No announcement yet.

Does Duran Outdo Floyd At Beating manny

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
    He ballooned up between the two fights and was drained clearly. The Duran in the first fight was not the same Duran in the rematch. He did not box his ears off. It was a close fight. The announcers even said that and considering how most announcers in the '80s bashed Duran every chance they got(especially Al Bernstein) then they must have thought it really was close, which it was. Leonard never knew what was coming at him in the first fight. Duran, the natural lightweight, came up and beat a prime natural welterweight champion and Olympic gold medalist. It was an accomplishment second to none and had nothing to do with Leonard's choices. That is a cop-out to say that Leonard was better all along which is opinion- not facts as you claim. The accomplishment was so great that it's very hard to repeat and Duran was not at his best at all for the rematch. The only real fight of the three was the first- that was a classic. The second and third fights were garbage fights compared to that first one which was a real war between two very talented champions. Besides, this thread isn't even about the rematch. I brought it up, but you blew it up...son.
    Well let's get one thing straight here, the first fight was razor thing and leonard won the last 3 rounds of the fight...probably had 2 rounds at most separating them ..in fact the Italian judge scored 8 rounds even that how close it was...leonard for what ever reason chose to not back pedal and use his natural advantage in speed. That's why duran bashed him at every chance because he was stationary lol...it's right in front of you eyes man...watch the videos....I rate duran a lot...in fact he is in the top ten all time list along with leonard....duran has always struggled with boxers period....he did it with benitez, he did it with leonard and even Laing ..he even got out boxed by Esteban dejesus in the first fight..don't tell me about boxing...don't discredit just because your fighter didn't come prepared for the 2nd fight....there is actually a video on YouTube of duran and leonard in the studio before the 2nd fight and duran was in trim then search it....your see and he is also saying this time he will knock leonard out......duran was never diclplined for his fights...many times arcel had to drag him out of bed to train for fights...that was his makeup and it wss his way......the first leonard stayed on the ropes and chose to fight him toe to toe because duran got to him mentally...that ws Durans only way of winning the fight by making a close quarter fight....the 2nd fight leonard boxed his ears off..he was 2 rounds ahead on two judges and 3 the other...now when you consider that leonard lost the first 7 rounds out of 9 in the first fight...that's why I say leonard boxed his ears off...he made him....he never had cramps or fever ...he just could not beat leonard in a boxing match that's it...even the first fight if leonard had boxed then duran would not have won...simples it was proven in the 2nd when leonard used speed and the ring....don't discredit leonard because at the end of the day broke him mentally and that's what beat duran the 2nd fight.....not because he was out of shape....if he was out of shape he would not have come in at 146 pounds lol.....know your facts..And I mean the real facts.....durans temperament was only thing that was below par in terms of dedication

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
      They fight at 147.

No Mas Duran vs manny that faced Floyd
      You already are setting it up in Manny's favor doe.

The Duran that fought Leanord on the rematch still has a great chance at stopping Pacquiao.

Pacquiao is taylor made for Duran, jumping in and out with his hands down? please. It could only take a couple of shots to take him out.

I dont see Duran losing to Pacquiao's style, wish is far different than leonards.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve plunger View Post
        Well let's get one thing straight here, the first fight was razor thing and leonard won the last 3 rounds of the fight...probably had 2 rounds at most separating them ..in fact the Italian judge scored 8 rounds even that how close it was...leonard for what ever reason chose to not back pedal and use his natural advantage in speed. That's why duran bashed him at every chance because he was stationary lol...it's right in front of you eyes man...watch the videos....I rate duran a lot...in fact he is in the top ten all time list along with leonard....duran has always struggled with boxers period....he did it with benitez, he did it with leonard and even Laing ..he even got out boxed by Esteban dejesus in the first fight..don't tell me about boxing...don't discredit just because your fighter didn't come prepared for the 2nd fight....there is actually a video on YouTube of duran and leonard in the studio before the 2nd fight and duran was in trim then search it....your see and he is also saying this time he will knock leonard out......duran was never diclplined for his fights...many times arcel had to drag him out of bed to train for fights...that was his makeup and it wss his way......the first leonard stayed on the ropes and chose to fight him toe to toe because duran got to him mentally...that ws Durans only way of winning the fight by making a close quarter fight....the 2nd fight leonard boxed his ears off..he was 2 rounds ahead on two judges and 3 the other...now when you consider that leonard lost the first 7 rounds out of 9 in the first fight...that's why I say leonard boxed his ears off...he made him....he never had cramps or fever ...he just could not beat leonard in a boxing match that's it...even the first fight if leonard had boxed then duran would not have won...simples it was proven in the 2nd when leonard used speed and the ring....don't discredit leonard because at the end of the day broke him mentally and that's what beat duran the 2nd fight.....not because he was out of shape....if he was out of shape he would not have come in at 146 pounds lol.....know your facts..And I mean the real facts.....durans temperament was only thing that was below par in terms of dedication

