No announcement yet.

Overrated and underrated big fights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    Except the fact that the fight wasn't very competitive.
    Tyson more than held his own for some 4 rounds but even when Holyfield started taking control, Tyson was still landing big shots. A great fight isn't simply guys landing punch for punch, it's the drama, the atmosphere, the historical relevance, all those things. Holy/Tyson had those in spades.

Comment

Originally posted by The Smash View Post
      Barrera-McKinney and Gatti-Rodriguez were that year, which makes it even more insane.
      I think lots of people really enjoyed watching Holyfield beat down Tyson, which probably shaded their view of reality when picking the FOY. Both of the fights you listed were clearly more exciting.

Comment

A lot of people might disagree but I think Hagler-Hearns is very overrated. Outside of some moments in the first round, the large majority of that fight belonged to Hagler in one sided fashion. Over the years that fight has been embellished into a three round slugfest.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
          A lot of people might disagree but I think Hagler-Hearns is very overrated. Outside of some moments in the first round, the large majority of that fight belonged to Hagler in one sided fashion. Over the years that fight has been embellished into a three round slugfest.
          I kinda agree... Yes hagler pretty much dominated after the first 2 mins of action.. But what makes it great is that it was 2 atg, in their prime, in a huge fight, throwing down hard.. Both guys came to destroy the other.. We never see that in other big fights like Oscar-tito, floyd-manny, etc.. This was a kirkland-angulo type fight but at a much higher talent and skill, and a much bigger fight in general..
          I really can't name another huge fight where the guys went that hard, right from the opening bell.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
            I kinda agree... Yes hagler pretty much dominated after the first 2 mins of action.. But what makes it great is that it was 2 atg, in their prime, in a huge fight, throwing down hard.. Both guys came to destroy the other.. We never see that in other big fights like Oscar-tito, floyd-manny, etc.. This was a kirkland-angulo type fight but at a much higher talent and skill, and a much bigger fight in general..
            I really can't name another huge fight where the guys went that hard, right from the opening bell.
            This this this this this.Cant co-sign this enough

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
              Gatti vs Ward
              Corrales vs Castillo

both overrated fights
              Uh huh...right right

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                That's true. I can definitely look at it from that perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                  it pains me to agree with you, but Hagler vs Hearns is very overrated. The reasons which you point out. Yet other than myself, i have yet to read another poster mention or accept Hearns broke his right hand in the opening round?.. it is fact that is what happened, just like "Battle of the long count" or "The Fan~Man" fight.. Hagler had nothing to do other than "walk down" Hearns after the opening round...Pryor vs Arguello (2) Mancini vs Frias, Ali vs Foreman... were just as exciting a opening round as Hagler vs Hearns.

Comment

Nobody denies Hearns broke his right hand. It just didn't cost him the fight. Employing the wrong strategy by trying to go toe to toe with Hagler did.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                      And many more.

Fight of the year was more so most anticipated event of the year back then.
                      Could you name a few more? I'm in the mood to watch some fights I haven't seen in a while.

Comment

Working...
                      X