No announcement yet.

Should Cotto get a new trainer or stick with Santiago

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Cotto get a new trainer or stick with Santiago

His last fight was hard to judge because of the cut, but I think Cotto still may need a different trainer. Poll to come
    Santiago
    2.94%
    Evangelisto (his uncle, not sure if I spelled his name right)
    8.82%
    Jeff Mayweather
    2.94%
    Floyd Mayweather Snr
    2.94%
    Roger Mayweather
    2.94%
    Ronnie Sheilds
    0.00%
    Emmanuel Steward
    50.00%
    Other
    29.41%

New trainer. Nacho is the right guy.

Comment

I hate to base this on one fight, but I do think he needs another trainer. I didn't see a lot of guidance coming from Santiago.

Comment

I think Cotto needs a new trainer.

He needs a trainer that will teach him to clinch when in trouble and to avoid the ropes because he is vulnerable there.

Also someone that can teach him some defense, especially against uppercuts.

Comment

I new trainer may help but I always worry when guys change up the formula right before a big fight.

Comment

Santiago didn't say **** between the rounds except " You got to win the last two rounds!!", wow that's helpful you moron.
            I don't know who that guy trained before. Cotto was alone the whole night. Nacho is a great idea, but in the list Manny Steward is the best one for Cotto.

Comment

The question is, can Cotto learn something new at this stage of his career? He has been basically with the same trainer for his entire career and I wonder if he could legitimately change at this stage.

Personally I think Cotto needs stamina work and someone to just stress the details of his defense and offense. I think Nacho would be a dream matchup for him, I don't think there is a better trainer when talking about the details of the fight game.

Comment

Manny Steward is not the trainer for Cotto. When looking at most of Manny's fighters, the common problem between all of his fighters was stamina and getting gassed towards the end of the fight (examples: Tommy Hearns, Wlad Klitschko (at least while he was with Manny), and Kermit Cintron (who has gotten better with this problem since switching to Ronnie Shields)). Cotto has a little bit of problems with finishing strong (since he sometimes gets tired towards the end of fights) so Manny wouldn't be his best option. I think Cotto should go with Joe Goosen (Chico Corralles' former trainer) or Ronnie Shields. My first choice would be Freddie Roach but since the Pacquiao fight is pending, Roach would stick with his current fighter and it would not happen anyways. GOOSEN or SHIELDS.

Comment

He needs somebody to get his defense tightened up. Steward is good at that.

Comment

Naseem Richardson seems to be the best choice AFAIC. Goosen is a great second choice, tho, with Nacho being a close third. Manny won't be able to teach much to Cotto and, like someone said, his fighters tend to gas out the end (look at Jermain Taylor).

Comment

Working...
                    X