You should iron that out with Sugar Ray Leanord, he's the one that said his plan was to make the rematch at the right time since he had people who knew Duran was letting himself go and getting ridiculously out of shape.

Comment

Originally posted by ElMeroChingon View Post
          You should iron that out with Sugar Ray Leanord, he's the one that said his plan was to make the rematch at the right time since he had people who knew Duran was letting himself go and getting ridiculously out of shape.
          Duran was always known to do that ...it was no secret with his training methods.....but I will say Duran had plenty of time to get in shape...he is a professional athlete and his job is boxing....it's that simple....and Durans track record was never good against pure boxers..it's been proven many times....if you judge the first as you see it was razor thin...if you judge the second fight when Leonard moved and boxed he was ahead.....it's plain on YouTube when Ray arcel talks after the fight...he had no idea why Duran quit....he said he was in shape....just watch the fights it's a completely different style both times...close inside fighting and then total boxing lol

Comment

Your use of "boxed his ears off" got old the first time. You don't have to repeat it over and over. Haha. Duran was not the same fighter in the second fight. It's that simple. He did balloon up and he was not of the right attitude. I agree that he shouldn't have quit, but come on. He only quit against Pat Lawlor and that was due to an injured shoulder. He never quit in any other fight in his career, but in the first fight, he cut off the ring and nailed Leonard with all kinds of shots due to his in-fighting and making it an inside fight. Every boxer who loses to a fighter who likes to brawl doesn't lose "out of choice". They get beat when they start fighting the brawler's fight, but this goes beyond that. This was Duran at about his peek. He drew Leonard in. Leonard didn't choose to fight his fight. It was his reactions. He couldn't help it. Leonard was a great boxer and I give him plenty of credit, but he didn't give Duran a boxing lesson. Duran had become a great boxer himself at that point. Look up videos of his techniques on youtube. There are plenty on there. Against Palomino he was doing things most brawlers never pick up on and most boxers for that matter. One guy at the fight commented on one of the videos that lots of people left the arena about two rounds into the rematch. They knew Duran didn't show up and that this was not the great Duran. So what was the point? He quit because Leonard was hotdogging and acting like a clown. He thought he was doing the right thing by holding up dignity in the sport. It definitely backfired on him, but really, he was right. In the 40s and 50s and even the 60s, the crowd would have booed and tossed trash in the ring at Leonard's ridiculous tactics. It was over all, a big drop in class and a bad day for the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by ElMeroChingon View Post
              Exactly. Hell, watch Beyond the Glory. He says it himself. Don King agreed and probably helped bring Duran down by shoving food, booze and broads in his face the whole time. Denial, man. Flat out denial.

