Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Andre Ward being overrated for his performance against weight-drained Dawson?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
    Nobody can just win on this forum fair and square and be credited this place never changes.

Dawson didn't have to accept the fight but he did, he is the #1 LHW in the world but Ward outclassed, beat up, and made him quit right there in the ring.

It could easily be considered one of the best recent wins any fighter has had in any division.
    nah. it will never surpass floyd-baldomir.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
      nah. it will never surpass floyd-baldomir.
      Thats true I mean Baldo beat Judah ffs!!

Comment

Thats true I mean Baldo beat Judah ffs!!
        yep. floyd made him look like a journeyman in that ring. greatest thing i have ever seen and ever will see.

Comment

Originally posted by PinoyNation View Post
          And if you take the headbutts out of it Kessler was getting clearly outclassed by Andre.
          A fight is 12 rounds. Chavez was getting out-classed by Martinez but still could have won. Kessler couldn't see in the second half of the fight.

Just because you start fast, doesn't mean you can throw headbutts without sanction to blind an opponent for the second half of the fight.

I think Ward is a great fighter btw.

Comment

Nobody can just win on this forum fair and square and be credited this place never changes.

Dawson didn't have to accept the fight but he did, he is the #1 LHW in the world but Ward outclassed, beat up, and made him quit right there in the ring.

It could easily be considered one of the best recent wins any fighter has had in any division.
            I can't agree with that, it was very apparent to me that Dawson just wasn't the same at 168, he was clearly weight-drained and that effected his performance and possibly the outcome of the fight.

If Dawson hadn't been weight-drained, I think the fight would be totally different, it's very likely he'd beat Ward. Being severely weight-drained can completely reduce a good fighter into a mediocre one, it's no minor thing. There are a quite a few examples out there, Pacquiao-De La Hoya is possibly the most obvious one.

Comment

Find it hard to believe that people really think that Ward can be denied of anything after that fight. I think it's just anonymous internet hating.

Comment

Originally posted by FlatLine View Post
                I can't agree with that, it was very apparent to me that Dawson just wasn't the same at 168, he was clearly weight-drained and that effected his performance and possibly the outcome of the fight.

If Dawson hadn't been weight-drained, I think the fight would be totally different, it's very likely he'd beat Ward. Being severely weight-drained can completely reduce a good fighter into a mediocre one, it's no minor thing. There are a quite a few examples out there, Pacquiao-De La Hoya is possibly the most obvious one.
                He came in unofficially at what he normally does for LHW fights, weight drained nothing Ward just took his jab away which is his primary weapon and without it he was ineffective.

Comment

Originally posted by FlatLine View Post
                  I'm not sure what you mean by troll thread but while Ward won the Super Six, his performance against Abraham wasn't as good as Frochs, his performance against Green wasn't as good as Kesslers, he had the easiest route to the final (because he fought Green) plus he had home advantage for the entire tournament which just shouldn't have happened and to me diminishes the achievement greatly.

Then, he goes on to fight a severely weight-drained Chad Dawson.

I recognize Ward's talent, I just think there are a lot of factors you overlooked when you made your statement.
                  That's all that needed to be said.

The biggest stinks about decision wins happened to be in Europe.

Ward beat the 2nd ranked SMW in the world 3000 miles east of Oakland.

But seeing as Oakland and Atlantic City happen to be on the same land mass geographically, it must have been home town cooking.

I DO see why people ***** and moan about Ward fighting in Oakland some what. But people have gone as far as to say "jet lag" as an excuse.

Anybody that has ever stepped foot on a fucking plane will tell you that traveling West to East is worse then the opposite.

Ward is top 5 P4P. If you don't think so, then you probably have a nationalistic or racial bias.

Or maybe just a troll.

On here, they are pretty much the same.

Comment

ward doesn't want the catch weight right from the beginning... he knew what version of dawson will show up come fight night... its just another easy payday for ward with no effect on his resume other than draining a fighter 1 whole division...

but yup, he is a great fighter for winning the super six nonetheless...

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
                      A fight is 12 rounds. Chavez was getting out-classed by Martinez but still could have won. Kessler couldn't see in the second half of the fight.

Just because you start fast, doesn't mean you can throw headbutts without sanction to blind an opponent for the second half of the fight.

I think Ward is a great fighter btw.

But Chavez didn't win...and instead was just dominated... :|

Had a broken face, is being fined, possibly suspended, and possibly being sent to rehab...and is in rock bottom.

Kessler got off easy with a few headbuts. :P

Comment

Working...
                      X