No announcement yet.

fighting a tall southpaw

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe you're right.
    I'm not happy with the trainers. Although I'm just doing this as a hobby, at the same time I'm paying lots of money for this gym and I get **** all tuition. The trainer doesn't even bother to do mitts with me. He rarely has any advice to give.
    When I found out the name of my opponent at the gym, he said something like "He's tall, a southpaw, and he's aiming to become pro." I was like "For real?!" then he said, "Haha, no, I don't know, I'm just joking."
    So I checked out the dude's gym website and yeah, tall southpaw training to become a professional. Only when I found this out did he start giving me advice and the other trainer start doing a few rounds with me on the pads. Literally 2 days before the match

Comment

Listen up and this is the way it goes!

If your not a guy with potential who wants to fight on a gyms amateur team or turn pro why would a trainer give you the attention you think you need?
      You are paying him but for what, individual training?
      If you don't fight amateur or pro but you have sparring abilities to help active fighters in the gym then you bring VALUE to the gym.
      I had a guy in my gym for 10 years who fought once in 10 years and beat the state champ but never fought again. He could spar with anyone in the gym from 147 up to 170 and give very good work! That's Value! I charged him nothing after his second year he became a fixture and a valued member.

Ray

Comment

But NOBODY in the gym is an amateur or pro. Every one is doing it as a hobby.

Comment

Find a REAL boxing gym with REAL trainers and REAL fighters.
          You can't learn from someone who wants you to "punch to the chest so your chin stays tucked".

Your wasting time and money with "boxing lessons".

good luck, Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
            Find a REAL boxing gym with REAL trainers and REAL fighters.
            You can't learn from someone who wants you to "punch to the chest so your chin stays tucked".

Your wasting time and money with "boxing lessons".

good luck, Ray
            Well said Ray.

Comment

I started as a tall southpaw (since I put some weight on me I'm a regular sized southpaw right now for my weight class) and back then my biggest problem were brawlers, when I learned how to fight on different distances the thing that gives me more problems is feinting, you are not sure if you should throw or not so it messes with your rhythm a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by YNG View Post
                I started as a tall southpaw (since I put some weight on me I'm a regular sized southpaw right now for my weight class) and back then my biggest problem were brawlers, when I learned how to fight on different distances the thing that gives me more problems is feinting, you are not sure if you should throw or not so it messes with your rhythm a little bit.
                Most tall guys use the Klitschko method in the gym. They lean back just so much and the guy sparring hits air.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                  You sound like your preparing for a fight! Are you sparring or fighting this guy?
                  If you have trainers why haven't they prepared you to deal with southpaws?

If you let the concept of dealing with a southpaw consume you you'll be a mental mess.

First thing to do is be yourself. A jab works against everyone if your's is a good one. The right lead or lead hook lead both work against southpaws depending on the southpaw, they're NOT all the same. If the guy is all about distance and boxing than you need to pressure him from what ever side he's vulnerable on.
                  There are a lot of techniques used against south paws but the truest most valued method for success is no different from boxing a conventional fighter. Back him up!

You better find out if the "spar session" is just that or a fight?
                  My guess is your looking at it as a fight, just ask if your going full out or not!
                  You better whats expected when you spar or your going to be taken advantage of.

Ray
                  Ray is spot on. Is it a spar or a fight?!?? If it’s sparring you are thinking too much into it

Comment

Working...
                  X