Comment

Your use of "boxed his ears off" got old the first time. You don't have to repeat it over and over. Haha. Duran was not the same fighter in the second fight. It's that simple. He did balloon up and he was not of the right attitude. I agree that he shouldn't have quit, but come on. He only quit against Pat Lawlor and that was due to an injured shoulder. He never quit in any other fight in his career, but in the first fight, he cut off the ring and nailed Leonard with all kinds of shots due to his in-fighting and making it an inside fight. Every boxer who loses to a fighter who likes to brawl doesn't lose "out of choice". They get beat when they start fighting the brawler's fight, but this goes beyond that. This was Duran at about his peek. He drew Leonard in. Leonard didn't choose to fight his fight. It was his reactions. He couldn't help it. Leonard was a great boxer and I give him plenty of credit, but he didn't give Duran a boxing lesson. Duran had become a great boxer himself at that point. Look up videos of his techniques on youtube. There are plenty on there. Against Palomino he was doing things most brawlers never pick up on and most boxers for that matter. One guy at the fight commented on one of the videos that lots of people left the arena about two rounds into the rematch. They knew Duran didn't show up and that this was not the great Duran. So what was the point? He quit because Leonard was hotdogging and acting like a clown. He thought he was doing the right thing by holding up dignity in the sport. It definitely backfired on him, but really, he was right. In the 40s and 50s and even the 60s, the crowd would have booed and tossed trash in the ring at Leonard's ridiculous tactics. It was over all, a big drop in class and a bad day for the sport.
                And btw, I'm not knocking the strategy of letting Duran blow up and then kill him with weight drain. Duran should have been more disciplined. It was a sharp move on Leonard's part, but it was part of his game. On the documentary Hands of Stone, Leonard admits it plain as day. Duran also assumed he'd get a third fight either way. Of course, that didn't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
                  does he get to use his horse steriods?
                  only the ****tails mammy and the gay one are using

Comment

So spitting at Leonard's wife and calling her a whore ..is that class ?.... Funny how you have one rule for one and not for the others...as I said Duran was a great fighter and one of my favourites....Cassius clay would mock and taunt fighters (Liston,Terrell ) in the ring so Leonard doing it was not a new thing and you make it sound like it was the whole fight...it was just 2 minutes of the 7th round lol....all the other rounds Leonard constantly beat Duran to the punch...even when he was briefly on the ropes he out scored him..nailed him from the outside and was ahead on all score cards....simply because he never stayed on the ropes long enough for Duran....that's a fact and when he sensed Duran was getting more frustrated by Leonard movement that's when he taunted him....in my eyes that's a genius thing to do....the cowardly thing to do is give up because things are not going your way and especially when your paid 8 million for it......as I said Duran won the first fight because Leonard chose to lay on the ropes and trade with him....the 2nd fight Leonard used his natural advantage in foot and handspeed and boxed him.....one of the first words the commentators said in Montreal was Leonard's flat footed and after the first exchange ...Leonard wants to trade with him lol.....Duran insulted Leonard's manhood and that's why it was a brawl the first fight and that's the only reason why Duran won...and your not out of shape if you come into the fight at 146 when you weighed the same in the first fight lol

Comment

So spitting at Leonard's wife and calling her a whore ..is that class ?.... Funny how you have one rule for one and not for the others...as I said Duran was a great fighter and one of my favourites....Cassius clay would mock and taunt fighters (Liston,Terrell ) in the ring so Leonard doing it was not a new thing and you make it sound like it was the whole fight...it was just 2 minutes of the 7th round lol....all the other rounds Leonard constantly beat Duran to the punch...even when he was briefly on the ropes he out scored him..nailed him from the outside and was ahead on all score cards....simply because he never stayed on the ropes long enough for Duran....that's a fact and when he sensed Duran was getting more frustrated by Leonard movement that's when he taunted him....in my eyes that's a genius thing to do....the cowardly thing to do is give up because things are not going your way and especially when your paid 8 million for it......as I said Duran won the first fight because Leonard chose to lay on the ropes and trade with him....the 2nd fight Leonard used his natural advantage in foot and handspeed and boxed him.....one of the first words the commentators said in Montreal was Leonard's flat footed and after the first exchange ...Leonard wants to trade with him lol.....Duran insulted Leonard's manhood and that's why it was a brawl the first fight and that's the only reason why Duran won...and your not out of shape if you come into the fight at 146 when you weighed the same in the first fight lol
                      No, it wasn't classy, but Leonard's BS was annoying and made the fight a circus. The more you keep saying "that's a fact", the more desperate you sound. We're not going to agree on this. I see it my way and you see it yours.

Comment

Working...
                      X