louis..i know you are trolling with an alt but damn try harder
            for some reason i cant get the ali 6 loss thing out of my head when thinking of him as "the greatest" idn maybe its just me

Comment

Originally posted by killamoneymike View Post
              for some reason i cant get the ali 6 loss thing out of my head when thinking of him as "the greatest" idn maybe its just me
              lol,really...,in your opinion what was Marcianos best top 5 wins?

Comment

Some people act like he was a fluke or something when he is the only undefeated HW champion.

Heck even Ali himself said he didn't know who'd win in a fight between him and Marciano.

Coming from Ali thats basically like admitting defeat considering how much **** Ali used to talk.

IMO, Rocky doesn't get the credit he deserves. I think prime Rocky, would have beat prime Mike Tyson, would have beat prime Ali, would have beat prime Jack Johnson, Joe Louis, ect.
                Thats mean if Floyd retired today is he the greatest fighter of all-time? I think not.

Comment

The undefeated thing really doesn't mean anything, given that he retired when he was still on top.

Joe Calzaghe never lost; Ezzard Charles lost 25 times. Which guy is the greater fighter?

Marciano is an ATG in my book, but just barely. I rank him around #10 or #11 on my all-time heavyweights list. P4P he maybe cracks the top 100.
                  Last edited by SBleeder; 01-03-2013, 11:27 AM.

Comment

lol,really...,in your opinion what was Marcianos best top 5 wins?
                    doesnt matter, he beat ezzard charles and joe walcott 2 times each, archie moore, and has knocked out a lot of people very impressively. and i have never seen a knockout more brutal than him vs joe walcott. hell, a lot of people thought joe walcott was DEAD.

regardless of his competition which may not have not been the stiffest in hw history, you cant just discredit him for that reason considering how impressive he was. i think even with stiff competition he would have emerged victorious.

Comment

Sigh. How old are you?

Ali lost three of his last four fights when he was completely shot. The other two losses? Both were past his prime, one against an ATG, the other against a borderline ATG.

Losses mean that you fought the best.

Ezzard Charles lost 25 fights. Is he not an ATG? Is he not the greatest LHW of all time?

Comment

Working...
                      X